Some beginner questions about GameSalad

ewsgewsg Member Posts: 3
Hello! :)

I'm very interested on GameSalad, but, I have no knowledgement in programing and drawing/design. To create a game always was my dream, and I have never get to start.

So, I would like to know if can I create games with GameSalad, even so. Or, do I have to know programing?

Taking in consideration, also, the fact I don't know to draw (nothing), how can I lead with this, using GameSalad?

Also, do you know some good examples of games created with the software? Successfull games, for example? Games being sold?

And, purchasing the entire suite (is there one? - costs it US$ 299,00?), can I create games for PC, Mac, iOS, Android, web, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Comments

• ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited December 2012
    @ewsg First of all...Welcome!

You can use free art, or make/hire people to do your own. Yes, GameSalad is developing games without code, but it's still not a one-day commitment ;) And iOS, Mac, Web, and use of GameSalad Viewer is Free, but Pro ($299) is for that stuff + Android, Kindle, Windows 8 (EVERY Windows 8 device except mobile, but they're working on bringing mobile to the Pro users!), In-app purchases, iAds, Playhaven Ads, Twitter support, GameCenter support, Custom URLs and anything else I missed can be found here: http://gamesalad.com/creator/pricing

Hope this helps, and welcome!
    Chakku
  • ewsgewsg Member Posts: 3
    Hello Chakku,

Thank you very much. :)

So, I can even to create games for Windows 7, etc?

Does GameSalad comes with some assets, sprites, sounds, etc?
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    @ewsg

No, not for Windows 7 (yes for windows 8, if you get Pro), but you can create an online game, which is playable on all computers on the web :)

And check out the GameSalad marketplace, or just google gamesalad assets to find some, as no, GameSalad does not include assets, other than the ones in their free templates.
    Hello Chakku,

Thanks again. :)

Just one more question, please: to create iOS games, do I have to have a Mac?

And, to create games for iOS can we use the free version? Even if we eventually sell that games?
  • GeniusbearGeniusbear Member Posts: 107
    Nope also iOS games can be made with the Gamesalad creator for Windows.
    Here is a list of the features the free version has:

http://gamesalad.com/creator/pricing

Gr.GeniusBear
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    You do need a Mac if you want to publish to the Apple App Store. I keep hearing about a virtual mac online cloud thingy, but I have no idea what it is, or how you use it, but supposedly you can access a mac environment through the web, and publish/submit that way. Again, I know nothing about it, just keep hearing stuff about it.

There is a Pro option, but It's free to use GameSalad. Although, It does cost $99 a year to get a developers license which allows you to submit to Apple. That's not a GameSalad thing, that's an Apple thing.
    Thank you all for all your help.

So, regarding commercial games: can I sell titles I create with the free version, or not? :)

Also, does GameSalad requires programing skills?
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited December 2012

Hi @ewsg

So, regarding commercial games: can I sell titles I create with the free version, or not? :)
    Yes, you can sell titles created with the free version.

Also, does GameSalad requires programing skills?
    Ideally, programming skills are required, and certainly a great advantage, though not absoultely necessary to get started; you don't need coding skills as such, the "lumps" of code are ready-made for you in the Rules and Behaviours; that's where programming skills come in handy to put them together in an efficient and elegant fashion.

Having said that, there is what could be termed coding, when you utilise expressions and attributes in algorithms, equations, etc., when you are a bit more experienced in GSC.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    The not-a-one-day comment is really important for new game developers. I took a mediocre background in computer science -- so I was familiar with data structures, variables, etc., but couldn't actually program much -- and after I found GameSalad I was able to create my first game after 60 long hours of work. I can't draw either, so I used free graphics (and sounds). I did little marketing but was very proud of my first effort. To date, about a year later, it has sold 4 copies (granted, nearly 1000 people have downloaded it, but still). I've made just under $4.

So be excited, be optimistic, but also be realistic. You need to put in the work, which means reading the forums, watching the videos, downloading/buying templates and figuring out how they work, etc. It will pay off, but if you have very high expectations right from the beginning, you'll quickly get disappointed.

Start simple and make a simple game. Just for yourself. Just to prove you can. GameSalad is an amazing and relatively very easy tool to use for game development. Have fun!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• Luai_AdelLuai_Adel Member Posts: 1

Hi All,

Thank you all for the very interested conversation and had a great value

one question please

if i create game using game salad, will this game be mine only? can i sell it and publish it for my own benefit? also the idea of the game will be hidden until i publish it?

Thanks
    Luai

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

@Luai_Adel said:
    Hi All,

Thank you all for the very interested conversation and had a great value

one question please

if i create game using game salad, will this game be mine only? can i sell it and publish it for my own benefit? also the idea of the game will be hidden until i publish it?

Thanks
    Luai

Yep, the game is fully yours, and be careful about what you reveal to people to keep your game secret.

Think of it like writing a book. If you use Word to write your book, Microsoft do not take any money from you and it fully belongs to you.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• rjvgamesrjvgames Member Posts: 7

Greetings from New Jersey. I'm new to GameSalad and will be getting Pro soon. I do have a question about specs. It said I need at least Mac OS 10.6 (I have 10.7) along with X-Code 4.6 and iOS support. Is this something I need to get or is it already in my system. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• kwnstantinoskkwnstantinosk Member Posts: 1

Hello, I am new in GameSalad and general in programing staff. I would like to ask if anyone knows if I want my game to be played between Facebook or email friends and sending invitation to them like the app DrawSomething how can I do that?

• stahboystahboy Member, PRO Posts: 150

@kwnstantinosk‌

As of right now, GameSalad does not support Facebook. You can however use Twitter if you get the pro account

• I was wondering were do you grag the code?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@annacrisp312@icloud.com If you have a question about using GameSalad, please start a new thread and be as detailed as possible.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

This discussion has been closed.