Are there any video tutorials for the Windows GS?

WarrenWWarrenW Member Posts: 22
edited June 2012 in Working with GS (PC)
Hi everyone,

I am new to GS and will be downloading it tonight to try out. I've been using some other apps for writing apps for iphone and droids but this looks much better. Are there any video tutorials for the Windows version of GS for newbies? Or are the ones for the mac GS version applicable to learn from? I basically want to learn how to:

* Add a background image
* Add actors with different frames to switch between
* Have an actor throw an object
* Collision of object with another actor or object
* Scroll the background as object moves through air

Thanks!

Warren

Best Answers

Comments

• mnaseertariqmnaseertariq Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2012
    Hi

i am new here learning GS with videos and other links,but facing a problem i have window version but i have seen all videos and all help regarding the MAC Version.so plz tell me is there any help for window version
    Thanks for your reply will see if there is any video regarding Windows version Interface help
    what do you need help with, as i might be able to assist you.
    Any video or link where can i see Windows Interface help
    Thanks for your reply will see if there is any video regarding Windows version Interface help
    hey there.

I can totally understand the frustration.
    The problem is they have said that the windows version will change.
    So to invest time in making videos that may not reflect the windows creator in a few months is just not something most of use are willing to do right now.

Ill see if i can do a few basic videos though.

cheers
  • WarrenWWarrenW Member Posts: 22
    Great! Thanks! I'll be watching a lot of videos tonight...

One other question... I know I need to jump in to see what all I can do but will GS allow you to knock objects over like in angry birds without doing the coding for it? For example, if I have some blocks stacked on each other, I assume I need to add some sort of attribute for collision but is there some action for them to fall down and act on their own with gravity and everything?

Thanks again,

Warren
  • jn2002dkjn2002dk Member Posts: 102
    Great! Thanks! I'll be watching a lot of videos tonight...

One other question... I know I need to jump in to see what all I can do but will GS allow you to knock objects over like in angry birds without doing the coding for it? For example, if I have some blocks stacked on each other, I assume I need to add some sort of attribute for collision but is there some action for them to fall down and act on their own with gravity and everything?

Thanks again,

Warren
    Yup, there are physics attributes you can tweak for both the scene and the actors you have in it:)

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed GS for Windows and thank goodness I did not get any problems or errors like others! Anyways, I have watched some videos on YouTube and they are completely different from my interface. I don't have the templates or know how to get to them. And everything is different. So for a newbie this is VERY hard to learn!

Warren
    I would like to see a video also to get started. This is useless to me. I watched some videos by tshirtbooth and they were good but for mac users.

Someone suggested I install Virtual Box and put mac os on it so I can run the mac version. Will this work in Virtual Box on my windows 7 machine?

Thanks
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Merged.
    Also be sure to check this stuff out. its not Videos but im sure it helps a little

http://cookbook.gamesalad.com/tutorials/7
    As i said in another post, I found out www.macincloud has GS installed on their macs. So I may rent a mac for a month ($20) to try GS out and see how it works for me. If all goes well than I'll buy a mac for myself. I have NEVER used a mac in my life so this will all be new to me. The closest I've come to a mac is I bought an Apple II computer system at a garage sale 2 years ago for $5 and never turned it on! :)

Warren
  • lanmindlanmind Member Posts: 29
    @WarrenW A good way to start learning is to go through the "Getting Started" and "Making it Better" tutorials in the Gamesalad Cookbook. Also review all of the terms in the cookbook's dictionary.

Taking those three steps should give you a concrete idea on where to start and what's actually going on in the video tutorials. I've never used a Mac in my life but I can watch those videos and apply them to my a project in the Windows Beta.

Another tip I'd give you is if you really want to get an even more thorough understanding of what's going on, you should try learning some scripting language. They will cover some terms and statements you might not be familiar with in Gamesalad. Such as the "if" & "else" statements you see in the various rules & video tutorials.

Plus it would give you a better understanding of how things are put together in the expression editor and functions. I myself recommend JavaScript which you can find excellent free tutorials at w3schools.com here:

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

• diverdowndesignsdiverdowndesigns Member Posts: 25
    @tshirtbooth just made a video comparing the Mac Creator to Windows. Here is a link to the video: http://gshelper.com/windows-gamesalad-creator-training-videos/
    Thanks for the replies! I will take a look at the video and getting started links tonight. I'm a software developer but for .NET although I've done some javascript and used another program to write iphone games in C++ so learning this scripting language won't be hard for me. I think I just need to learn the terms first and then figure out where to go on the main screen to get started.

I think a Starter's Tutorial in Windows version showing how to add a background, add an actor, move the actor, set attributes for things to happen would be a great starter for anyone. If I learn enough I'll contribute to this!

Warren
    I just watched the video showing the difference between the mac and windows version and how to do a few basic things. It was awesome! I can't wait to get home and try some out. I still would like to see a demo of how to throw something or use a sling shot like in the other games on here. If anyone has any input on that, it would be appreciated!

Warren
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    @WarrenW - Welcome to the GameSalad community!

@Everyone- Thank you for showcasing that makes our community so great. SUCH a huge willingness to help and facilitate the growth of new GameSalad developers. You guys are AWESOME.