Urgent - game unable to load, everything appears lost

StarmuteStarmute Member Posts: 24
I have been working on this game for two years. I was just recently working on my game, then I saved it, and then something occurred, and many of the images appeared corrupted, and can't be opened in Preview. I am now unable to load the game at all. I need to know if any of these are possible on a mac, in order of preference:

1. Fix the images by some means
2. Copy an older version of the project from GameSalad Viewer (on my iPad) to the computer
3. Revert the project to an earlier date

Thanks for your help if you give me any.
-Starmute

Comments

• bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    edited June 2013
    I dont think its possible to revert the project, unless you back up your mac via Time Machine.
    From what I know you can not get the project from the viewer.

If it makes you feel any better, I lost a whole project about a month before I was ready to publish it too. X(
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    Do you have any back-ups saved, either on dropbox, time machine, etc? That's the only way you'd get anything back as far as I know. Sounds like something pretty catastrophic has happened to your project file!
  • StarmuteStarmute Member Posts: 24
    Well, it IS possible for me to manually recreate all of the lost images, though that would be very difficult. The project must be somewhere on the iPad, but I'm not sure where. And no, I don't have any backups. Here is the project file if you want it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12957789/AtomBlast.gameproj.zip
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    As far as I know there's no way of retrieving the project you tested through the viewer from any device.

I won't state the obvious that you HAVE to back up your work, especially something you've been working on for two years, as you're now painfully aware of that.

And I'm reluctant to click your download link, for all we know it was a virus that trashed your project file so I'm not keen to introduce that to my mac. If you hold tight you might be able to get some better advice from anyone who's experienced this themselves. Good luck.
  • adlaimadlaim Member Posts: 68
    if i understand your question :
    You can import your project file from GS viewer ..

but should your device have jailbreak .. open any application explorer like ( iFile , iFinBox ,etc..) then go to >> var/mobile/application/GS Viewer/stored games/game.gameproj

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    contact GS support, they might be able to help fix the package.

but before you do anything else, go spend $100 on a usb drive, plug it in and turn on time machine (if you have a mac).

or sign up for crashplan

in this day and age, having a backup plan (or in my case, multiple plans) is as important as car insurance.
  • muoch10muoch10 Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2013
    Actually it doesn't look like you even need to jailbreak. Theres an application called iExplorer that seems to work. When in iExplorer go to (your device)/apps/GS Viewer/Documents/stored_games/(name of the game). Then right click on whatever.gameproj and click export to folder. This is basically adlaim's solution but this way you don't have to jailbreak
    edited June 2013
    Actually it doesn't look like you even need to jailbreak. Theres an application called iExplorer that seems to work. When in iExplorer go to (your device)/apps/GS Viewer/Documents/stored_games/(name of the game). Then right click on whatever.gameproj and click export to folder. This is basically adlaim's solution but this way you don't have to jailbreak
    Indeed... unbelievably helpful. I thank you with all of my heart for your help. Thank you SO much.

Edit: Wait... it doesn't seem to be working... I'm not sure what is going on.
    What part are you stuck at? Did you get the project on to your computer?
    Yes, the project is on my computer, but two things are wrong:
    1. It seems to be impossible to edit prototypes.
    2. Many images are blurry.
    If you're ok with it, send the new file. I wanna try to take a look.
    edited June 2013
    Okay. Thanks so much. It may be something with my computer, regarding the inability to edit prototypes. Here's the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12957789/game.gameproj.zip
    I've already corrected some of the blurry images.
    edited June 2013
    The link doesn't seem to be working, is the file still uploading or something?
    Edit: Nevermind. Now it's downloading.
    Indeed
    It's done now
    edited June 2013
    removed, untrue
    Were you able to edit prototypes?
    I really am not too sure why it's like this. It seems that some prototypes work and others don't. From what I saw only the ones on the first scene didn't work, even though they were functional in the preview. I'm not sure what else to try doing.
    edited June 2013
    I think I should talk to support. I'll try opening them in other scenes. Thanks.
    Edit: Failure
    Oh my god...
    I've just recovered, as it seems, most of the original game file, with parts from the iPad one. However it is still impossible to edit most actors...?!
  • ChimoruChimoru Member, PRO Posts: 137
    Try clicking on "show package contents" in your project file, and find the file yourname.gsuser. Delete it, that helped me with some of my corrupted files.
    Try clicking on "show package contents" in your project file, and find the file yourname.gsuser. Delete it, that helped me with some of my corrupted files.
    yes, i have tried. that is one of the 20+ things I have tried. this is horrible, HORRIBLE.
  • ChimoruChimoru Member, PRO Posts: 137
    edited June 2013
    Here's an idea, but duplicate your file and do this because I've never tried it. But try going into the behaviors and actors folders and just delete all the XML files that are as recent as when it became corrupted. And only leave the files that are as old as when your project was functioning.
    I've already tried that, thanks anyways for trying.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    When you show the package contents, have you tried deleting the .gsuser file? Make sure to backup the project first and try that if you haven't
    I have tried that already.
    It appears I have located the cause of this problem. However, I am unsure of how to fix it.

The cause of the unable-to-edit-actors problem is that the game was transferred from iPad to my computer after the catastrophic corruption of the game file. I need immediate help on how to fix this.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    This isn't any consolation but I'd suggest that everyone back up their game in progress. Preferably using a source control system like github. It's a bit more work but you'll have versioned data to deal with. It's what all professional developers do!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Is that Dropbox link still valid? I'm on my phone but when I get home ill give it a loook
    I do think it is