Game possibly corrupted...

gamesfuagamesfua Member Posts: 723
I've been working on this game for almost a solid year now. It's about 80mb thus far. Recently whenever I try to work on the game, I'll be able to create one or so attributes, and then after that, I can't do much else. The creator is still up (meaning it doesn't crash), but, I can't move rules around. I can't add any other rules. Etc. Even more strange when I go back to previous versions (save files), it has the same problem. What do I do? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    If previously working versions are suffering from problems they didn't previously exhibit then I suspect the issue is with your copy of Gamesald - personably I'd reinstall GS.
  • gamesfuagamesfua Member Posts: 723
    @Socks thank you! Perhaps, and hopefully, this is the problem. I'll give it a try. If anyone else has an ideas please send them over as I attempt this fix. I'd hate to lose a year of hard work. You all are incredible, thanks!
    Just a heads up, when i start a new game from scratch i'm not getting the problems.
    Reinstalling GameSalad didn't work.
  • fogartyfogarty Member, PRO Posts: 181
    I don't have any suggestions, but your post strikes fear into my heart, so I'm bumping it in the hope that you get more help.
  • mrpacogpmrpacogp Member Posts: 400
    I`m ussing a tactic.
    Each day i copy my game with finder and continue working with the new.
    If some day i break anything, i return to the old.
    Its my poor support for you.
    Are you tryed to see the content of your app? maybe deleting the last modify..
    Thanks everyone. Really appreciate that! I had hundreds of saved files that i archived but they all seemed corrupted. Thankfully it appears as though i've fixed it. Apparently it was one scene that was causing the problems. When i deleted it, GS suddenly worked fine again. Thanks again! :)
  • fogartyfogarty Member, PRO Posts: 181
    So glad to hear you found a solution!

Was there anything special about the bad scene? How did you figure out which one it was? Is there anything we should watch out for?
  • FirstDanFirstDan Member Posts: 208
    Make sure when you backup that they are compressed! In the past I have backed up my work and they became corrupt due to sync reasons etc( confusing)
    Make sure u compress as no other system process can alter them...
    @firstdan thank you! So I should make the older archived save files as a zip? Do i have to zip them individually or do you think i can just zip an entire backup folder worth of old saves? And @fogarty thanks for the concern!
    The way i was able to target the problem was that if i did work in any other scene and its attributes- it worked fine. Once i got back to the " corrupted" scene it went haywire. As for what the problem was... Hard to say. But it appears that there was conflicting code. For instance, it was the equivalent of having a boolean operation that said when TRUE turn something on. But in another area there was a line of code that said, when TRUE turn operation off. I'm simplifying here of course, but thats the gist. There was a lot of conflicting code i think, and I guess GS kinda blew up from that. So perhaps it was human error and not necessarily random corruption. That said i'm still surprised that GS itself became unstable because of it. I would have just assumed the game itself ( when playing it) would have crashed. So i guess the morale of the story is to backup as much as possible and zip the files as @firstdan mentioned.
    I'm happy to report that so far, all looks well. I've rebuilt the level with a whole new code design and its working flawless.
    As always, many many thanks to all of you and these forums. True game life savers!
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2012
    @anatomyofdreams

I'm still not convinced that a problem with your current working copy of your Gamesalad project can in any way effect archived (and previously working) versions . . . . I suspect the problem was more Gamesalad / system based . . . . but if you are going to zip your archive I'd do it on an individual project basis, otherwise zipping your entire archive will give you a single file that can be corrupted, lost or accidentally deleted all in one go.

Personally I just back up all my work to a local hard drive and off sight (I used to email the project to myself, but now I use dropbox).