Actors Stutter Badly on Move, No Constrains

EOSEOS Member Posts: 74
edited May 2012 in Tech Support
I apologize if this is already answered somewhere but I scoured the forums and couldn't find anything.

I published an iPhone game last September that involved actors "falling" down the screen. The actors would stutter a little but it wasn't really that noticeable. I've recently gotten back into Gamesalad and wanted to make a sequel to that game using a similar "falling actor" mechanic. The problem is that the actors stutter horribly now - not sure if it's due to one of the updates since September. There are no constrains on the actors as I tested it with just 1 actor with the 'move' behaviour, direction set at 270 and speed to 60 and it still stutters (also stutters using interpolate, accelerate, or just setting the linear velocity). Everything looks fine in preview mode, but when I test it on the game salad viewer the stuttering starts.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Best Answer

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Posts: 5,692
    Accepted Answer
    Good news its perfect on the device but a strange issue indeed.

Daz.

Answers

• EOSEOS Member Posts: 74
    Hi tshirtbooth, thanks for replying so quickly.

There is actually no spawner, I placed the actors directly on the scene. When there are multiple copies of the same actor they seem to to stutter in sync. Couldn't quite tell if they stuttered in sync when I changed the direction of some of the actors to 0 instead of 270. In any case, they still stutter when moving horizontally rather than vertically.
    Right now, just 2 - one actor moving vertical the other going horizontal. No stuttering in preview mode, just when testing on the viewer on either my iPad (3) or iPhone (4s). Possibly a viewer problem? Instead of my new game I opened up my published game in gamesalad and played it through the viewer and the stuttering was horrible - when I play the published version of the same game on the same phone there is very little stuttering.
    So it looks like it might be a viewer issue. Just made an adhoc version of the app and it runs perfect, no stuttering just like preview mode. I'll have to keep that in mind through the rest of development.

Thanks for helping me look into it tshirtbooth.