Fire Maple Games new trailer for our upcoming game, Mosaika!

firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
Hello all of my GameSalad friends!

Sorry I have not been posting on the forums like I used to... My wife and I had our first baby 7 months ago and we also moved to a new state - It's been a little hectic around here! I still find time to lurk about the GS forums pretty much every day though! ;-)

I am proud to announce the new trailer for our upcoming adventure game, Mosaika! Pat and I have been working really hard on it for over a year now!

http://bit.ly/15mO8rN

Please like us on Facebook and follow us on twitter for the latest news and info, and to be notified when the game is released!

www.facebook.com/FireMapleGames
www.twitter.com/firemaplegames

Thank you!
Joe

Comments

• creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    edited March 2013
    Wow Amazing After The Lost City One More Big Hit Coming. Graphics & arts are amazing as usual..:) I would like to see making of any particular scene. Like how you combine original image and converted into digital painting.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    edited March 2013
    It's soooo beautiful...

*Dies*

*Comes back to life*

Wow! That, sir, is AMAZING! Love it!
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Wow! Great job; I can't wait to try it out ;)
    Let me know if you need beta testers :)
    - Thomas
  • artfishartfish Member, PRO Posts: 369
    Awesome Joe!!! Thanks for inspiring!
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    edited March 2013
    Wow, amazing!
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    @firemapegames
    Yep, looking awesome! :)>-

Let me know too ;)

Chakku
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    Wow awesome trailer.
    @firemapegames
    Yep, looking awesome! :)>-

Let me know too ;)

Chakku
    Let me know as well
    :)
  • DalleZDalleZ Member Posts: 85
    Already watched and it's really great :)

Looking forward to play this!
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Looks ace as always.
  • goliathgoliath Member Posts: 1,440
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    Saw this on Facebook the other day, looking forward to it Joe! Beautiful as always
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    Awesome. You make some of the best games out there, looking forward to this.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    Love the trailer! Can't wait for the release! :D
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    That is incredible! I want to play this!
    Joe, you always inspired me, and after all those years, you still do!
    Thank you for this! and looking forward to this hit!

Roy.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Thanks for posting. Me and my wife are looking forward to playing Mosaika.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Wow! The trailer is incredible! Is it going to be made with GameSalad?
  • ChirpinGamesChirpinGames Member, PRO Posts: 214
    Incredible!!
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    @everyone: Thank you so much for the kind words! It really means a lot!

@POM : You inspire me, sir! I will be upgrading my iPhone this week, and I am excited to dive into Twin Swords!

@creativeapps :

I am basically using matte painting techniques to create the images. It's a mixture of photos and "hand painting" in Photoshop with different brushes to bring it all together.

Here are some links to tutorials that use pretty much the exact same techniques I use. I highly recommend them!

Really nice haunted house:
    http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/the_haunted_house

I recommend looking at anything on the cgsociety website in fact. Amazing artists there!

And this one is fantastic. A transformation of the London History Museum:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=474&catDisplay=1&roPos=1&page=1#.USRm4aWBCck

That will show you all the steps he used.

And here's a different artist's interpretation of the same building:
    https://mlkshk.com/r/IMVM

I would Google "matte painting tutorials" and things like that. A ton of great stuff on the internet.

The guy I develop the games with, Pat, is an amazing photographer. He takes thousands of photos for each game.

Here is basically my process:

This photo of a tree is from when we were walking around Prospect Park in Brooklyn that I used for the basis of one of the scenes in the game:

I then took some bushes from another photo of the same park and added them to the scene. At this point I am just playing around, just sliding different bits of photos around seeing what I like.

Next I took this photo of a cool mausoleum from a cemetery we visited and added it to the scene:

This now provides me with the basic composition that I build the final images from. Using different layer effects, other bits of photos, and lots and lots of hand painting in Photoshop, I arrive at something like this:

My Photoshop files have hundreds of layers. It is certainly a tedious process, but I have a lot of fun with it!

The photos provide me with a solid base to work off of, and it helps add to the 'magic' realism effect that I am going for.

Each final image takes a few days. And I don't even start on the artwork until the entire game is completely mapped out on paper first, which takes about a month. These games a definitely a labor of love for me, and hopefully people enjoy playing them as much as I do making them!

Hope this helps!
    Joe
    edited March 2013
    wow thank you so much Joe for this. Its really helpful for me. And congratulations for your first baby. It should be in best of gamesalad. I must say you have very powerful vision for this. You are truly an inspiration to me.

My Photoshop files have hundreds of layers. It is certainly a tedious process, but I have a lot of fun with it!
    I think photoshop cs6 layer search feature is really helpful for you.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474

The photos provide me with a solid base to work off of, and it helps add to the 'magic' realism effect that I am going for.

Each final image takes a few days. And I don't even start on the artwork until the entire game is completely mapped out on paper first, which takes about a month. These games a definitely a labor of love for me, and hopefully people enjoy playing them as much as I do making them!

Hope this helps!
    Joe
    So THAT'S how you do it! Looks amazing, Joe! LOVED your previous games, so I will certainly grab this!

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    edited March 2013
    @firemaplegames Awesome pictures man, i'm sure that is a rough process of doing. But I work in a cemetery full time, if you need any type of pictures in the future, let me know.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Looks ok, doesn't it?

;)

Looking forward to playing it!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Hmm I wonder if there is anywhere I can place a bet on what will be number 1 on the app store in April... ;)
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Thanks, guys!
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    The trailer looks great but it's especially interesting to see the process you go through to create your images. A few days per image... definitely a labor of love. Impressive.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    Love how its only really the base of the tree that makes the final image! Soo much effort going into these Joe! You're an inspiration!
    edited March 2013
    Like the surface ground tile effect in surface everywhere in the game.
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    Missed this. Trailer looks amazing.
    The lost city was awesome. hope this comes out soon :)
    ---
    Benjamin