State of GameSalad 11-20-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

Some interesting developments this week. We've committed to releasing async multiplayer without an agreement with the third party provider. Expect that to show up in the nightly builds very soon. We've also fixed several bugs in the upcoming nightly builds are the new refactored codebase is literally days from release. Tizen support is slightly delayed but not by much. We've released a summary of our data collection activities and are nearing completion of our Marketplace rework.

We're also looking for two more engineers to help us with general maintenance and updating the Creator product. More news on that soon.

If all goes well (ha!) we'll have 0.11 ready for you in the next couple of weeks. Although holiday shenanigans may delay that a bit.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Great news - keep up the great work GS team!
  • zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738
    This seems awesome! So excited! Still a little confused what tizen is?
  • PortymanPortyman Member, PRO Posts: 409
    So, can we get more explanation on how multiplayer works???
  • AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2013
    How about RevMob and Chartboost ? is it really code complete and awaiting release in 0.11.0 for pro user ?
  • brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    So, can we get more explanation on how multiplayer works???
    Please?
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    This seems awesome! So excited! Still a little confused what tizen is?
    @zweg25 tizen is another mobile operating system like android or iOS.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited November 2013
    We've committed to releasing async multiplayer without an agreement with the third party provider.
    I'm not entirely sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm thinking this might be good news. Here's the test... If I just want to use Apple's Game Center based Asynchronous multiplayer, without the third party, is GameSalad capable of that?
  • zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738
    Thanks @mounted88!!
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    @photics I think he means the lawyer side of it, Game Center should be able to be integrated still. Just a assumption
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited November 2013
    @photics I think he means the lawyer side of it, Game Center should be able to be integrated still. Just a assumption
    I'm not sure what he means. I got confused by the wording...
    We've committed to releasing async multiplayer without an agreement with the third party provider.
    I'm not quite sure what's going on behind the scenes. After reading the quote, I'm thinking it can be one of two possibilities...

A) Forget the third party, we're doing our own thing.
    B) We're not worrying about the agreement, but still moving forward with the third party.
  • FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    Great news! :D good job GS team ;)
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    "Cross-platform Creator"

We're in the design phase of a new and improved cross-platform creator tool prototype. More news on this soon.

That sounds interesting.

• FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    Time to upgrade to Pro now when async is coming.
  • ShantreafShantreaf Member Posts: 1
    Are you looking to increase the traffic for your game once it is released?
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Good to hear you're hiring some extra hands for creator improvements/maintenance.
  • fiorentinfiorentin Member Posts: 58
    Seems like everything is moving in the right direction, I'll upgrade to Pro next week.
    No 1 on my wish list is still Sprite Sheet (and a new loading wheel). I'll just hope this will be implemented.
  • TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74

We're also looking for two more engineers to help us with general maintenance and updating the Creator product. More news on that soon.
    this is good news ... so, perhaps, the promises will become facts.

If all goes well (ha!) we'll have 0.11 ready for you in the next couple of weeks. Although holiday shenanigans may delay that a bit.
    What will include the 11.0? stretch? new advertising provider? for obvious reasons it would be nice to have the new provider before Christmas.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @TheSkin

Yea we would need it by about the beginning of Dec in order to utilize it for Christmas. With Apple going on break the 21st we would need to submit the updates with the new ads about 7-10 days prior in order to get them in in time.

I've been trying to do what I can to convince them to release it early if 11.0 won't be released until after the 10th.
  • DaGreatnessDaGreatness Member Posts: 82
    That is some great news!!! I will be going to PRO soon, i just want to know how the async multiplayer works and if the advertising platforms will be ready with the release
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @codewizard im trying to see the positives here but it's really irritating that "Finishing Universal Binaries with an awesome stretch to fit option" is not even on the roadmap it keeps getting promised as a side project when @blackcloakgs gets time, but seriously this is a major feature that should be a top priority. I know I'm not the only one thinks this. So why is it not officially being worked on?

Yes I know it can be done without a special option to select but let me remind you that workaround exposes bugs In the pause behavior regarding camera origins being reset to 0 which causes more workaround a to be done. Not to mention the workaround a don't even work on android because the apks don't detect the screen size of the device being used.

Can we please for the love of god make this a priority to finish?
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited November 2013

=)) Now that's a good one!

In all seriousness, I'm quite pleased with GS right now :). Glad to see they're following through with async multiplayer without that obnoxious contract.

@CodeWizard
    Will Async multiplayer basically be like an attribute that is stored in the cloud? Something like that would be awesome.

Chakku
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    @codewizard im trying to see the positives here but it's really irritating that "Finishing Universal Binaries with an awesome stretch to fit option" is not even on the roadmap it keeps getting promised as a side project when @blackcloakgs gets time, but seriously this is a major feature that should be a top priority. I know I'm not the only one thinks this. So why is it not officially being worked on?

Yes I know it can be done without a special option to select but let me remind you that workaround exposes bugs In the pause behavior regarding camera origins being reset to 0 which causes more workaround a to be done. Not to mention the workaround a don't even work on android because the apks don't detect the screen size of the device being used.

Can we please for the love of god make this a priority to finish?
    One more for stretch please ... And thank you for the update and the hard work as always ... ;-)

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    I dont care what the upcoming features are as long as they replace " WORK AROUNDS"

Ad Services dont do this. And again...... stop pulling into auto zone and looking at the fuzzy dice and the zebra skinned steering wheel cover and the sub woofer for the trunk... Instead. replace the busted windshield, swap out the bald tires for new ones, replace the fuel and oil filters, and replace that busted windshield wiper thats will just scratch up your new windshield. And "no" no lift kit till you have at least fixed the turn signal lights.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    So what are you gonna do with that 2 Grand you won at the poker table last night.

" I dont know.. I really need to put some money into my car"

Really what are you thinking you need to do?

" I'm thinking about finally tinting my windows and getting that new stereo with the pop out 10 inch dvd player screen."
    @FINNBOGG

That is where you are wrong. Ad services are the gas for your car. You can invest all you want into repairing windshields and swapping out bald tires on a FUNCTIONING car, but without gas it isn't going anywhere.

I'm not saying those other improvements aren't important, but you need gas to get your car to the repair shop.
  • darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243
    @FINNBOGG

That is where you are wrong. Ad services are the gas for your car. You can invest all you want into repairing windshields and swapping out bald tires on a FUNCTIONING car, but without gas it isn't going anywhere.

I'm not saying those other improvements aren't important, but you need gas to get your car to the repair shop.
    @FallacyStudios I find your post interesting - sincerely. In your experience, are ads a good source of income? I've read countless posts (outside of GS forums) that ad revenue is tiny - a couple of bucks a day at best. I obviously understand there will be important dynamics including # downloads, quality etc. that dictate the potential from ads.

Perhaps it's a good source of income as you offer an in app option to turn ads off?

Up until now, I've wanted to steer clear of ads and focus on game quality and let downloads / additional content in app purchases take care of the income but maybe I'm missing a trick?
    @darrelf

I see a LOT more than a dollar a day. Ads are about a 1/3 of my revenue. Currently I'm missing out on lots with one of my apps when I have 200k+ impressions over the last month or so and iAds refuses to serve ads to the app. Plus I would have generated a lot from Mobclix had they not gone bankrupt. (And did make alot through Mobclix, but I won't get paid).

I personally see no issue with adding ads to something you produce. You spent time and effort building something and if you are going to release it for Free you should be generating revenue off of it. It should be worth your time to even bother with a free version. In my opinion the customers have no right to complain (as long as you aren't overzealous with ads) since they get to play something you built for free. I find it actually gets people to want to buy the pro version when they can get rid of them.

Either way it is your choice if you want to add them, but I find them very beneficial personally.

Not sure how accurate it was, but I had read an article that Rovio makes more money off their free ad versions of Angry Birds than they do from purchased versions. (Maybe that has changed with in-app purchases). I don't know how accurate it was, but many developers only develop free versions with ads. Must be some method to their madness.
  • darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243
    Thanks @FallacyStudios - it's great to learn from you guys. I'm definitely going to consider a release with ads - if nothing else, I'll learn more from it. Cheers
    @darrelf

If you ever want help with them feel free to PM me. I sometimes try to get a little creative with placement.