The Official GameSalad Manual Now Available!

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited June 2012 in News from the Dev Team

Hello everyone!

OK, so maybe a sword isn't necessary. How about a book instead?

After weeks and months of hard work, our top-notch support team has just completed our Official GameSalad Manual. This manual is to help you get started with making your games,  and introduces most of the basics. This will provide you with an overview of the layout and concepts used in GameSalad Creator.

We've even got separate versions for Mac and Windows users!

Download the Official GameSalad Manual:

Comments

• KrisKris Member Posts: 20
    Excellent! Good work, guys!

Talk about good timing. I only started using GS day before yesterday...:)
  • DanDaMan123DanDaMan123 Member Posts: 216
    Awesome! Thanks a ton guys
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    Much needed! Great job.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited June 2012
    Hey! Congratulations!

I looked it over and wondered if it rendered my book obsolete. It doesn't seem so. This is a manual. It's different. It's lighter reading. There's a nice definition section. The manual is linear, which is a good way to learn the software. The layout is clean. Plus, it's a PDF. That's useful for Windows developers without an iOS device to view the app.

Nice work!

Although, what's with the crazy long download URLs?
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Oh Yeah!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Very nice. Glad to see you guys getting this out. I know many people have been wanting something like this. Especially the new windows users.
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    Very nice Manual :) great work. Now i'm understand that with the image-sizes:

"Essentially, iOS will automatically scale your images to the nearest of a set of pixel ratios:
    16x16
    32x32
    64x64
    128x128
    256x256
    512x512
    1028x1028
    For instance, if your image is 50x30 pixels, it will take up the same memory as a 64x64 image.
    Any images with a size over 1028 pixels will automatically be scaled down to 1028. As a
    result, if you have an image that is 130x20 pixels, you may wish to scale the one side down by
    2 pixels, or it could take as much as 256x256."

Thank you
    ---
    Benjamin
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    This is very nice! It would definitely be useful for beginners.
    Hey! Congratulations!

I looked it over and wondered if it rendered my book obsolete. It doesn't seem so. This is a manual. It's different. It's lighter reading. There's a nice definition section. The manual linear, which is a good way to learn the software. The layout is clean. Plus, it's a PDF. That's useful for Windows developer without an iOS device to view the app.

Nice work!

Although, what's with the crazy long download URLs?
    @Photics
    Don't worry, I still plan on using your guide. As you said, this is lighter reading and it doesn't seem to include as many advanced techniques.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    After weeks and months of hard work, our top-notch support team has just completed our Official GameSalad Manual.
    The mac version is the same as the one you released on march that contains informations only up to version .91: http://gamesalad.com/blog/gamesalad-manual-now-available

It's good to see a Windows version tough. :)

• carlblanchetcarlblanchet Member Posts: 755
    Fantastic! This will be very useful! :D
    Thanks!!
  • SaladPuckSaladPuck Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1
    Hey folks,

First, thank you all for the positive feedback! It’s been a long-standing goal of ours to provide our users with more in-depth information on the ins and outs of the GameSalad Creator, and this Manual is another step in that direction.

Over the next several weeks and months, our Customer Support and Education teams will be reviewing what’s currently available in terms of instructional resources and also considering what else we’d like to tackle in terms of arming our developers with a deeper understanding of Creator.

Any feedback, comments, or suggestions you have are more than welcome and will be read by me (aka Puck, aka Jack Reed) and the rest of the team. As always, the best way to get a hold of us is through the Contact Support form.

Also, if you guys spot any typos or factual errors, we’re always grateful for the corrections we receive.

Thanks again everyone and best of luck with your projects!

SaladPuck
    Technical Customer Support
  • patapplepatapple Member Posts: 873
    Thank you guys!! Only one note:
    "Essentially, iOS will automatically scale your images to the nearest of a set of pixel ratios:
    16x16 32x32 64x64 128x128 256x256 512x512 1028x1028"

Should be 1024x1024 instead of 1028x1028, or?
  • mithraweptmithrawept Member, PRO Posts: 167
    A very useful reference tool.

It compliments Photics' manual, the difference between what and why.
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    Great job! Now you've got the basic manual out, how about an intermediate/advanced manual - targeting e.g. more formula related stuff or common things to do e.g. magnitude, orbiting, vector to angle etc etc. I'm sure documentation on some of these things would be a great help to the community and reduce repetitive threads asking the same thing
  • fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309
    Looks cool i will look it over.
  • J_PANJ_PAN Member Posts: 140
    maybe include some in-direction turtorials?
  • JoeMeisterJoeMeister Member Posts: 602
    Wunderbar. Habt Ihr wirklich gut gemacht.
  • cyberghostcyberghost Member Posts: 17
    hi guys.. you might like this also. http://www.wowebook.be/book/gamesalad-beginners-guide/
  • GLGAMESGLGAMES SingaporeMember Posts: 988
    Definitely good stuff for reference even for not so new users .
  • crazycam99crazycam99 Paris, FranceMember Posts: 519
    Excellent! Great job guys
  • WildSnakeWildSnake Member Posts: 19
    Excellent job!

But am I wrong or both online help and manual miss simple but important section like "Operators" where I can read how to divide by modulo, concat two strings, etc.
    Should be not too hard to add but very useful for beginners like me.