Why have GameSalad been unable (due to time, presumably) to implement free choice of fonts?

ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,351
edited April 2014 in Tech Support

A question aimed at the GameSalad team more than anything. I've been pondering the issue of custom fonts. Right now we have a choice of 14 fairly standard fonts. For the life of me I can't figure out why, though. It would seem that there are two possibilities:

1. GameSalad don't use the font files but essentially "recreate" the fonts using the vector data that a font is essentially composed of. For each font added, there is considerable work bolting it on to the GameSalad framework.

2. GameSalad don't want enter any mess of legal/financial issues regarding the inclusion of other fonts.

I have no doubts possibility 3 is what's really happening, though.

I had assumed that GameSalad just grabs hold of a font (stored inside the Gamesalad binary, as they don't seem to pull it from the system at runtime, and don't store it anywhere else I can see in the application bundle Scratch that - they DO seem to pull it from the system library at runtime). I took a look at the NIB for the display text behaviour and it seems to support that conclusion. If so, though, adding fonts shouldn't be more than a minor amount of work, and 2 must presumably be the reason more aren't added. If that's so, though, there are plenty of CC fonts that would make an amazing addition to GameSalad.

Being able to take any font on your system and pump it into GameSalad to be used, as most applications allow, would be the idea situation. So, for the nosey and curious of us out there, why do we only have 14 fonts? Please get as technical as you want!

Edit: Further experimenting has resulted in me being able to confirm that fonts ARE pulled at runtime, and it is possible to deny GameSalad access to fonts. This presumably means that it is in fact possible to trick GameSalad into thinking one font is another font.

Comments