Color Depth Issues in Game Salad

HappyBadgersHappyBadgers Member Posts: 53
I'm noticing some color depth issues with my Game Salad game. I'm saving high quality PNGs, with very nice, subtle gradients. They look good in the creator preview, but one the device they look like garbage.

The gradients you see in this screenshot should be smooth gradients, not harsh, color stepped gradients. It seems like the engine is reducing the number of colors in the image.

Is this standard behavior? Any workaround?

Thanks!

Comments

• dr2391dr2391 PRO Posts: 78
    The difference in the 2 colors is so subtle that there are not enough color steps to to produce a smooth gradient in such a big area. Your computer screen probably has more colors than than the device you are using.

I may be wrong but I had this problem and fixed it by changing the colors some and making the gradient smaller.
  • HappyBadgersHappyBadgers Member Posts: 53
    I think you're on the right track - but I think the problem is in the Game Salad engine. My device can display the original image fine, but then once its in Game Salad, it can't reproduce all the colors.

This is the original background image:

Hmm yeah I guess that is a GS problem. I wonder if it could be a resolution independence problem? Have you tried without resolution independence checked? (if you had it checked to begin with)
    What is the size of the image?
    The bg is iPad retina size. I'll try messing with the resolution independence setting
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    It's an iOS error not just to gs

Best way around is to put a 1px transparent pixel in the corner, it forces the image to render in 24 bit color mode

Search for gradients to find a bunch of posts on it
    You are a life saver - trying it now