GS & iPhone OS 4.0, GS 0.8.5, and Johnny Constellation

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Boy howdy!

It's been a crazy weekend, and this one, like most crazy weekends, has resulted with quite a news-filled Monday. So, here we are, with a bowl full of news, all being served at once. Get your fill, there's plenty here for everyone.

Today, we've got release notes on the latest update to the GameSalad Creator - version 0.8.5 beta, more on Gendai Games' first iPad title Johnny Constellation, and an official response to everyone's iPhone OS 4.0 concerns, specifically in relation to section 3.3.1.

Get your spoons ready, because this heapin' helpin' is coming out hot!

GameSalad 0.8.5 beta Now Available

The newest version of the GameSalad Creator Tool is available now and here's a list of features and fixes so you know what to expect:

Features:

• Ability to hide the scenes in Preview Player
  • Ability to scale the view to 50% for larger resolution games in Preview Player
Fixes:

• Auto-rotation fixed for initial device orientation
  • Publishing server fixed to allow OS 3.0 games
  • Pro membership custom loading screens added again
  • Actor size changes also resize collision area
  • Touch count reset when getting push notifications
  • Linear velocity attribute can now be used in expressions
Remember, if you're upgrading to 0.8.5, please also upgrade your GameSalad Viewer(s).

Johnny Constellation Now Available On iPad!

Oh no! Johnny Constellation needs to collect stars near the Sun, but his ship is out of control!

Johnny Constellation is Gendai Games' first ever iPad title and is available for download now at the App Store.

Draw lasers with your finger to bounce Johnny around the solar system. Plan your moves to collect the stars using the least amount of lasers. This unique puzzle / platformer will have you dodging black holes, avoiding UFOs and warping through wormholes in 60 action-packed levels.

GamePlay Features

• Touch-and-drag laser-drawing controls
  • Collect stars using as few lasers as possible to maximize your high score
  • Hard mode for players want a real challenge
Now go have fun helping Johnny soar through the cosmos in this one-of-a-kind space adventure!

Get Johnny Constellation now from iTunes.

Reach for the stars!

GameSalad and the Case of iPhone OS 4.0

Ever since Apple announced the details of iPhone OS 4.0 there's been a lot of concern among the GS development community on what their new agreement would mean for the future of the GameSalad Creator Tool and the developers who use it.

As to these concerns, we would like to say that our team has always had a good relationship with Apple and they have not indicated to us that anything will change. GameSalad is architected in such a way that we anticipate no problem adhering to the iPhone PLA.

For those who follow our CEO on twitter will also have seen this recent tweet regarding iPhone OS 4.0 and its effect on GameSalad.

Lexander: #iPhone4: Where others see brick walls, we're discovering a wealth of opportunities for @GameSalad. 2010 is going to be fun. Stay tuned.

Get the latest version of GameSalad Creator.

And don't forget to check out Johnny Constellation on the iPad!

Comments

• CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    Thanks for the update. Looks like the apocalypse will be delayed.
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    "our team has always had a good relationship with Apple and they have not indicated to us that anything will change"

That means you had contact with Apple on that issue? You got a clear response from Apple on section 3.3.1?
    If so, that would be great. Well, if you don't bother, why should I?! :-P
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Good news, thanks for the news yoda
  • nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    nice
  • rmayiirmayii Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for the update. Methinks letting sleeping dogs lie is the best approach here.

Will be trying to submit our first game this week - so we'll find out soon enough.
  • michelericciomichelericcio Member Posts: 45
    great! after this new, i will end my games! thanks staff!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    cheers for the info...

Quake Builder creation continues...
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I like these posts
    thanks
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    @tshirt, lol made me laugh and i woke up my mom. Tut, you got me grounded now :P
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Somewhat reassuring, but I'm sure we can match the other thread for replies.

Come on - only about 340 more to go :D

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    I almost slipped and yanked the hair dryer into the bathtub!

Phew! I was about to go punch someone in their liver.

What, too soon?
  • izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
    Cheerios! This post made my day!
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    Thanks for the update, Yodapollo! That's good news for sure.

Johnny Constellation looks great.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    tshirtbooth, keep the stencils just in case! ;-)
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Thanks GS, so we're okay then I take it.... at least for now!
  • jhaasjhaas Member Posts: 233
    FYI - I just had an iPad app approved today. Further proof that the iPad rotation issue has been corrected. :)
    @jhaas: In some cases it hasn't, http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=5506 Im not sure why though. :/
  • jhaasjhaas Member Posts: 233
    You may be right - the image I used for my splash screen(Pro License) was generic in that it doesn't matter what the orientation is. I.E. - no wording or orientation specific graphics.
    Maybe GS could give express users custom loading screens for now? ^.^

GS Moderator posts:
    No.
  • mrfunkleberrymrfunkleberry Member Posts: 424
    Fantastic news about Johnny Constellation i'm sure the whole GS dev community are punching the air.

On a more minor point, hardly worth mentioning, but oh hell here goes...

I have always had a good relationship with my car dealer, and i didn't anticipate any problems when driving my car into the sea. In hindsight of course i supposed i should have asked my dealer the direct question "Does my car float?"

Is there a moral to this story? No i guess not. Jeeze, as long as your still friends with apple (they were pretty sweet to me in the store too). And if you 'anticipate' no problems, who cares if you don't actually know, thats probably good enough. sure. its all fine. just fine.

Is there any chance is might be stated in a more categorical manner? Like GameSalad definitely costs $99?

So anyway Johnny Constellation on the iPad you say?...
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    @ Mrfunkleberry

I like the cut of your jib, sir!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    @yodapollo,
    if you feel we're out of the woods, please say so in a yellow sticky on this other post and close it: http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=5335&page=13

Thanks ;~)
    @ Yodapollo,

I second rdcube's post, we need a bit of closure on this so there's not a ton of posts with speculation that GS is doomed
    @ rdcube & butterbean

If they could, they would. What we are seeing here is enthusiastic bravado to hide what? Seems like the speculation continues.

I know folks who've already binned GS, and more and more are talking about learning xcode. Sadly the situation will worsen as confusion turns into mistrust turns into resentment.

Don't get me wrong, i don't entirely blame Gendai. They may not have an answer to give. Apple might be stringing them along, they have a lot on their plate at the moment.

One thing is for sure i 'anticipate' creating a little book of the Whispers thread. I shall live in a tree, eating the occasional passing squirrel. I shall read it every night to remind me why i got out of developing, and i shall be happy.
    GS has been known to be very cautious with what they say. Hopefully that rule still applies to this latest post from Yoda.

Although it would be nice to get 100% affirmation that we're all okay, I don't think they can say that for certain until April 22nd.

Fingers crossed that they're right, and we're in the green though!
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    awesome, I think we're in the clear.
  • RevolvingDoorRevolvingDoor Member Posts: 35
    @ mrfunkleberry: Maybe you could write a GS-forum dramedy for Broadway? I think you could still live in a tree if you really wanted... Just make sure you check the new TOS to see that Apple didn't somehow make it illegal for screenwriters to live in trees first.
    @RevolvingDoor moi? Broadway? My name in lights?!! People calling out my name? Waiting on my every word? Naaaa i'll stick to my tree. safe tree. no people in my tree
  • rebumprebump Member Posts: 1,058
    One thing we may all be missing here is this: the future...

...imagine if you will, a story or two on the leading Mac oriented blogs and news sites that do technology stories. The lede goes like this:

"After intense negotiations, Apple and Adobe have settled their differences. Apple will get a XX% cut of all Adobe product sales for Adobe products that allow iDevice application creation. Other details in the negotiation include..."

Well, it could theoretically happen.
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    wow... I'm pretty sure that the CEOs of these companies(GS, UNITY) have more to lose than we all do. This whole "conspiracy theory" and "speculation" attitude is only fueling itself into frustration and your own "Mistrust." If things were really as bad as some of you make it sound, and I were the CEO, I surely wouldn't make an effort to post such a positive, good rapport building message with my clients(that would be us).

I'm going to join the "Glass-half-full"ers.

Not gonna worry.

Cheers! :) ...Mine's lemonade.