Sound/memory issues - has something changed in recent builds?

HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
edited February 2012 in Tech Support
When testing on the viewer: GS 0.9.9.1
Something seems to be different with how sounds are stored to memory.

I used to be able to play all sounds silently at the start of the scene. And this would load them into memory. Which means that I didn't get a drop in FPS as they are triggered for the first time in-game.

But now that isn't reliable. Sometimes the sounds will load in and it's fine. But sometimes they will display as being loaded in from the figures in the viewer. But then I still get the drop in fps when a sound is triggered for the first time in-game.

Actually I don't know what to make of the viewer figures for sounds. They seem pretty strange and would indicate that sounds are sometimes being loaded in twice? i.e double RAM usage. And sometimes not clearing when on a scene which has no sounds being triggered.

Anyone have similar issues or know any workarounds? Putting the silent sounds inside a timer at the start of the scene doesn't seem to help either.

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    I'd like to know more about how the sounds are moved in and out of memory too.

Is the Sound memory limited to 3.6mb? Mine seems to cap out at that. But maybe that's just how large all of my sounds are in total...

I was under the impression that ALL memory on the iOS devices is shared between everything though?

- Murray