sound file settings and android - crashing

rickdalrickdal Member Posts: 30
edited June 2012 in Tech Support
Hi,

I have noticed with a game that I am working on that trying to play certain sound fx via "play sound" causes the android version of the game to crash. Is there known sound file settings that causes this to happen? I have no problem on IOS versions of the game. If I remove the play sound commands from various scenes in my game I can get the android version to run.

Answers

• rickdalrickdal Member Posts: 30
    by the way, it would be great to have an assert of some type that came up when the game crashes. It took me a VERY long time figuring out that playing certain sounds were crashing the game.
  • deadlightsdeadlights Member, PRO Posts: 235
    Hi there,
    As far as I know there are sound issues with GS and Android. I have the same issue and try to keep my sound files very small and very short (it helps a little). Have you tried submitting a bug report?
  • rickdalrickdal Member Posts: 30
    so i am not sure if this is the reason, but i opened each "bad" soundfile in audacity and they all were 44khz.. exported them as 22khz and that seemed to fix the problem. i dont think file sizes were an issue since some of the "bad" files were only 7k... has anyone else verified this?
  • TitamTitam Member Posts: 20
    so i am not sure if this is the reason, but i opened each "bad" soundfile in audacity and they all were 44khz.. exported them as 22khz and that seemed to fix the problem.
    Someone else tried to export sound in 22khz to check if it works better ?
  • greenrhynogreenrhyno Member, PRO Posts: 152
    edited October 2012
    I know that this post was quite a while ago, but it REALLY helped me out with some crashes I was having. I can confirm that for one of my apps, a .ogg file at 41khz was causing crashes. It would crash any scene in which it was included in a rule. When I turned off that particular rule, the app worked fine on android devices. I used audacity and converted the file to 22khz and put that sound file into the project and rules and now it doesn't crash on android devices!

I will be trying to get another app to work on android. I had given up on it for mystery crashes, but now I will see if there is/are some sound files that are causing that app to crash.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! for sharing this information, the crashes on android were driving me crazy!

Oh, and it isn't the size of the sound file as this file is .140 seconds long and the conversion took it from 7 KB to 5 KB. There are much larger sound files in the apps and scenes that don't cause any problems or crashes.