Game File Randomly Disappeared when Saving

JacksonMLJacksonML Member Posts: 5
I was working for about an hour last night on a new game. First off I am using GameSalad for Windows version 0.10.00 Basic License. So I was very consistant on saving the game because what happened to some of my other files (not necesarily in gamesalad but other programs crashing). I went to save, and the saving window popped up. Its normally up for a split second, but this time it just kept going. The disk didn't show any activity, neither did my CPU. I left it up overnight with the saving window and its still there this morning. Am I going to need to restart the entire game? The folder is still there its just the File.gsproj file is missing (Its not called File though). I have all the folders and files except gsproj. Can anyone help me or respond to what they think? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JacksonMLJacksonML Member Posts: 5
    Just to add I tried to recover the file using Piriform Recuvva and it did not find the .gsprog. :(
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    I'm not sure how/if you can recover the file, but it's a good idea to save frequently not only to the file you've started working on but also to separate files (e.g. game v1, game v2, game v3, etc.).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

I'm not sure how/if you can recover the file, but it's a good idea to save frequently not only to the file you've started working on but also to separate files (e.g. game v1, game v2, game v3, etc.).
    Alright. I do have a .zip of the file that I can get a basis off, but its gonna take some time to get back. I can reload the .zip of the file right?

edited May 2013
    If you have a .zip file, you can uncompress it and it should work fine.

Oh wait, do you mean that you published the app as an .ipa and then zipped it? In that case, you can't really reconstruct the project file for use in Creator. I'd recommend contacting Support to see if they can help.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• atxryanatxryan Member, Microsoft Team Posts: 117
    If the only thing truly missing was the .gsproj file, you can just create a new one. Right click in your project folder and add a new text document. Rename it to your File.gsproj or whichever name you prefer.
    If you have a .zip file, you can uncompress it and it should work fine.

Oh wait, do you mean that you published the app as an .ipa and then zipped it? In that case, you can't really reconstruct the project file for use in Creator. I'd recommend contacting Support to see if they can help.
    I have a .zip but its old so I wouldn't be getting all of it back
    If the only thing truly missing was the .gsproj file, you can just create a new one. Right click in your project folder and add a new text document. Rename it to your File.gsproj or whichever name you prefer.
    Oh my gosh thank you so much! You saved me about half an hour of work (limited schedule that I can work on)
    Wait scratch that. I can get the file working but I can't save the game. If I try to save(as) it gets stuck on that screen.
    edited May 2013
    @JacksonML You may have a corrupted project file or there may be something wrong with Creator. If you start a new blank project file and try to save it, does it let you?

What version of Windows are you running?

The way to avoid corrupt file issues is to save more frequently to a separate file so that you have multiple copies and can "restore" to a very recent version. My latest game has several hundred separate project files (game v1, game v2, game v3, etc.). Call me crazy but I've never lost any work since I've started that system!