Game background appear out of alignment suddenly when hit play.

winged_boxwinged_box Member Posts: 52

I already placed the beginning of my background to fit just nice at the 'X' position point '0' related to scene, every time I hit play it all go just nice.

Today when I hit play, the background got adjusted more to the right side. I have to shift it to the left and make it out of screen a bit then it will appear to fit just nice again when i hit play.

Is it a gamesalad bug?

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

HI @winged_box‌

Well, if it is a bug, it never used to be! Seriously, are you certain you've not got a change attribute x coordinate of the background actor somewhere? Uncheck Moveable as well, might help, possibly. A third thing it could be: a change attribute scene.Camera.Origin.x

Hopefully it's one of those things...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• winged_boxwinged_box Member Posts: 52

@gyroscope said:
    HI winged_box‌

Well, if it is a bug, it never used to be! Seriously, are you certain you've not got a change attribute x coordinate of the background actor somewhere? Uncheck Moveable as well, might help, possibly. A third thing it could be: a change attribute scene.Camera.Origin.x

Hopefully it's one of those things...

I don't have any actors that change my background attribute x, I tried to check for anything that could cause it but can't find anything wrong.

About the Camera.Origin.X may I know where can i view it?

edited April 2014

If you haven't changed the Camera origin via a Change Attribute behaviour, I doubt it's that then....

Also, if you did change either of the camera origins directly, you'd see the result even before you've previewed...But for the record, go to Scene and click on the tab Attributes, then the word Camera then Origin, you'll see the x and y co-ordinates there...

So I'm a bit baffled now.. if this is just a straightforward background, try replacing the actor completely, to see if that helps.

Just thought: is your game for the iPhone? If so, if you chose iPhone with RI, but in Preview, then chose Legacy iPhone and Letterbox (or some variation on that theme, as it were) you'll see bands either side of your background, making it appear it's moved over...

If it's not that, I'll have to think yet again...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

The origins are all good, please take a look at my screenshots on before and during preview.

Notice, the background suddenly shifted more to the right.

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870

Have you tested it on a device and seen if it does it on there as well?

Nope, how do I export it and test it on a device?

You need a Developer License from Apple to install apps to your phone, and even to install the GameSalad Viewer. Do you have a license?

edited April 2014

No, do I need to pay any fees to get one?

Speaking of testing it on my device, I don't even know how to do that yet.

edited April 2014

Setting up your devices/computer with licenses and profiles is another beast within itself. I can post some videos you can watch. And yes, a Developer License from Apple is $99 a year.

Watch some of our buddy Dave's videos on this. He has several, you can just look through all his videos to see which ones pertain to iOS profiles, and installing the viewer and such.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dsouza41

edited April 2014

Some excellent advice from @SlickZero there....

OK, after a bit of detective work with your image grabs (overlaying them in Photoshop) I deduced (Watson) what's going on... not why it's going on – but hopefully that'll be easier to find now...

From the overlay, I discovered that some elements of the scene - the glow of the moon on the right, the platform and the silhouetted trees - are exactly in the same place; what's different is the bushes.

Which leads me to the question: so is the bushes graphic is separate, and is a parallax layer? Got to be, surely....

Is there any rules/behaviours of any sort in that actor's rules?

edited April 2014

@gyroscope said:
    Some excellent advice from SlickZero there....

OK, after a bit of detective work with your image grabs (overlaying them in Photoshop) I deduced (Watson) what's going on... not why it's going on – but hopefully that'll be easier to find now...

From the overlay, I discovered that some elements of the scene - the glow of the moon on the right, the platform and the silhouetted trees - are exactly in the same place; what's different is the bushes.

Which leads me to the question: so is the bushes graphic is separate, and is a parallax layer? Got to be, surely....

Is there any rules/behaviours of any sort in that actor's rules?

The bushes is not a separate image, it's the background.

@SlickZero said:
    Setting up your devices/computer with licenses and profiles is another beast within itself. I can post some videos you can watch. And yes, a Developer License from Apple is $99 a year.

Watch some of our buddy Dave's videos on this. He has several, you can just look through all his videos to see which ones pertain to iOS profiles, and installing the viewer and such.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dsouza41

Thanks SlickZero for all the information, got to save up some $$ now.

edited April 2014

@winged_box said:
    The bushes is not a separate image, it's the background.

Then how do you explain that the moon glow/shadow and the bare trees match up exactly in both images you supplied, yet the bushes don't?

Still - despite that - if you're saying that the bushes, the trees and the moon glow are all on one image, (and just one part of it is magically shrinking without the other elements doing the same :wink: ) just delete this strange actor, delete the one image in the Inspector and the Library - reimport your one image, place it in an actor, place the background image again. Try that.

@gyroscope said:
    Still - despite that - if you're saying that the bushes, the trees and the moon glow are all on one image, (and just one part of it is magically shrinking without the other elements doing the same :wink: ) just delete this strange actor, delete the one image in the Inspector and the Library - reimport your one image, place it in an actor, place the background image again. Try that.

The moon and sihouetted trees is not the background so is not affected, is only my background image which show the brown and black colour sky with the bushes (actually those are tress) having issue.

I did what you asked but still the same issue. I also realised something, after i removed the interpolate behaviour the image appear exactly at the spot I want it to be. The moment i add in that behaviour again the same issue occurred.

edited April 2014

OK, we're getting somewhere: so just as I suspected, the bushes/small trees are a different image to the moon and silhouetted trees - you must have misunderstood me, because you said all these elements were on one image.... maybe it was because I didn't mention the black sky... anyhow, whatever, we're at least talking about the same thing now!

So, now we know your bushes/low trees and sky image has some rules/behaviours in it -the Interpolate behaviour. Can you please post exactly how your using this behaviour, as well as write down any other rules/behaviours in that actor?

edited April 2014

I thought you were asking me if the bushes is a separated image from the background so i said no because those are actually the background image.

Funny thing is, i started this rule at the very beginning and there is noting wrong until when my project size got bigger and start to take some time to start running when I hit play then this issue occurred.

Below is my rules for it:

edited April 2014

@winged_box said:
    I thought you were asking me if the bushes is a separated image from the background so i said no because those are actually the background image.

Hey ,sorry I wasn't clear enough - we were obviously talking about the same thing but thought they were different! Still, OK now.

So your interpolate is moving your background to -30 over a set time, i.e moving it to the left - yet it shows, in your image grabs, as moved to the right.... I'm not understanding this....

Sorry again, I'm stumped on this one....

@gyroscope said:
    Sorry again, I'm stumped on this one....

It's alright, I think it could be a bug.

Guess i just have to shift it out to the left a bit.

• iKlazzyiKlazzy Member, PRO Posts: 71

I've been having the same problem stated. If i position my background in the creator so that the preview shows it with no gaps, then when I preview it inside the ios simulator there is a gap. The crazy thing is, the gap on the ios simulator is on the other side. What I have concluded is that GS preview is shifting the background to one side when I shouldn't. The ios simulator is the view i would go by