Problem adding a device to xcode for GS viewer

RedCatRedCat Member Posts: 26
edited April 2012 in Tech Support
Hi All,

I've gone through tshirtbooth's videos on creating the certificates and all for using the viewer with no issue what-so-ever until it came to the point at 3:45 on this tutorial

When I double click the .mobileprovision xcode opens up, but the organizer doesn't. and if I manually open it there is no device.

I've managed to get xcode 3.2.6 installed on Snow Leopard! thanks to this link which highlights an issue with the Snow Leopard software update: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57400956-263/apple-issues-software-installe r-update/

sadly this hasn't helped...

Fresh Snow leopard 10.6.8 install (only have an old macbook)
Fresh Update of xcode to 3.2.6
All steps of tutorial followed exactly
have an Apple developer account and all certificates and keychains created

Totally stumped by xcode.

anyone encountered a similar issue?

Answers

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    A stupid question: is your device connected to your computer with a usb cable?

Another problem might be that your Xcode is a little old. Try to upgrade to the latest version that is 4.3.2

• heathccheathcc Member Posts: 113
    Leveraging the GS Viewer is a great tool.

However, it has been a challenge for me to get working from version to version and I recently just started creating true Ad-hoc builds in GS and then distributing to my devices via Testflight.com which is a free and easy service.

I mention it because for some people like myself, solving issues with the Viewer (specifically: stopping after compressing assets/loading screen) wasn't really needed as long as I can make an ad-hoc build and install it easily without messing with a device synch.

• deadlightsdeadlights Member, PRO Posts: 235
    MarktheIron is right - if you don't have the device connected, XCode will act weird with the certificates.
  • RedCatRedCat Member Posts: 26
    The device is connected via USB =)

@heathcc - I've used Testflight before, it's fairly simple, maybe i'll just do that.

would like to know what's going on with xcode though, having spent so long getting it installed and partially working
    edited April 2012
    As I said try to update Xcode to latest version (4.3.2) and see if the problem persist.

Can't, I'm on Snow Leopard.

Just tried the "publish" route to make an IPA that way and use Testflight and GS is telling me I don't have the latest iPhone SDK installed...

Is this any different from the xcode SDK, or am I now totally stuck unless I get a new mac with Lion and xcode 4.3!!

https://developer.apple.com/

Here you can download Xcode 4.2 that is the latest version to run on Snow Leopard and is compatible with iOS 5

Thanks, I'll give 4.2 install another try. wasn't working before, but may have been due to the Snow Leopard software update issue I've now patched for.
  • MazeCrazeGameMazeCrazeGame Member Posts: 56
    I keep getting the same problem.
    OS X 10.6.8
    Xcode 4.2
    Cell is plugged in.

Organizer window says that my phone is running 5.1, BUT Xcode supports iOS Versions 4.2, 4.3 5.0 (9A334), and Latest (yeah right). Latest not being 5.1!

Will this keep me from publishing my app correctly to the app store?
    I just tested my app using Ad hoc. It works. Does that mean I can still publish my game without issues to Apple without using GS viewer/iOS 5.1 and Xcode 4.3? This is a warped joke.
  • MazeCrazeGameMazeCrazeGame Member Posts: 56
    Is the Organizer window for Testing purposes only using GS Viewer on the latest iOS SDK?

I'm hoping I can still publish my game successfully.