Do you use png optimizer (lossy compressor) on you pngs to save on disk space?

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited March 2014 in Tech Support

Do you use pngquant, tinypng or some thing like that does lossy compresson to shrink you pngs on disk?

The reason I ask we currently do NOT support this on 0.11.0 or the nightly build.

I wanted to know how many GameSalad Devs actively use this

Comments

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited March 2014

I never heard of it either.

edit:

I did use Tinypng on my last game saved a ton went from about 125mb down to 50mb. I ran 1280 images through it, and it was worth it.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited March 2014

Wait, tinypng is the same thing right? I have used that after someone pointed to it on the forums. Also, what is the deepblue apps image majiggy using, anyone know? @DeepBlueApps

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Yes tinypng does the same thing

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited March 2014

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Yes tinypng does the same thing

Well, then I'd like to change my answer to fuuuuuuuu!

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

Never heard of it?

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

No but I regularly save images in paint.net using the optimized png option...

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

How much space does it actually save?
    I mean are we talking 5%, 15%?

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956

I don't use this program specifically, but I always try to optimize my images. My next project uses upwards 3000 images at 1200pixels each... so it'll be bloated no matter what, but the optimization helps immensely.

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited March 2014

@BlackCloakGS Maybe you should change the title of this poll to something less misleading like "do you use ANY png compressor...(we do not support it in the RC/nightly)".

If you are saying that you do no longer support replacing image files in the "images" folder via "show package content" then I seriously hope you will reconsider. This would impact our bigger projects really bad.

I will go out on a limb and say that any and all GS devs. (or at least the vast majority) who is not an absolute beginner use some sort of png compressor since the advantage gained in MUCH smaller image file sizes / project size is so much greater than the tiny (in practice) disadvantages.

There are many tools out there that can be used in order to optimize png-files and even if people might not use the 2 you mentioned (myself included) there are other tools like them that most certainly are being used by GS devs. Here are e.g. a list of 13 free ones:
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/4-free-tools-to-optimize-and-compress-png-images-without-loosing-quality/

We are often talking much much larger project sizes without compressing the png-files...

Limiting GS developers free choice is the worst thing you can do and you are definitely smart enough to know so already. This combined with that you must be very much aware of the advantages gained with png-compression makes me a bit amazed in regards to the very existence of this poll (and the lack of support in the RC/nightly).

@uptimistik, it's not really my intent to attack you here but I have a hard time believing that you have been around this long and do not know of or use png-optimization, really? (or have you just been mislead by the 2 applications mentioned in the poll?).

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

Yes and it's definitely worth it. I use it at work as a graphic designer for web. Some of our designs are fairly heavy, and even after using the Save for Web option in Photoshop with a Quality setting of ~60 I'll drop the same png into tinypng and see a 90% file reduction.

WORTH IT!

@JSproject no what we are saying going forward 0.11.0 and after that we are not supporting any other kind of png optimized compression format. We only support the standard png RGB or RGBA (which does use a lossless zip compression)

The main reason for this is to use a image loader (FreeImage) that work on all platforms and optimize for you at publish time the standard png into a propriety format that is better (small and loads faster) for our engine. Which we will be move towards after 11

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339

@BlackCloakGS said:
    JSproject no what we are saying going forward 0.11.0 and after that we are not supporting any other kind of png optimized compression format. We only support the standard png RGB or RGBA (which does use a lossless zip compression)

The main reason for this is to use a image loader (FreeImage) that work on all platforms and optimize for you at publish time the standard png into a propriety format that is better (small and loads faster) for our engine. Which we will be move towards after 11

How would this affect games already done that we did this to if we open them up and publish in the new versions?

edited March 2014

@SingleSparq you would need to publish with "unoptimized" PNGs or normal PNGs.
    The best way to test if you change would effect our images is try publishing or preview in creator with the 0.11.0 Release Candidate. If the images load correctly with that version they well work going forward.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

I have used imageoptim before. I thought we were told a long while back not to bother with any if these because GameSalad runs its own thing?

edited March 2014

@tenrdrmer we uses to run PNGCrush on the images however with the new image loading code we no longer do that.

We never official supported anything but standard PNG and TGA. The other formats only worked because we were using Apple's and Android's image loading code which happens to support other formats. With 11 the GameSalad Engine will only official support standard PNG and TGA image formats.

• darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243

@BlackCloakGS Does that mean my game with 220 scenes where I've had to use jpegs (otherwise the binary size would be huge) will no longer work in 0.11?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@BlackCloakGS, is this already in? Is this related to the faded or darkend pngs in the new build? Even on normal PNGs straight out of Photoshop?

When we release the next RC I will post I long thread about image formats.
    If you image work in the current RC the you should be fine

• ChimoruChimoru Member, PRO Posts: 137

@BlackCloakGS does this include the PNG-24 compression you can use in Photoshop's 'Save for Web' feature? is this compression supported?

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

I use tinypng for every app. I think it is essential.

@Chimoru If you image work in the current RC the you should be fine

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989

I've used tinypng on various bits in the past.

I have the information from this poll that I need.
    Thanks for responding

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870

I don't use any of them, and I also never hear of pngquant. Heard of tinypng, but I don't like it. I do just fine with Photoshop, but that's just me.

This discussion has been closed.