No audio when running HTML5 App in Safari......

MoXoMMoXoM Member Posts: 8
Hi,

I'm posting this discussion again because I think I posted it in the wrong forum...

I've published my first ever app (currently work in progress) to GameSalad Arcade and currently have it embedded into my website.

It is a very simple random number generator called Randomings which takes two numbers from the user (between 1 and 1000) then generates a random number for them. It can be found at www.halabalu.com

I'm only starting out in app/game development so I thought this app would be a great way to start out (better than "Hello World").... =)

Although the App works fine whilst testing it in the web preview section of Creator, as soon as I upload the app to GameSalad Arcade, the audio disappears. The audio works fine in Google Chrome and Firefox but not Safari (including iOS).

Any idea why this is? It is really starting to bug me!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Mo.

Comments

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Chrome and Firefox will be better equipped for HTML5. It's up to each browser to make them html5 compliant. Some will be behind and won't be fully compatible. As I understand it sounds is typically a problem in some browsers.

I don't think the standards have been finalized for HTML5 yet so it's still a young technology.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5#Standardization_process
  • MoXoMMoXoM Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply!

I had a feeling this would be the case - just annoying since Safari is my preferred browser and is standard on iOS devices.

The thing I find confusing is that I can play games created by other people on GameSalad Arcade and the audio works fine.

My App only uses 3 MP3 files!!!

Hopefully this can be resolved asap.

Regards,

Mo.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Ah, well if it works on other GS games in Safari then I may be wrong! :)
    I'm going to try replacing those mp3 files with aiff files to see if this makes a difference. I'll let you know how I get on... :)
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    Not trying to be rude or a smartass. But do you have your volume turned up? I've done that before.
    Yep - volume levels are fine. I can hear the audio perfectly in Chrome and Firefox on my Mac but not in Safari. It also doesn't work on Safari on my iPhone 5...

I've changed the mp3 files to aiff but still no difference. I'll have to play around with it tomorrow after work (almost midnight in UK).

I'll report back tomorrow - thanks again for all your help and suggestions!

;)
    Just an update, I've re-published my App with both aiff audio and then wav audio.

Just as with mp3 audio, everything works well with Firefox and Chrome but not Safari....

:(
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    HTML 5 for all the touting Apple did about it in relation to flash the have been slow to implement it. There are website that test the HTML 5 ability of your browser. HTML 5 has been at a snails pace for all web browsers and web development tools. This is sad as they have been touting this for years now.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm very surprised how slowly things are moving with HTML5...

It would be nice to know what audio format other users use in their projects and whether they've experienced the same issues.

I can play other games on GS Arcade and hear audio...

Btw, I downloaded Chrome for iOS and the audio doesn't work!
    Small BUMP!

Still having issues with the audio. Any other ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!!
  • frogmorrisfrogmorris Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems. First a colleague noticed the sound didn't work on IE when they tried the game on their notebook and then I did some more test found that Safari wasn't working too well either. I have tried re-imported audio in different formats with no improvement so far. I noted some other games on the community arcade have the same problem. Anyone found any fixes?
    Not yet :(

• EOSEOS Member Posts: 74
    @MoXom I noticed a few bugs with HTML5 back in October when I used GameSalad for a game jam; one of those bugs was the audio issue your describing.

I used GameSalad again this week for another game jam hoping that the issue was fixed after all the HTML5 work they did for Tizen, but it looks a bunch of issues still exist. I'm going to submit a bug report when my game is done today, but so far this is what I've noticed:
    - No sound in Safari or Firefox (intermittently)
    - Behaviours turned 'off' will still fire at runtime
    - Display text behaviour doesn't work properly in Google Chrome
    - Adjusting volume with the 'Play Sound' behaviour appears to be ignored, all sound/music plays at full volume (in Chrome at least)

There are a few other bugs I can't remember at the moment. I don't know how many of these are GameSalad specific problems, as FBS pointed out HTML5 isn't perfect and seems to work better on some browsers than others.
  • fivefortyfiveforty Member Posts: 2

Hi MoXoM, did you ever find a way to fix this sound issue? I'm having the same misery.

• eschwartzeschwartz Member, PRO Posts: 22

I've saved off my iPhone app as an HTML project to apply all the special stuff needed to make the HTML5 work. I'm also having audio issues, but the real show stopper for me is the fact that the display text seems only able to update when the scene changes. I have score being shown with display text. But as they get points nothing is updated. This works fine on iPhone and Android. Did I over look some magical step to get display text to update?