Is it worth it??

rajlaim2rajlaim2 Member Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
Does anyone know if there is a place to get some stats on how successful apps are? or what have been your experiences? Do you make your money back even with bad apps? is it really a money maker?

Best Answer

Answers

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    edited July 2012
    @rajlaim2

The AppStore is no shortcut to money my friend. It takes hard work, dedication, and a good app to just make a few dollars. If your looking for fast money, your at the wrong place. I wish I could tell you differently buddy..

Cheers
    Max
    100% true

You can make your money back 1000 times over. but you also can make $0

Its all up to the effort you put in and even then, Theres no guarantees.
  • rajlaim2rajlaim2 Member Posts: 4
    I agree effort must be put in. but from your experience do you usually make money? I am just trying to understand if its worth putting the time and effort
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    I agree effort must be put in. but from your experience do you usually make money? I am just trying to understand if its worth putting the time and effort
    No one will decide for you. It's up to you to make that decision. Most of us are here for fun, not for the money - guess we have a different priorities. Sure money are important, and cool, and useful, and blablablabla, etc. But this is just a nice addition to fun! :)
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Like others have already said.
    You can totally make money, IF you put in the time and effort to make it happen.

Also, there WILL be times, when you feel you have given your all, and an app still flops. But in general, I would say, if you are doing it to make some money, AND you are willing to treat it like a business, put in the serious effort, time and money that it requires to make things happen, then it might be ok for you.

If you think you can knock up a couple of games quick and the money will roll in.....you will be disappointed for sure.

We have some apps that make money for us...and others that don't. The ones that make money, generally have been the ones that were not as fun to make, but also had far more energy put into them at times.

But it's like most things in life.. you get out of it what you put into it.
  • maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    No one will decide for you. It's up to you to make that decision. Most of us are here for fun, not for the money - guess we have a different priorities. Sure money are important, and cool, and useful, and blablablabla, etc. But this is just a nice addition to fun! :)
    I 100% agree with you on this buddy.

Cheers
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

@VentoraStudios

Ditto, Max... (about the 100% agreement with @TheMoonwalls @Sparkyidr @tenrdrmer )

Sums it up, really, @rajlaim2 .

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    I think it needs to be a passion - if you throw something together really quick without any passion, will that get you anywhere?

You have to make a game because it's what you love to do. Then, things will flow on their own. :)

Just my two cents.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    It will cost you more than you think and you will make less than you expect. If you understand these facts and still want to do it, you are in the right place.

The answer to your "is its worth it" question the answer is simple:
    1. If by 'worth' you mean $$$ -> in 99.99% of the cases, NO
    2. If by 'worth' you mean FUN -> in 100% of the cases, YES
  • maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    It will cost you more than you think and you will make less than you expect. If you understand these facts and still want to do it, you are in the right place.

The answer to your "is its worth it" question the answer is simple:
    1. If by 'worth' you mean $$$ -> in 99.99% of the cases, NO
    2. If by 'worth' you mean FUN -> in 100% of the cases, YES
    Yes I 100% with this too. If you do decide to do a game, you will have one of the most fun times of your life. Its a great experience and the outcome is worth every penny in my opinion.

-Max
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246

Yes I 100% with this too. If you do decide to do a game, you will have one of the most fun times of your life. Its a great experience and the outcome is worth every penny in my opinion.
    Even if it is actually a penny ;)
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited July 2012
    Most of us are here for fun, not for the money
    I could be facetious and say "Making money is fun", but I won't.

I am one of those here for the money. The fun is a bonus.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I think it needs to be a passion - if you throw something together really quick without any passion, will that get you anywhere?

You have to make a game because it's what you love to do. Then, things will flow on their own. :)

Just my two cents.
    Sheepy hugs incoming to you, sir!

Creating something without a soul is pretty damn worthless in my opinion, no matter how 'successful' it might be.

Do you want to be Jimi Hendrix? Or do you want to be The New Kids on the Block?

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• SteakSauceSteakSauce Member Posts: 29
    well creating apps is fun, yeah, but spending a lot of time on an app and getting little purchases isn't fun. People like seeing their app get successful
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

Just my two cents.
    Sheepy hugs incoming to you, sir!

Creating something without a soul is pretty damn worthless in my opinion, no matter how 'successful' it might be.

Do you want to be Jimi Hendrix? Or do you want to be The New Kids on the Block?

QS :D
    Wow! Now I can say I've been hugged by a sheep....I'll check that off my life's goals. ;)
  • NmdogdudeNmdogdude Member Posts: 174
    I've seen apps that get thousands of downloads in a week (ie: Angry Birds, etc.), and others that get a thousand over a few years. For every quality app, there are 10 others who are there to get a quick buck.
    But, to answer your question:
    It's 'worth it' to see something you made on the app store and go up to your friends and say 'I MADE THIS!!!". (Maybe that's why I keep getting unfriended :P )

Just my 2cents
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    Also, some apps that deserve to be top 10 only make a few bucks, while some not so awesome apps go top ten. If you are looking for big bucks, look elsewhere. Mainly a hobby, and you might make a few bucks along the way.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    If it makes a million is it worth it? Hell yeah!

If it makes nothing is it worth it? Hell yeah!

Ace