State of GameSalad on 10-9-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited October 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

This is a slow week for news, folks. We're still focused on bug fixes for 0.10.4b, nightly builds and whatnot. We're also putting the finishing touches on 0.10.4 Creator for Windows. Chartboost and Revmob integration are moving along swimmingly.

We did announce an exciting promotion with Amazon this week. Check out the details!

Keep an eye out for a new bugfix release soon!

Comments

• GS_MasterGS_Master Member Posts: 159
    :(
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Keep the good stuffs coming :)
    - Thomas
  • darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243
    @CodeWizard Is there any chance of rough timescales on 0.11.0? Weeks? Likely December?
    It would really help with planning a staged release of a new game before Xmas.
    Thanks!
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Keep it up.

It really is no slow week for updates. Its understandable for the reason that GS has just shifted base. Its but natural.

Will stay glued for next weeks post.
  • bigbenolibigbenoli Member Posts: 12
    Thanks @CodeWizard
    Any ETA on 0.10.4 Creator for Windows? It doesn't appear on the roadmap page.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    @CodeWizard

I don't know how anyone could start building a new game in 10.4a I'm just using it to take advantage of the promo and it's ridicules amount of actor bugs.

Since you have a upcoming roadmap how about a map of known bugs that are to be addressed so we can see if something we have found is on that list might save some bug reports to you guys if we know its been reported.

• Gamelover456Gamelover456 Member Posts: 378
    @CodeWizard I hope 10.4 for Windows comes out by Friday this week because I don't want to wait forever for it, because I want to push out a Kindle Fire version of my game, Math Trivia Number Madness, to get a free month of Pro and to take advantage of the promotion.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @CodeWizard @BlackCloakGS

Would the Revmob update be an update to the Server or does the Creator need work too?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited October 2013
    Well, based on the addition of the "Metrics Gathering Opt-out" listing on the roadmap, I switched my secret project to GameSalad. It's looking pretty good.

I'm a much better developer than I was two years ago.
    Additionally, GameSalad is practically made for this project.

The results could be awesome!

GameSalad is different than most other development environments because it has a bottom-left origin... kinda like high school math. (It also has the actor origin at the center.) I had to convert a bunch of location numbers into GameSalad. But with some Microsoft Excel action, I was able to transfer the data over successfully. Getting the camera to work for universal binaries was also another trick.

Basically, I can finish the project. I haven't been this excited about a GameSalad project since BOT. Unfortunately, the problem is what it's been for years. GameSalad says a lot about exciting things in the future, but it's usually lots of waiting for nothing.

So here I am again... waiting for that one key feature.
    Did I make a mistake in choosing GameSalad... again?

I figure that I can wrap up this project in a few weeks. How long will it take for GameSalad to deliver on the removal of tracking? This is not adding code, it's removing it — so ironic!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @codewizard has delivered everything he said he would. He is a man of his word. He has been open honest and transparent. He tells it like it is and no secrets. The guy knows his stuff and is a real leader. So no I would say you made the right choice. I could see right away this guy was the real deal and stuck with GS and he hasn't let me down yet.
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    @codewizard has delivered everything he said he would. He is a man of his word. He has been open honest and transparent. He tells it like it is and no secrets. The guy knows his stuff and is a real leader. So no I would say you made the right choice. I could see right away this guy was the real deal and stuck with GS and he hasn't let me down yet.
    Wow, I am surprised you would say this. After all your off topic talks in many threads, you still think they are on track.

Remember when Codewizard first came and he said they work on lots of stuff, and the fav word was , is on the list. Well, after a few weeks of joining they released 10.3. Haven't seen anything come out in anything. What happen to 11.0 then suddenly amazon IAps get thrown in. What happen to 11.0 now suddenly its all focus on chart boost and what not.

They great at getting things started i agree but I have yet to see any of these actually follow through. Nightly builds are not stable builds. They are just features thrown in and sent out for testing.

So I don't think its a good choice just yet to change to gamesalad. Wait, maybe it was the move that thrown them off guard.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Wow, I am surprised you would say this. After all your off topic talks in many threads, you still think they are on track.

Remember when Codewizard first came and he said they work on lots of stuff, and the fav word was , is on the list. Well, after a few weeks of joining they released 10.3. Haven't seen anything come out in anything. What happen to 11.0 then suddenly amazon IAps get thrown in. What happen to 11.0 now suddenly its all focus on chart boost and what not.

They great at getting things started i agree but I have yet to see any of these actually follow through. Nightly builds are not stable builds. They are just features thrown in and sent out for testing.

So I don't think its a good choice just yet to change to gamesalad. Wait, maybe it was the move that thrown them off guard.

i know it's frustrating, but you should read code wizard's post on tech debt. game salad as a ton of that and with the limited manpower they have it was going to take awhile to fix everything. you can't add new features on top of a crumbling foundation.
    Exactly, I am aware of that, which is why I am not understanding there business moves, all this tech debt but yet can still work on multiplayer, more ad networks ect. You guys have a fantastic build in nightly, push through and make it officially stable. Then work on the next lot of features. I am just hoping they aren't going to create too much features at once and have to stop because they can't keep up. But then again, GS has Improve, it may not be enough to run but GS is finally starting to walk again.
  • fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309
    I read a post from 2009 saying multiplayer was the next thing they were working on, that's just funny.

Gendai's Agustin: Reaction to GameSalad has been phenomenal
    Next up, multiplayer features.
    http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/GameSalad+Creator/feature.asp?c=15787&srch=gamesalad

If you understand what's going on and have kept up with everything he has said you would understand. First if one is a Pro user you'd have been using tons of new stuff. I ken this would happen eventually. At some point a business can't survive with the vast majority of their user base getting the product for free. I expect some years down the road the free version will be limited to a trial. You guys expect a lot from something you get for free. Pro users have been using the new features for months now. I've been building our new game in the nightly using the loop behavior and expression to expression rules et... So yeah paying customers get first crack, who could have an issue with that? I completely understand all the behind the scenes rework that's been going on. This work must be done or they wouldn't be able to add the new features. Get used to it as multiplayer may be a pro only feature and we'll as other more robust features. Who can blame them they need to make money. As a consumer you have a choice. If you're not happy exercise that right. If you want early access to new features pay the money. There is not much else on life you get for free.
    Not complaining about the being pro, pro is great. Use of IAps, no ads, use of moblix ect, publish to android. Great features.
    But why would I want to build a game with features that haven't even gone through testing. That's my point, even if 11.0 is for pros only, get it in a stable release, I don't know how you can expect Paying customers to use yet another beta software.

I have a five year business plan, in it Gamesald is listed as a software, however answer me this, if I am trying to be sucessful, why would I pay to use a beta software?
    So thanks for defending them time after time, but its time they hear that maybe basing your business on beta software isn't quite benifitial.
    If GS is going to have a free trail, it should at least have stable version to offer,

Anyway all is said, we get it, all good.
    edited October 2013
    If one has been paying attention you'd have noticed the massive amount of layoffs at GS over this last year. That means money is tight. GS needs to be profitable. Yeah the old leadership messed up the software bad and so now code wizard has to fix it all. Instead of sweeping it under the rug like others did he took in the challenge to fix it right knowing full well you guys would complain. They needed to have the build branch fixed before they could issue new builds. Now that this work is nearly complete as the nightly build was the test of the repairs and back online they can move forward. These things take time. Heck the guy hasn't even been on the job a year yet. I'd like to know how productive most of you are at work or school? Do you meet the same high standards you set for them?
    Get a grasp on reality. Money doesn't grow on trees and work takes time to do.
    Alright, I see nothing has changed here,

Keep up the work GS,
    I have a business model as well. It includes but is not limited to GS a business always needs to be diversified. I do client work with GS everyday most for big clients not template modifications. I've been able through the last year to deliver quality product to the using GS. If you understand the software know how to code well and know what you can and can't so with it you can do well. I have brought our new game through about 8 different nightly versions with no major issues. Oh maybe I has to wait a few days for a patch on something but it didn't stop or ruin my development. I've been doing Android test builds to a major Fortune 500 company using the nightly with no issues. I've been using GS for three years and can count on one had the number of issues that stalled my development. I always find clever ways to work around any issues. Why? Because I read the whole forum and posts. Pickup tips from others and test out my own theories. Most of the code I see coming out of people on here is horrible, yet they think their code is good, well it's not. That's just the truth. Get better at coding and using the software. I'm not the only one who is productive with this software. Those who thoroughly apply themselves to this do well. Others who don't take the time to read the materials or test and such end up with issues. On the surface GS seems easy and it kinda is but that's not all there is to it.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    I'd like to know how productive most of you are at work or school? Do you meet the same high standards you set for them?
    I spend a couple of hours on the forum, get through a few videos on YouTube, make several Origami models, couple of games on the iPhone, regular disappearing acts, and this is just in the morning!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    We're doing our best. Keep an eye on the roadmap and the forums! :D
    We're doing our best. Keep an eye on the roadmap and the forums! :D
    I was going to take a look but I get

404: Host Not Found

No Webhop host exists at the given domain name! New hosts may take up to 15 minutes to load.

=((
    same, I was thinking their domain shutted down for no reason, or they are pushing out the download stuff for the Windows version of GameSalad Creator 10.4.
    Or maybe they're pushing out:
    - Windows 10.4
    - the next nightly.

What a Friday that would be :D
  • dayofjackaldayofjackal Member Posts: 111
    @CodeWizard can't wait for the changes coming down with the roadmap. Holding off releases though with GS until revmob and chartboost integrated :) Hopefully not too long a wait for pro's
  • cootscoots Member Posts: 1
    Chartboost and Revmob integration are moving along swimmingly.

Any news regarding this 2 is good news.
  • jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
    I'm just waiting for the Windows update.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• DeepBayGamesDeepBayGames Member Posts: 93
    Is there an estimated timeframe for when Chartboost will be available?
    waiting for 10.4 Windows.