GameSalad breaks on Android 4.2

2»

Comments

• MarcoColMarcoCol Member, PRO Posts: 279
    SSS: You mean Fix for GS or an fix for Android 4.2? I can confirm, that the games crashes too on 4.2.1...
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    @MarcoCol As I understand they will fix the GS servers to include a solution for the 4.2 problems, so that new published builds should support it.

• ThinkingGardenThinkingGarden Member Posts: 26
    @SaladStraightShooter Good to hear a fix is imminent because I am losing paying customers too :-(
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
  • Thanks for the fix, going to go try it now!
    Any chance we can get a quick description of what the issue was so I can report back to my co-workers?
  • Sounds great thank you. Strangely this coincided with our first tablet-sized android release so everyone was stumped on why it worked on Kindle but not on a Nexus 7.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    @SaladStraightShooter Awesome news, thanks for the quick resolution, much appreciated.
    Do we need to re-upload our builds and then publish or can we just re-publish our builds that are already uploaded to the web publishing service?

Cheers
  • MarcoColMarcoCol Member, PRO Posts: 279
    I can confirm, it worked now on my test system (Google-Nexus) with 4.2...
    @SaladStraightShooter I have now republished and uploaded the new version and I have had a review this morning saying it still does not work. Can one of your testing guys try it on a Nexus 7? It's killing my reviews!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kc8.ladkindle&feature=apps_topselling_paid#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLG51bGwsImNvbS5rYzgubGFka2luZGxlIl0.

I will reimburse the payment if needed.

If anyone could try and confirm I would hugely appreciate it as I have released the update saying it fixes the issue and according to the review today it does not and I look very silly due to this! If anyone can purchase and confirm, I will reimburse.

Thanks
  • PixelMetalPixelMetal Member Posts: 283
    edited December 2012
    @beefy_Clyro - you should be able to just republish using the existing build you have uploaded.
    Still having an issue as well. A lot of instances of text not appearing and what looks like some type of graphics corruption:

Simulator:

Galaxy Nexus Stock Android 4.2.1:

Simulator:

Galaxy Nexus Stock Android 4.2.1:

Testing this also made me notice text placement is also screwed up on older versions of Android. The two text lines in the top-left corner are displayed on two different actors located at the exact same x coordinates, of the same width, yet the text on the actor with the larger font is offset to the left by quite a bit.

Tranformer TF-101 4.0.3:

It offsets even MORE on Android 2.3.3 on an HTC EVO 4G, but I figure the point is made with the above screenshot.

And I have to say, a) being forced to keep those stock Android OS buttons on-screen and b) not being able to use them for anything but the frustration of users who accidentally touch them and get booted out of the app, which seems to restart from the beginning if the home button is bumped thus losing all player data because GS doesn't allow a save when one of those OS buttons is pressed, encourages the belief that a special kind of insanity I was previously sure was reserved for those poor characters in HP Lovecraft stories has affected the development team. Seriously, stay away from that multidimensional portal, guys.

It also ensures that it blurs pixel-perfect graphics formatted for the supposed resolution of the screen. Y'know, because people like feeling that they might need glasses. And since we can't check if those controls are on-screen or are hardware buttons, we can't really compensate for them in any way by resizing the app on-screen.

So, totally awesome. And by awesome I mean terrible.

Or, maybe awesome if you totally don't like nice things.
    @PixelMetal Any chance you could try out LAD on your Nexus? as I take it GS won't be around till Monday.

That's horrible to see all those problems on yours! Have you tried rebuilding and seeing if the same happens? Might get better results reuploading as a new project and republishing.
    edited December 2012
    @PixelMetal Any chance you could try out LAD on your Nexus? as I take it GS won't be around till Monday.
    Are there private messages on these boards so I can give you an email address to send to?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the link now. Will test and get back to you.

That's horrible to see all those problems on yours! Have you tried rebuilding and seeing if the same happens? Might get better results reuploading as a new project and republishing.
    I'll try starting a new project with it. I'd literally just made the .apk I was testing before that post so I'd imagine the updates should have affected the project in some positive way, but...nope.
    It crashes immediately after the loading screen. I don't think they've fixed what they think they've fixed.

It crashes immediately after the loading screen. I don't think they've fixed what they think they've fixed.

@PixelMetal Oh dear!!! I'm not happy about this! Thanks for confirming! Soo frustrating to be told this has fixed the problem when it really hasn't.
    @PixelMetal @beefy_clyro Have you tried to update the sdk to the latest version? I updated it before I republished my app and the problem was resolved.

@MarkOnTheIron .. No, I just used my already uploaded build and republished. Where do I upgrade the SDK from?
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @MarkOnTheIron - Can you remind me how to do that? I thought it auto updated?
    edited December 2012
    Go to the "SDK" folder, open the "tools" folder and then open the "android" file. It will open a Terminal windows and after some seconds it will automatically open the "Android SDK Manager". There you can see all the updates.

P.S. Some add ons require a valid login from the dev section of it's producer (like Motorola ones).

Thanks @MarkOntheIron I am updating all again now, will reupload and then publish again and see what happens .. fingers crossed
    @PixelMetal @MarkOnTheIron I have now updated my SDK, reuploaded and republished. LAD v1.3 is now active on Play, could you please try this version on your Nexus 7 and let me know if its playable? Thanks
    edited December 2012
    @PixelMetal @beefy_clyro Have you tried to update the sdk to the latest version? I updated it before I republished my app and the problem was resolved.
    Yes, I have the most recent SDK. Installed weeks ago when it was released.

@beefy_clyro: Same issue.

@PixelMetal I have no idea then as I have had an update to a review saying that it didnt work originally, my 1st update didnt work either but the latest, after updating SDK and uploading as a new project has worked on his Nexus 7.
  • DoguzDoguz Member Posts: 500
    The Android Viewer also needs updated or re-building as it crashes on 4.1 also.
    Testing on a Nexus 7.
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    edited January 2013
    So I have been playing with this having different results but here is what I have found.

1) If I create a brand new project using Gamesalad 0.10.1, then it will work on my Nexus 7 with no problems.

2) If I try to republish a project that was created with 0.10.0 and up, then it will work on my Nexus 7 with no problems.

3) If I try and republish a project that was originally created in (0.9.4), then it will not work correctly on my Nexus 7.

No matter what I try I cannot get old projects to work correctly if they were not originally created on 0.10.0 and up. Has anyone else had the same results?
    So I have been playing with this having different results but here is what I have found.

1) If I create a brand new project using Gamesalad 0.10.1, then it will work on my Nexus 7 with no problems.

2) If I try to republish a project that was created with 0.10.0 and up, then it will work on my Nexus 7 with no problems.

3) If I try and republish a project that was originally created in (0.9.4), then it will not work correctly on my Nexus 7.

No matter what I try I cannot get old projects to work correctly if they were not originally created on 0.10.0 and up. Has anyone else had the same results?
    Replace Nexus 7 with Galaxy Nexus and yes, same problem.

@SSS - Is this something that should be looked into?
    @wpaten - could you provide the link via PM of the older project you're encountering this issue with so QA can verify?
    Ok so this is interesting...

I was getting ready to submit my file for you guys to QA but I saw that the upload restriction was 25 megs. So I had to get rid of a good portion of my game and graphics to get it down below that number. But since I had changed it so much with deleting files and scenes, I wanted to try and reexport it 1 more time just to see what would happen.

And of course, it installed and opened up just fine this time on my Nexus 7 (Android version 4.2.1 installed).

Which now means that there is something wacky with my Original file that I will have to go scene by scene and see what it is that is not allowing it to be installed correctly.

Hopefully this helps some people out there, as I know I was getting frustrated by not knowing what the deal was.