Collision clipping? Bug or software limitation?

TouchiMediaTouchiMedia Member Posts: 154
Greetings,

I'm working with a few circle 'actors' and square 'actors' with physics / collisions detections. I also have platforms.

Right now, I haven't published, but testing it in gamemaker - for the most part the physics are happening as expected. But other times, the actors will go through each other. I control the 'actors' with the touch and drag - also can 'throw' by touching then releasing in a motion and the actor goes in given direction. Problem, sometimes actors will go through the platforms. I have quadrupled check everything. Platforms are non-moveable, actors are. The tags and collisions are all setup correctly.

It works 90% of the time, and often the clipping occurs in faster then normal motion. But sometimes the actors will be going normal rate and still clip through. Is this just limitations of software with physics or am I missing a hidden feature? Also - Will it be better once I publish? Is there some kind of memory leakage going on with built-in viewer?

Any help / input greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Try increasing the density of the non movable actors make the value larger than the actor colliding with it. But yeah the collision physics engine in GS needs improvement.
  • TouchiMediaTouchiMedia Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2013
    That didn't help but thanks..

The actual physics work nicely. But collision detection clips sometimes, it almost seems random but mostly when 'tossing' speed is faster then normal. But I have noticed it also sometimes when they just drop from a distance, they will go through platform. I'll restart, and it'll collide like normal. Preventing me from completing my game ={

Is there a continuous collision detection option available or being planned? I have found work arounds for every issue I've had but this one seems to keep popping up..

Appreciate the input/help
  • dzataradzatara Member Posts: 0

experiencing a very similar problem... when is this going to be fixed?? my game is currently very glitchy due to this :(

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member Posts: 527

I recommend the same as The_Gamesalad_Guru, raises the value of density, but at a really high number :)

• dzataradzatara Member Posts: 0

i raised the density of the actor value by 100, and it does seem to help.
    Thanks casualevolution

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Not 100... more like 10,000.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member Posts: 527

Nothing to thank, the response was from The_Gamesalad_Guru, I just thought why your answer not helped you ... remember, it's free to try the appropriate value of a variable :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,351

If you are moving the actor by constraining it to some kind of touch, then collisions will not occur while the constraint is active. If you're sometimes releasing the touch before the collision occurs and sometimes not (due to fast swiping), that might be why it is sometimes colliding and sometimes not. There are ways to avoid it, so if that turns out to be your problem I'll explain/point you to an explanation.