Elite - best game of the 1980's to get 2014 Reboot

JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
edited November 2012 in Non-GS Game News
IMO one of the best games of the 1980's "Elite" is to get a reboot for 2014 by one of the original developers, David Braben.

For those of you who may be too young to know Elite was a 3D space trading sim that was groundbreaking in its day it was only 22k in size!!!

Quote: “Elite” has gone down in history as one of the most successful games of the 1980s. It was the first ‘open world’ game in which the player can freely roam a vast space. It was the first true 3D game too, and set many other benchmarks. Ian Bell and I set out to make a game for ourselves rather than for some imagined market. We were sick of games with three lives then a new life every 10,000 score; we wanted something new."

The project is being funded on kickstarter. More info here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

I have made my pledge, so please check this out.
JCFord

Comments

• JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    Elite Dangerous is now in its last 7 days of funding on Kickstarter, so far its raised over 1 Million UK pounds and there will be a Mac version if we can hit the magic 1.4Million. So please go and pledge.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Thank You
    JC Ford
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Awesome. I love space sims and economic trading games. I was a long time player of the X series of space games for PC. Can't wait to check this one out.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    Played Elite on my commodore 64 back in the day was a very fun game, buying and selling goods pick up some illegal drugs run from the space police and pirates all in glorious 3d vector graphics and this version looks awesome.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Played it in the mid 80s on my uncles bbc micro so looking forward to this.

Darren.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    You know what? I have never played Elite! Odd, seeing as I am such a massive C64 fan! I might have to check it out. Reboot sounds awesome!!!!