State of GameSalad on 11-27-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited November 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

This is a short week due to holidays but we've still got some good stuff to report! Async multiplayer support is now in dirty and will be making its way out into a coming nightly build. Speaking of "nightly" builds, we're still struggling a bit with getting nightly builds stable enough for release. Hopefully we'll have something out soon there.

We also released Tizen support! We're excited about the possibility of this platform. Read more about this here: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/62069/tizen-publishing-support

We're also making good progress on sprite sheet support. The code is in place engine-side and we're working on updating Creator to support this new feature. There are also a few rendering odds and ends to work out on this. It's getting close!

I'll update the roadmap soon. Thanks for reading and, if you celebrate it, happy Thanksgiving! :D

Comments

• natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

This is a short week due to holidays but we've still got some good stuff to report! Async multiplayer support is now in dirty and will be making its way out into a coming nightly build. Speaking of "nightly" builds, we're still struggling a bit with getting nightly builds stable enough for release. Hopefully we'll have something out soon there.

We also released Tizen support! We're excited about the possibility of this platform. Read more about this here: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/62069/tizen-publishing-support

We're also making good progress on sprite sheet support. The code is in place engine-side and we're working on updating Creator to support this new feature. There are also a few rendering odds and ends to work out on this. It's getting close!

I'll update the roadmap in a few hours. Thanks for reading and, if you celebrate it, happy Thanksgiving! :D
    Cool, good news all around. Enjoy your turkey day!
  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
    edited November 2013
    We should also mention that we have not forgotten about public-facing defect tracker nor the investigation into false virus warnings. We hope to have an update out soon that seems to address the virus alerts.

The defect database slipped down the priority queue a bit as we triaged other more pressing issues for users but will be worked on further next week.

Finally, we learned last week that the CS ticket system has been unreliable for quite some time. This was obviously unacceptable and something we apologize profusely for.

Resolving that issue was a primary focus this week and we're in the final stages of redeploying the support page to remove additional moving parts from the customer service workflow and ensure that all CS issues are properly logged and catalogued for appropriate follow-up.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738
    This is great, I am so excited!! Any news on how the async multiplayer behaviors will work?
    Thanks
    Keep up the great work!!

zweg25
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    We're also making good progress on sprite sheet support. The code is in place engine-side and we're working on updating Creator to support this new feature. There are also a few rendering odds and ends to work out on this.
    Does this mean custom fonts are getting close?
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    @CodeWizard Anything on when you will be finishing the stretch feature on publishing? You never answered the multiple times asked in last weeks thread. Cheers
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    I see, been asking the wrong guy! He's going to make you pay for spilling the beans ;)
  • AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69
    Is it the nightly build include the Remob & Chartboost ? If yes, when the nightly available ? Cause the roadmap said "This is becoming a more pressing matter because of Mobclix's recent filing for bankruptcy". It's very important for me and many gs member,thanks !
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    Order of priority for me is the following:
    First order of business is to get the nightly build back in your hands. We have switched over to our main code line for the nightly builds and I have been trying for a week or more with another engineer to get that out the door (I want to make sure the next nightly build does not have critical bugs in it (for example creator can not open projects) ). Next is to address the android anti-virus issue. Third is give you access to the stretch feature from web publishing and for me to finish support for the viewers (know you really really want this feature). Forth COPPA compliance build for education market. Then back to bug fixing for now.

I am going to stop giving any time estimate since they never pan out so the best you will get from me is soon or no ETA.

and as for Remob and Chartboost the code is in and we will get it to you soon no ETA.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving
  • fiorentinfiorentin Member Posts: 58
    Sprite sheet! Joy!
  • DeepBayGamesDeepBayGames Member Posts: 93
    I'm glad to see that the antivirus issue is receiving high priority. Hopefully that the Amazon market will prove to be fruitful for GS developers. It would be a shame to see a missed opportunity there, due to a negative experiences for users and bad reviews.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Great work guys. Seems like the new office has surely brought back the juice in gamesalad ;)

Ok but seriously. Since we are 'dirty' with async, can we have a sneak peek into what it'll be like. Like how it'll work?! Its been months waiting to get such a thing in our arsenal of tools. It'll be useful to know a bit about how it'll be functioning.

I don't much about it, but Happy Thanksgiving anyway. Sounds like a cool thing to celebrate . :D
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited November 2013
  • RubiWorksRubiWorks Member Posts: 130
    Why Tizen and not Ouya? This is the first time that i hear about Tizen!! O.o
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Tizen probably paid GS to implement support. Ouya didn't :)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Thanks @blackcloakgs I know I'm kinda hatful at times about stretch. I'm glad to know its a priority at least. Let's hope nothing bumps it down the list :)
  • EOSEOS Member Posts: 74

I am going to stop giving any time estimate since they never pan out so the best you will get from me is soon or no ETA.

and as for Remob and Chartboost the code is in and we will get it to you soon no ETA.

You are confusing me @BlackCloakGS ! Is it soon or no ETA? :))
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    You obviously missed the many posts and explanations on this. Commitments were made months ago. It's done now and we can move forward with other things.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    edited November 2013
    See that is what I find frustrating. You say right there that you have the code in. You guys admit to us needing a new ad networks since the GS higher ups fu**ed up with putting in Mobclix when it was already standing on a thin wire.

So instead you guys let it sit there collecting dust while many of us want to integrate these ads in time for the holidays. When you say no ETA I hear sometime months from now. Atleast that is what GS has meant when they say that in the past.

I get that you guys can't always stick to your ETA. That is fine. !@#$% happens, but us sitting in the dark waiting with no idea when something is coming is far more annoying in my opinion. If you guys have to go over a given ETA fine. Just be outright with it and give us notice before your assumed ETA. Usually you get the uproar when you give an ETA, pass the ETA, and make no mention of it or where it is. Just be forthcoming.

(Perfect example of above is Stretch. You have given ETAs before. You pass the ETAs then make no mention of it. People bring it up... you just skip over their posts and ignore it as long as possible.... THAT is what pisses people off. Not the missing your ETA. And yes you were a bit more forward with the stretch finally in the above post.)

Get the ad networks in our hands please. The holidays are fast approaching and we have little more than a week to get these games submitted with them.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited November 2013
    you just skip over their posts and ignore it as long as possible.... THAT is what pisses people off.

Agree 100%

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    Good work like always, week in week out and I am still waiting for a stable release. Was hoping we would have more than 2 solid releases this year. Keep up the great work :)
  • TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74
    you just skip over their posts and ignore it as long as possible.... THAT is what pisses people off.

Agree 100%

Agree.

Promises, promises, promises, delays, delays, delays.
    My opinion on GS was post in
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/432955#Comment_432955

Then... No ETA for stretch, no ETA for new ADV provider... But GS released Tizen support (who can use Tizen today? Who can ask to have Tizen support today?) The GS comunity ask for stretch, new ADV provider, best IDE, ... This is the priority... Not tizen.

• brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    Ouya!!!!

Please?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

Agree 100%

Agree.

Promises, promises, promises, delays, delays, delays.
    My opinion on GS was post in
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/432955#Comment_432955

Then... No ETA for stretch, no ETA for new ADV provider... But GS released Tizen support (who can use Tizen today? Who can ask to have Tizen support today?) The GS comunity ask for stretch, new ADV provider, best IDE, ... This is the priority... Not tizen.

Not when contracts are involved. They always take priority.

• TinpotTinpot Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2013
    Sure, the extra ways to monetize will be great, and all the extra features will be useful, but it certainly doesnt stop anyone from making and releasing games now, and possibly introducing these extra monetization methods some people are banging on about, when they are introduced.

Some of these points about "ETA's" , and demands, are silly and selfish. They've got a schedule to follow as shown, and it looks like they are (slowly) bowing a little to public pressure for some of the more useful features to be implemented a little sooner. But an ETA is just that. Scream and cry as much as you want, but if your on an airplane, it aint going to land any sooner if the ETA blows out for unforseen (or even unplanned) reasons.

I'm personally thankful GS are listening and trying to get things moving along. Unfortunately a product cant please everyone, all the time. Except maybe a winning lotto ticket.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    While the delays for features drive me nuts you cannot blame @codewizard @dgackey or @blackcloakGS for tizen getting prioritized. the heads of state at GS HQ made agreements to support Tizen before codewizard or dgackey where even here and blackcloakgs is an engineer who gets paid to prioritize what the top guys say is the priority.

If you want to grip about Tizen send @sf a message as i think he's one of the only gs guys left who was probably involved in that decision, Besides that lets hope @codewizard is pushing our wants and needs a bit harder now that tizen is ready to go.

Hell for all we know Tizen could be a future gold mine and the first time GameSalad actually had support for something prior to its official public launch.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    edited November 2013
    Im all for the tinted windows and seat covers with the vibrating back massager. But can we at least get the roll up window handle to work. I know there is a window in the door. And I know i could use duct tape to let it down and up. I know that work around will work. But having a turn handle would be great. Im not asking for an electric window switch. Just a turn knob. If you want to tint the window we got to get the duct tape off and the window back in the track. WTB improved functionality.
  • jdgouldjdgould Member, PRO Posts: 114
    See that is what I find frustrating. You say right there that you have the code in. You guys admit to us needing a new ad networks since the GS higher ups fu**ed up with putting in Mobclix when it was already standing on a thin wire.

So instead you guys let it sit there collecting dust while many of us want to integrate these ads in time for the holidays. When you say no ETA I hear sometime months from now. Atleast that is what GS has meant when they say that in the past.

I get that you guys can't always stick to your ETA. That is fine. !@#$% happens, but us sitting in the dark waiting with no idea when something is coming is far more annoying in my opinion. If you guys have to go over a given ETA fine. Just be outright with it and give us notice before your assumed ETA. Usually you get the uproar when you give an ETA, pass the ETA, and make no mention of it or where it is. Just be forthcoming.

(Perfect example of above is Stretch. You have given ETAs before. You pass the ETAs then make no mention of it. People bring it up... you just skip over their posts and ignore it as long as possible.... THAT is what pisses people off. Not the missing your ETA. And yes you were a bit more forward with the stretch finally in the above post.)

Get the ad networks in our hands please. The holidays are fast approaching and we have little more than a week to get these games submitted with them.

There is no need to wait for RevMob and Chartboost, you can easily create your own revenue stream similar to RevMob and Chartboost using URL hyperlinks. Check out the videos at http://www.apprushacademy.com. A bunch of us are making some serious money right now using our own affiliate links and it keeps growing as the Holidays are approaching...

Don't get frustrated... you need to use other ways to monetize your apps while you wait :)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    As I've stressed GS has to have a revenue stream. They signed a contract and got money, yes I said it actual money, to support Tinzen. If you were half paying attention for like 5 months now you'd know about this as it was always talked about. GS can't survive when the vast majority of it's users are free. If GS doesn't make money they will not exist. Heck the announce multiplayer and that if you're game gets some success you'll have to pay for data pushes and people bitched. Are you F-ing kidding me?! Do you expect G to pay for all you're stuff? Or is it time you accept the fact game developing cost money to do. And how many damn times do we need to say that the majority of the work done in codewizards tenure here was fixing the backend disaster left to him. I have complete confidence that with this work nearly sorted that next year will be very exciting for GS. I read a lot of "I want" well we all want stuff and each of our priorities are different. I could care less right now about android ads. So does my opinion out way those who scream for it? No! So suck it up and figure out what you need to do. Sell your game outright. Unless you're doing a seasonal specific game most aren't like milk with a shel life. The sky is always falling around here for some people. Well my sky's are sunny and blue. GS has to do what's best for GS first to survive period. If you can't understand that then start your own company and see how it really is.