How to make and object jump?

worstwebworstweb Member Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Tech Support
Hello everyone,
I want to create a platform-style game but I don't know how to make and object jump. Can you help me?

Comments

• SimtasticSimtastic Member Posts: 18
    I think there is an example in game salad's games "Platformer Template" if i'm correct.. looks like tall blue smurf in a dungeon, that's where i learned how to jump mine character.. although i do have problems with changing image to jumping when he jumps.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Several ways to do it. My usual way is to have a rules that basically says - When key.spacebar is pressed-Change attribute.linear velocity Y to linear velocity Y + 300. (or any number that suits your needs)

That takes your current position onscreen, no matter where, and adds a 300 pixel "lift" every time you press the spacebar. Can be adapted to any other key or onscreen button. But, you can launch offscreen if you keep pressing it unless you have a boolean attribute that keeps it from being activated multiple times when you hit the spacebar while it is in the air, and not touching the ground.
  • aspiringgamemakeraspiringgamemaker Member Posts: 20

How would you set up that Boolean?

• aspiringgamemakeraspiringgamemaker Member Posts: 20

http://www.jamie-cross.net/?portfolio=gamesalad-recipe-004-advanced-platform-character-movement-featuring-double-jumping

This is one of the best tutorials I have seen on how to do this, move and jump and such. Hope it helps.