*** A Special Announcement For Our Community ***

Comments

• CiggurhCiggurh Member Posts: 4
    maniraptor: Let's compare and do the math here over the course of 3 years with your own figures. I'll even say that a single game only makes $200 total.

GameSalad
    36 games (12 a yr) X 200 = $7200
    3 yrs subscription = $1500
    Total Revenue = $5700

Unity
    9 games (3 a year) X 200 = $1800
    3 yr dev engine cots = $998
    Total revenue = $802

Of course this is assuming you can make 3 games with Unity a year - something a person on his own is very UNLIKELY to do. This also assumes you don't have to pay or share profits with a programmer.

I think the results speak for themselves. $5,700 vs $802. There are just minimum numbers. Which sounds better?

Edit: What's more is that with GameSalad, you'll see profits within your first year. With Unity you'll not see profits until after the second or third year.
  • FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    I think the pricing is perfect. The only hesitation I have is in not knowing what the performance of my project will be like on the iphone itself. I may wait for some posts from others before committing to GS.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    At first, I didn't agree with the pricing, but that is a risk I have to take in order to make a game and have fun with it. I tried unity and iTgb, and i didn't like any of them, but I like gamesalad, and it is worth paying for.
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    Wow. Ok, I guess I am the jerk. Everyone is cool with it.. OK, good luck and lets see what happens.
    nah, you're not a jerk, its your own opinions.to the matter.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Eboy,

You're way ahead of a lot of us in that you actually have a game on the app store - nice one!

I didn't buy it as I don't have kids! (as I understand it it's an interactive storybook, right?).

The art work certainly looks great.

Now, you made $100 on that. If you made another five of those (easily and quickly do-able using GS) and they all made $100, you've made back your money!

If you made 10 of them, then you'd be making a profit.

I honestly wish you the best, and hope that other pricing plans might encourage you to use the software.

Cheers,

QS :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• gpoppigpoppi Member, PRO Posts: 47
    Sorry people , but how much can u gain by making a non popular utility??
    I guess the same amount, no matter how much you spent to make it?

Good point, but my only problems are making up new concepts, and sociial gaming-type stuff.

Oh yeah, anyone notice there Are 2 more gamesalad made games in the app store?
  • TDGamesTDGames Member Posts: 13
    I cant be leave this 500$ for the beta and every year! come on gamesalad 50 - 200 is ok but 500 i cant pay that kinda money... please reconsider the pricing iv been waiting so long for this and 500 ===== so sad :(
    Good spot KT - I bought Rock Paper Scissor as I really enjoyed it when it was up on the site.

Simple simple simple idea, but done with some class! :)

• CobraCobra Member Posts: 160
    @Eboy,
    As community manager I have to ask you to turn the aggression down a notch. But nobody is calling you a jerk. People are in different situations, and everyone is welcome to share their own opinion.

One great feature of GameSalad's pricing structure is that you don't have to purchase a subscription in order to begin development -- you can wait until you have a product ready to publish.

If you only make two games a year and are worried about recouping your investment, consider the possibility of finishing those two games first, and purchasing your subscription when they're ready to go. You'll have both games on the app store right out of the gate, and a full year to develop more and figure out if Gamesalad's pay-to-publish model is right for you over the long term.
    Sorry about the aggresive emails. It won't happen again.
    To get back on topic, 500 is alot, even for me(college student/rapper) but honestly, what other choice would I rather have? Unity is great, but to me it's as hard as regular coding, and coding is even worse. I'm too familiar with GS to quit just because it's $500/year. Also the devs made a great program to make it easier for everyone to make games. So let the devs get some money for making an awesome program. Buying images and music is no problem for me, so I spend virtually nothing when making a game.
  • zigzagoonzigzagoon Member Posts: 3
    well, i'm going to wait a bit (few years at min)
    if this gets better, with more stuff,(and i get money - seriously, its still in beta. most people would give beta testers free stuff, they don't charge them $500.) then i might get it. right now, its not worth it.
  • ipwnuipwnu Member Posts: 19
    maybe that's why they call it an Early Access Program or it would be not in beta and just be Access Program. if it was not still in beta in the state it was right now THEN I would feel jipped.
    I am just glad they finally made publishing available so I can start getting my games on the store. then I can make my money back. this is AWESOME so far btw. cant wait to see more.
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    Does everybody know that you by using the Early Access Program give GendaiGames the rights to distribute your games, sell your characters and gamecontent seperatly etc etc without paying you anything??

We have had this discussion 2 month ago ... and beside a note from adent42 who gave us his interpretation of the terms of service there is still no official statement nor a revision of this rules.

So if your game is getting a big hit... please remember that GendaiGames has all the rights to distribute and sublicense your games and characters and music for free...

Btw this right that you all donate here is far more expensive than 2000$... for decent games ;)

Point 6, Terms of Service, GendaiGames:

http://gamesalad.com/terms

I can understand that everybody is very exited that its now possible to publish to the appstore ... but for me it looks like you all are paying a very high price at the moment...

And like 2 month before noone at GendaiGames wants to answer here officially??

...i am repeating this here because i think it goes with the discussion if GS is expensive or not...

All the best and please clarify this point!
    I completely understand your concerns, and without clarification it *will* worry a lot of people.

I'm sure it just means that they can use stuff for marketing purposes. Also, they talk about submissions, but specifically to the SITE.

I think this means that if someone wants to see how you've done something, then they will be able to, at some point, download your example.

You've helped me a couple of times with code by emailing me your project. What this clause does is let you upload it to the site, and then lets us take that and put it into our own games.

I imagine you would be given the choice of whether you let someone download one of your full games - given the amount of people (and yes, I said this 2 months ago) just making template games, and with the ability now to publish to iphone, I certainly wouldn't upload a game here if I thought someone might take it, change the graphics and put it up on the app store.

Anyway, we need less lawyer speak and more Engrish! ;)

Cheers,

QS

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    "... if someone wants to see how you've done something, then they will be able to, at some point, download your example."

When you upload your project to the site (not for iPhone projects), you can change the "Share your project source with:" option. If you set it to 'Everyone' you will see a "Download Project" button at the bottom right of the game area. See example below.

http://gamesalad.com/game/play/7942

To save the project, Right Click+ Save As, or Option Click the button and you can download the .game file which is a .zip file in disguise. Rename it to .zip and then you have your .gameproj all nice and accessable.
    Hey Quantum ;)

why is noone answering or better revising this point in the terms of service... ?
    ... and the early access program is a service isn't it???

I can't imagine that this point is in their terms by accident.

To grant someone the right to sublicense my game means not that they are allowed to take it for their advertising... no it means they have the right to sublicense my game ;)

Very simple, you don't have to be lawyer to understand this and there is no other meaning ...

So if GG thinks that because we use their software all created content is their own...

What would they say if Apple tells them hey you have used xcode on computers we have produced... so YES Apple is allowed to sublicense and distribute GameSalad...

?

What a BS... noone would program anything anymore...

But obviously GG thinks that there is a difference between their creative work that have to be protected and the creative work of their customers... that isn't worth it !!!

Very bad style... ;(

@ CodeMonkey

Thank you ;) but this doesn't answer the question why we have no choice to not give you the right to distribute and sublicense our games? ... Your Terms of Service are valid when i share my games and (!) when i don't want to share them !!!

That's the point i don't understand !

CodeMonkey i have a bunch of great games here and i don't care about paying 500$ or 2000$ but its not OK to take the rights of use from your customer if they don't want it.

So what is the official answer from GG to this issue?
    @SDMG,
    I can not officially respond on the terms as I am CodeMonkey, not legalMonkey. We will answer you as soon as possible on this with wording that is more clear and in a way that does not have misinterpretation that could cause loopholes in the system. Please stand by a little longer. It IS Monday morning here. :)
    Ooops Monday morning ...sorry !! ;))

its 6pm here ;))

CodeMonkey i simply want to publish my games ... and don't want to wake up another Monday morning realising that my games are no longer my games...

I like you all and GS is really great ... but lets say some bad day you will sell GG to a guy that is not that nice ... then he owns all the rights of my games ;(

So at the moment you are taking all the rights from your customers if you use them or not!
    Please tell us i f you want to change this as promised or if you think that its your right because we use your software!

Please don't tell me how your terms of service are meant. if they are meant in another way than you have written them then please change(!) them.

Hey i simply want to make games here... ;)
    The question about Terms of Service has been answered here: http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=270&page=2#post-3496

But you may have seen that already.
    Thank You CodeMonkey ;) )

I am not a native english speaker as you may have easily noticed... ;)
    So my apologies if i was a little paranoid and haven't seen these new additions!

The added parts in the terms of service sounds like a fair deal and everyone has a real choice.

Thank You! Thank You!
  • AndreagamesAndreagames Member Posts: 18
    i Like Gamesalad but i totally disagree with price choices.
    i would be interesed in Gamesalad Pro license and 1999 $ for every year is simply too much. ( for me )
    The point is that Gamesald for now is only for 2d simple projects.
    i will continue to pay coders for my projects. ( i have already a game on the App Store).

I hope Gamesalad team will reconsider prices for licenses.

Good luck for all.
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    Could you tell us where you're hiring your coders? For under 2k, we could put them to good use over here!
    =D
  • AndreagamesAndreagames Member Posts: 18
    For under 2k i can pay a coder for a quite complex 3d game. (developed in Unity)
    My point of view is that 2000 $ for a year ( the point is every year ) is simply too much to develop Gamesald 2d Projects.

In any case i like Gamesalad but for now ( for its capabilities and price ) it's simply out of my business projects.

Maybe in the future i will revaluate it.

Bye

Andrea

Ps sorry for english mistakes
    There is always the $500 subscription for the indie license. You have to deal with the GameSalad logo on startup(and no pro features), but you get the satisfaction that you made the game yourself. :)

And you can upgrade to the pro license later.

But I wish you well and hope you keep following us.
    I hope GG reconsiders the price point. I would think $250/$1000 per year would be a more reasonable price, in my opinion.
  • avemonavemon Member Posts: 16
    i fully agree with eboy.... the fact that its a YEARLY subscription is just......too much.... BTW what are the PRO features? i dun see em specified anyware :S
This discussion has been closed.