Brave Bit APK Leaked!!!

EIGHTHSINEIGHTHSIN Member Posts: 132
Hi Guys,

I have been monitoring my progress and noticed that the Android Version of Brave Bit wasn't doing so well, so I did a little investigating only to discover that the APK is available to download all over the net!

What did I do wrong?

What can I do about this?

Comments

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    Welcome to Android development - the hackers paradise. Happens on Apple too. Just not to the same extent. Not much can be done I am afraid. Just hope some other person doesn't rename it 'super block jump' and start selling it themselves.

I personally don't think a paid app on Android will work well due to this very reason.

Anybody got any experience with this and had some success controlling piracy?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • EIGHTHSINEIGHTHSIN Member Posts: 132
    @jonmulcahy Haha, your comment set against that picture of the cat is Awesome! I guess I could use google play simply to build my network, however trying to build revenue from it can be thrown out the window!!!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I would think if you had a decent ad system in the game you would still generate ad revenue off the hacked versions. Well I guess if you where running an ad based game you probably would be getting hacked cause its already free.

BTW Google Play sucks >:)
  • DepressedPandaDepressedPanda Member Posts: 215
    That's why I don't publish to google play anymore.
    From a business perspective that makes zero sense. Sure, some immoral people will play your game that didn't pay for it. Those people wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Instead you lose out on building your brand and name recognition, and making a few bucks off the legit users. As a small developer you should want everyone who wants to play your game playing it, free or not, legal or not.

• FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    I´m sorry to hear that... But as @matarua said. "Android is the hackers paradise" I hope they will do something that at least minimize these kind of problems.
  • jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
    edited September 2013
    This unfortunately is how game development has been since the internet. You can combat this.

First - By releasing a free game with IAPs and iADs with a feature to purchase the full game ad free.

Second - To actually release a pirated version of the game yourself but make a few changes from the full game. An example would be (depending on the game) that after a certain amount of minutes played, the game goes back to level 1 and the player loses everything.

Or stuff like that, to really annoy the hackers. Although this isnt a mobile game, Game Dev Tycoon did this - http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/ which is really awesome imo

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• OskarDeveloperOskarDeveloper Member Posts: 533
    What if i told all of you that if the apk gets uploaded illegally, any "evil-gs-user" can get the apk, open it up in 7zip (or similar) and simply drag out the .gameproject file. Then proceed edit it in any way and then publish a new game from it?

Also in all gs apks theres a folder the size of 100 kb containing QQgamecenter stuff even if it never gets used in the games code. Is this necessary?
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    What if i told all of you that if the apk gets uploaded illegally, any "evil-gs-user" can get the apk, open it up in 7zip (or similar) and simply drag out the .gameproject file. Then proceed edit it in any way and then publish a new game from it?
    Hmm, I never thought for a moment that a GameSalad project when packaged was un-reversable, but I'd thought it would have been a bit more challenging than that! That's shoddy!

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    It's been a problem for a long while. Bravo on re affirming that for all the new sleaze bags lurking the forums.
  • LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2013
    Sorry to hear this @EIGHTHSIN

Why do google make it so easy? Awful.

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

• fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309
    I know amazon has its own security, is it better?