Kernel Panic X 3

Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
edited November -1 in Tech Support
In 18 months of happy Mac using (20 years of pc hell(ish) I've had one kernel panic...and that was when a strip of non apple ram died on me...well...starting up GS work after a long break and I have had 3 panics in the last 1.5 hours.

I have many apps installed and jump about my desktop like a stunt squirrel(:)) but I am not at all impressed to see GS giving me the grey screen of death!!

OS X 10.6.3

Comments

• eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    YES! I get them a lot, especially when I try to make a game in portrait mode and then preview it...very upsetting...
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    So thats a hard reset yes, power off and on etc?
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    [formally Macview]

3 times last night - I always fear the preview button - or trying someones demo/game or worse yet, Creating a new game with a couple of actors - how does that trigger a panic?
    Well here is something good to keep you going whilst re-bloody-booting and its free today only apparently

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/retro-revolution/id363462667?mt=8
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    hmm... is your machine getting really really hot?

do you have bad sectors on your hard drive? (download SmartUtil and find out if your S.M.A.R.T. status is failing or passed)

do you have any weird kernel extensions installed?

Have you tried a clean re-install of osx? (i know this sucks, but it rules out hardware problems if everything works fine after a clean install it was some software glitch)

osx 10.5 or 10.6?
    [Formally Macview]

I have run the doctors and repaired any issue but the main thing is, why does no other app cause an issue? whether it's running Preview in GS or running a game in safari with the GS plug-in it points to GS as Causing the panic.

Not going to go as far as reinstalling the OS but what if I set up another user and run under that - maybe I won't have as many underlying resources running there to interfere.

---------
    Current game demo:
    @single I can assure you this is a GS problem.
    Have you tried the new user idea? I missed this but it makes sense.
  • mikermiker Member Posts: 10
    I have been using a mac for over two years now and I just tried to preview a test game I created in portrait mode and bang. Kernel panic issue. First I have seen ever.

I create games in other software and test with no issues so I too believe this is an issue with Game Salad.

I guess I wont be trying again with a game in portrait mode. (Never seen it with any landscape mode game test in Game Salad.)

Back to the slow old fashioned way for this game. :D

Cheers

Mike R
    It's a pretty alarming experience for those that have never seen one and in my books should be at the very top of the list of things to get sorted out, but no one from GS seems that bothered.
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    Q: How many getting kernal panics with GS are using Intel iMacs?

---

I only get kernal panics if I am using GS. I did get a few a year or so ago with an older version of Safari but those seem to have stopped with all the upgrades over the past year.

This may help you all if you have an Intel iMac:

I have noticed that when I kernal panic during GS, it is almost always during preview. Also at that time my Intel iMac's temperature is spiking. I've seen it as high as 115 degrees F during this timeframe. I think the GS "interpreter" and the graphics rendering are really chewing up the machine.

Somewhat related to this is the fact that some Intel iMac's fans just don't turn on when they should. When I bought my iMac new, I noticed the fans did operate. After a few weeks, I noticed the machine was hot to touch, especially on the tops and I believe left side if I remember right. I thought it was strange and noticed I could not hear the fans. I did a little research and others were reporting the issue too.

So I downloaded this fan control program:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

I set up a few profiles within it. I have the default "Apple approved low-speed" profile for web browsing, playing music. I have another with the settings bumped up to about halfway for watching videos and doing some other things. Then I have another one about 75% the way up for running GS, playing graphics intense games, etc. Then there is the final MAX profile that bumps the fans all the way up to max speed for when it appears to be getting hot despite the other settings. Keep in mind that MAX settings can get a bit noisy!

I used to use the lower speed profile for GS. However, I started using the 75% speed profile for GS fairly recently and it appears to have helped since I have yet to kernal panic. My temp stays below 107 degree F now and thus far no kernal panics.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    SingleSparq said:
    ---------
    Current game demo:

any thoughts to fixing the position of the planet in the background? I think that would add a little realism, as no matter how much you move side to side, distant objects don't seem to follow.
    For me at least it has nothing to do with heat. The exact same test app in landscape mode previews fine. Put it into portrait mode and bang... Kernel panic.

Mike
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It sounds like something in the portrait mode preview. This will help us a lot in squashing the issue.

If anyone has that issue otherwise please chime in. Also is it ipad or iphone portrait mode? Or both?
  • AndreagamesAndreagames Member Posts: 18
    i just had kernel panic, first time with my new iMac.
    Happened only with Gamesalad.

I have snow leopard with all updates, and last iMac with radeon 4670 and 8 Giga of ram.

I have a intensive use of my mac with final cut studio, photoshop, so i think is Gamesalad issue.
    Forgot this post was still around - have subscribed to it now. Keep in mind codemonkey, it's not just portrait switch that can invoke it. I wasn't switching when it happened to me. If it happens again I will post what I did leading up to it to help.

In a somewhat (but not really) related issue - I have noticed my Safari just running in the background (set on the GS forum) crash and it tells me its because of a plugin called Sparkle? the path it shows is a Gamesalad related path to the plugin - just a mention.
    For me, it has been nothing but iPhone and landscape thus far. Although, I do notice it happens way more often with a scene larger than the screen. Scene is landscape wide but three times height. So maybe it relates to scene height more than a layout mode!?
    just preview is often enough for me, I tend to use the viewer unless I want a tea break, would the crash reports not be of interest?
    I have not tried ipad settings yet so cant comment on that side of things.

Thanks

Mike
    rebump said:
    Q: How many getting kernal panics with GS are using Intel iMacs?

Anyone who is getting kernal panics and are NOT using iMacs, please chime in? And/or what is your graphics card type?
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    Ii have a macbook white. Im not fully sure on what a kernal panic is but I've never had to restart my macbook due to GS. Every 20 minutes I have to exit it though because my macbook goes really slow. :)
    Kernal Panic usually can take a few forms but will freeze you up totally and require a hard restart. looks like this screen:
    http://www.aaronfeng.com/files/2007-04-09_osx_kernel_panic.png
  • AndreagamesAndreagames Member Posts: 18
    Kernel panic again, in webplayer too 0-8-5
    Randon Kernel panic with gamesald creator after few minutes of usage

So for now Gamesalad is unusable.

iMac with ati 4670
    For the record:

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8hz w/4G RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro - 256MB

No issue (other than usual slowdown) on a mini yet but I'm not on that system too often.
    iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB, OS X 10.6.3
    iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz extreme with 4gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro- 256mb ram.

Mike
    Another Kernel panic - using 0.8.6.

As I knew there was a chance this would happen I made a back up of the file before the major change I was making.

I have been working on this game for 6 months now with 2 current game play levels (scenes). I made a copy of the second scene then deleted the backgrounds - added new backgrounds and made some slight changes to the game controller actor being used there. Saved then hit preview - ZAP theres the kernel panic. This is pretty well how it happen last time - made a copy of scene, made some slight changes and hit preview.

Only GOOD thing was after restarting and opening the game file the scenes were still there and running the preview worked fine (the time before it deleted my scenes).

So the conclusion I have is there is still some bug on the preview that has yet to be resolved.
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    I have only had a kernel panic in the last three years when using gamesalad in portrait mode, when I hit preview my entire computer freezes up...I have a mac pro with ATI,RadeonX1900 card and 5 gigs. I just tried it with 0.86 and it did it again same as ever..
    :( please keep sending those Crash Reports to us when GS asks you at startup of the program. Thanks.