What kind of MAC is good to create games on?

Thinking of buying a used 13-inch, 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM macbook. Why? Cuz I'm on a tight budget and wanting to save money. Is a Core 2 Duo processor good enough to create games on?

Comments

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited December 2013
    The cpu is far from what's limiting you on that one (the cpu is just fine)...

Anything less than 4GB of RAM though will get you in big trouble (and personally I would never recommend anything less than 8GB). You won't be able to upgrade to newer MAC OS X (like the previous Mountain Lion or the new Mavericks), you probably will not be able to run newer GameSalad versions and even if you could you would soon realize that GS is very memory hungry when it comes to development. I've had a project reach 6GB of RAM usage easy during development of a bigger project.

Also, be warned that using a 13-inch screen for development is likely to give you the (maybe less than exciting) feeling of wanting to rip your eyeballs out of your skull (sooner rather than later).

= If you consider that mac still then make sure you can at least upgrade the RAM in it.
  • JordeyyJordeyy Member Posts: 409
    why not get a mac mini ?

ive got one and they are easily powerful enough

just make sure you get a late 2009 + model
  • JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited December 2013
    I've got a mac mini myself also - upgraded it to 8GB RAM and replaced the sucky SATA2 hdd with a nice Intel SSD and it was well worth doing it! (was interesting taking that aluminium mac mini apart too :).
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    you want a mac that can run mavericks to future proof yourself:

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
    MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
    MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

Get as much RAM as you can as well.
  • airgamerairgamer Member Posts: 10
    What are the minimum requirements to run GameSalad and make simple, easy games?

When it comes to play MMO games, a lot of people suggest 4 GB Ram, with a high graphics driver, etc etc. but I can easily play an MMO game on a Netbook with integrated intel graphics and not complain. I'm not really that picky....I don't want to do anything big. If I can make a simple game on a dual 2 core, 2GB ram, then great.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    I think 2gb ram is VERY low. If its only a dual core 2.0 ghz processor it might have some problems. I would definitely look at a Mac mini or a MacBook with better specs.
  • troynalltroynall Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    if you have a late 2006 mac mini or 2006 13" mac laptop, you will not be able to reach GAMESALAD'S minimum requirements(OSX v10.7 "LION" & Xcode 4.6 with Command Line Tools). The above mentioned units can only have their OS update to 10.6.8(snow leopard) which cannot run GS's min req.

However, where there is a will their is a way. I know someone who upgraded the mac mini processor and ram to fit the Lion requirements, but when he tried to download Lion the applestore would not let him. He then looked all around and found myHack 3.3.1, and a friend who had a new Macbook Pro. He purchased Lion via using his friend's macbook pro(which is totally legal). Created a bootable "VANILLA" USB with an 8GB thumb drive and installed it Then went to his outdated 2006 mac mini, booted from that thumb drive and let myHack 3.3.1 install LION on the above mentioned mac mini. He still ran into problems until he deleted the platform.plist file(which tells the LION installer that it is indeed a LAT MAC MINI) - actually since he deleted it, the LION installer could not tell what system it was installing to and VIOLA! it worked. He installed the XCODE version and can now use gamesald without fear.

HOWEVER, he cant upgrade to Mountain Lion. So if Gamesalad changes it requirements he will be left in the cold and left to his own devices.

Best bet, unless you enjoy tinkering with hackintosh stuff, your best bet is to spend the money and get a current mac mini. I saw a refurbished(2012) one for 899.00 at the apple store.

and remember, you are trying to make REAL HONEST GAMES. So use REAL HONEST software.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I'll say it again. if you're buying a mac to develop game salad, make sure it can run mavericks. you never know when they will hook into an API that only mavericks supports and drop support for old OS's, it's happened before.

to install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
    MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
    MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

Getting anything earlier is a waste of money.
  • finalcutbobfinalcutbob Member Posts: 130
    edited December 2013
    While I definitely agree with having the most powerful computer you can get for development, what @troynall said is really cool too. I mean, after all, hacking is half the fun.
  • Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    Didn't read what the others said...Scrolled straight down on this one...I am using a Macbook Air 11" and it work fantastically...the apps I am making for devices as well as unsigned apps for this very Mac I am using works great...I highly recommend a Macbook Air or higher...and love the mobileness of a Macbook to work on GS...
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    Also consider a refurbished unit of the one you're planning on getting to save a bit more -- or to get a slightly more powerful one for close to the same price as you initially planned to spend.