Play Sound stops working...

DaneC020DaneC020 Member Posts: 90
I have been posting and looking for about 2 months now and I am at my limit. God bless some of you for making games with this engine but it just seems impossible to debug properly. I have tried putting statements everywhere to make sure code reaches sections, I have all my global variables being sent to the debugger as well. Everything looks 100% ok but for some reason after awhile my sounds stop working. EVERYTHING stops except for the music.

I can even make a button on the side that has one rule for touch and a play sound. Even that will no longer work after I replay the game 3 times... It is a simple match game and I had published it several years ago using this engine and it worked fine then but now has this stupid audio issue... Is there any way to get exceptions that the engine may be having? All I can guess is there is a memory leak which causes it to stop working or there is an error that is happening under the hood that is causing audio to stop.

PS: Programming from scratch is easier than this lol.
-Dane

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    Which version of GameSalad are you currently running/testing on?
  • DaneC020DaneC020 Member Posts: 90
    I am running the latest version on Mac. 0.10.4.1 Beta
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited November 2013
    @DaneC020

Hello Dane, as far as I'm aware, there have been a few sound issues with the Windows version of GSC, but not, in the main, with the Mac version for a long time… so your prob. is perhaps a little bit surprising…

A couple of questions: what is the file type of the sound file you imported into GSC? And are you absolutely certain you've not changed scene and "left that rule behind" or turned the sound volume off with another rule somewhere?

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

I am 100% certain the rule isn't left behind or the volume has been turned off. I have debugged all the device volume, sound volume, ect. and everything checks out.

As or leaving scenes, this all happens in one scene and the object is never being destroyed. As I said it is a memory style match game, and oddly enough it happens after I match 16 cards. That makes me think it is a code issue but I have went back to the main menu and used the Reset Game and Reset Scene Attributes, as well as manually reset all the variables. Nothing plays sounds even if I do that and go back to the game, but the music continues fine....

As for the sound files, I am using OGG format.

-Dane
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited November 2013

… so if I understand you correctly, you're importing ogg files? As far as I've learned over the years, some types of ogg conversion differ from what's expected in GSC, so I'd steer clear of importing in that format… safer to import in aiff or wav(e) or mp3 and let GSC convert it to .ogg for sounds for you…

Although even if the ogg file wasn't right, whys should it work for 16 matches and the stop working only after that? I have to agree with you, it's got to be a programming issue, surely…

But what in the programming is causing it, that's the question…

Is it easy for you to post all the Rules associated with triggering that particular sound?

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Unfortunately there is a lot of rules going on that trigger different sounds. That is what is making it hard to determine what is the real issue. Since ALL sound effects stop and I can reproduce it even by leaving the scene, resetting the data, then going back in... It leaves me boggled.

EI) I can go into the level, play 4 matches, back out and reset all data. Then repeat this 4 times and sound effects stop working. :( So in theory, if it doesn't error out on the first 4 and then everything resets... It has no reasons to fail on another arbitrary match if no major logic is changing....

I will try to swap out the sounds and see if I get any different results. I will also start stripping out all the fluff and see if I can pin point what is breaking it. I really wish there was a way to catch exceptions from the engine. :( That would let me know if it is a wonked rule or something else...

-Dane
  • SlowboySlowboy Member, PRO Posts: 329
    Hi @DaneC020 have you had any luck yet? I have a similar problem, game sound cuts out even when the code in the actors is working completely and repetitively beforehand. I thing that you will find that it doesn't happen after a certain number of matches, but after a certain amount of TIME!? If I play my game 'quicker', the sounds appears to cut out 'later', If I play my game slowly, it cuts out 'earlier' in the game, which makes me think that the sound is just bombing out at a similar time each play through - how are we supposed to debug that?!
    Also, same as you, very simple scene, all happening in one scene, no actors being destroyed.
    Anyone else getting the silent treatment?
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • SlowboySlowboy Member, PRO Posts: 329
    Ah, sounds promising! Can't wait for the next build then!

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/57827/possible-bug-sound-effects-cutting-out
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited January 2014
    If either of you could send me a link to download your file, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what might be causing it.

Edit: @Slowboy's link explains it so nevermind.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• MayhemmmartyMayhemmmarty Member, PRO Posts: 39
    I had a similar issue when one of my play sound rules was checked as "positional sound". I could play my game through 7 to 9 levels and then it would crash. Once I unchecked it, everything worked fine.
  • bboyledesignbboyledesign Member Posts: 1

I am having this issue. I have tried making a sound manager so all my sounds are played from one actor. Didnt work. Tried re importing the specific sound didnt work.

Here is my specific problem, A correct answer sound plays when you answer a sound correctly. However never fails the 3rd time the sound is played it will simply not play anymore. There are more questions that happen during the boss, And if you skip ahead for testing purposes the correct sound will play. But never if you play all the way through it will play twice then stop. I have another game with tons of sounds and it's not an issue in there. Maybe I need to take all of the timers out of this one.

• bluetractorjtbluetractorjt Member Posts: 14

I was also having this same issue in 10.4.1. I tried everything as well. I want to give an update on my issue. I posted this in the other sound thread as well.

I tried out the nightly build for the first time tonight and got some VERY positive results.

"I went and tried out the latest nightly build and I can confirm that my sound issues seemed to be fixed in preview mode and the game played just fine. Therefore I assume that the sound issues I was having will be fixed in the next stable release since it is fixed in the latest nightly build."

They already have a 11.0.1 release candidate build that is there to try out so I guess the new version is gonna be released pretty soon. Hang in there. Good things are on the way.