How do I easily preview OGG files on OSX Lion?

HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
edited September 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Does anyone have a way to easily preview OGG files in OSX Lion?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to just highlight the file in Finder, and press Space Bar to preview the sound, as you would with a WAV or an MP3.

Is there an OGG file format codec I can install for OSX Lion that will let me do this?

Failing that, what is a good OGG player that's really fast and easy to load, and preview OGG files in?

Cheers!

- Muz

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited September 2012
    Let me re-phrase the question, friend.

Has anyone been able to set up their Mac so they can press SPACE BAR and simply hear the OGG file through the build in Preview system?

I can't, and I can't find any useful answers on Google.

Seeing as Game Salad works best if you feed it OGG files, and yet they are quite hard to preview on OSX Lion, I thought someone HERE ON THESE FORUMS may have found an elegant solution to the problem.

What do you do @uptimistik, seeing you're so helpful.

My guess would be that you don't have a solution.

- Muz
    With moderators like this, who needs trolls?
    Thanks. :)
    I did discover that if you install ZiphQT, and then set iTunes to "Open in 32 bit mode", it can play OGGs, which is kind of handy. Although a purpose built player would probably be more streamlined than iTunes. Shame you can't just preview them by hitting space bar. Oh well, cheers.
    And they do play in VLC now as well, which is good, because it has a nice compact playlist view, and the playlists are just temporary. Better than messing up your iTunes library. :)
    Sorry for multiple posts, just reporting my findings.

Installing VLC and ZiphQT is a good combination. Then just set all OGG files to open in VLC, and you can double click them to hear them once. Fast and easy. I'm happy!

NOTE: For anyone who doesn't know, to set a whole file extension to open in a specific program, click on one of the files (.ogg for example), Right Click and do Get Info, in the info box there's a section called Open With, select VLC (for example), and click Change All, this will set all .ogg files to open with VLC.

- Muz

Ahhh, well, that being said, the problem is that VLC snips off a tiny bit of the start and end when playing it back. So very short sounds don't register at all. Lame.

Anyone got a favorite player for listening to short OGG sound fx, comparing sounds, etc? This sort of activity requires a special sort of player that quickly lets you play back different sounds, to compare and contrast them, etc.
  • bicorniclopsebicorniclopse Member Posts: 1

11 years later and I have this same issue. Just the simple spacebar to preview ogg. Did you happen to ever figure it out? The quickest way for me at the moment is to open it in a browser

• uptimistikuptimistik Key Master, Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 291

Audacity works well

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com