amazingly slow performance

bladeolsonbladeolson Member Posts: 295
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I am having a real problem with the performance of the editor. When I open an actor it is literally taking 30 seconds for it to open. I thought it was the computer and tried another machine. Same thing. I even did a clean install of the OS. Is there something I can do?

Comments

• bladeolsonbladeolson Member Posts: 295
    I see, so less rules will speed things up? I guess I have to recode somehow. The thing I am opening only has 4 rules and a couple timers.

It is kind of making me insane a bit. It is not a whole lot of data, so i am perplexed to why it is getting so bogged down. seems like it is getting worse too.

I of course save a restart every 2 minutes or so. not exactly a good workflow.
  • adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,134
    Back up your gameproj file.
    Right click on the gameproj file and choose show package contents.
    Delete the file that ends in .gsuser.

Now try loading up the game file and see if that helps. Not sure it will, but it's worth a shot.
    crazy as it may seem. That did speed things up. Any idea why? Was that some kind of Jedi mind trick?
  • adadoadado Member Posts: 219
    Besides the leaks (which may be related to what I am about to say), a lot of the slowness has to do with the GUI and its remembrance of current state, navigation bread crumbs, and/or things being marked as edited all the time even if they are not:

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=5260

I really wish they would take my recommendation in that thread about just remembering last position, open up all parts of the behaviors, and then have "top" and "bottom" links.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    One trick I learned to prevent the software from slowing down....

DO NOT USE THE BACK BUTTON.

I've noticed if I use the back button the software will slow down drastically after about 15 minutes. But personally I find it easier when editing actors to just hit HOME & then the actors tab. It makes finding actors a lot easier too, b/c it is a bigger window. Plus not hitting the BACK button seems to help A LOT.

Then again I could have sniffed too many markers today...but whatever....
    JGary - I will give that a try too. Sounds like I am going to have to juggle and jump through hoops at the same time to make this game get finished. Hopefully, this gets worked out in the engine somehow in a future release. I was thinking to study xcode in between clicks.... thanks for the ideas guys.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    tshirtbooth said:
    Jgary it get approved yet?

Yea :)

I put it to be released tomorrow, so it will be up at midnight. Anyone know if that is EST/PST??

I will put a post/link up when it is released.