• TOTB4 • Contest Final Entries Thread • Contest ends 12pm GMT 31st January...

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited January 2012 in Conferences and Events
• TOTB4 • Finish Entries Thread • Contest ends 12pm GMT 31st January...

Setting this thread up for all the competitors to post their entries to.

What you need to post as your entry:
• Youtube link to a video walkthrough of your game.
• 200 words (or less) on why your game is 'Outside the box'.
• (Optional) A GameSalad Arcade playable version.
• Send email me to jon@stormystudio.com with your entry as well. (So I know you got your submission in on time).

You can check the GMT time using the little clock on the official contest webpage...as well as prize list, rules and more...

Official website
http://www.stormystudio.com/totb4.html

Main TOTB4 Forum Discussion Thread
http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/37401/totb4-main-official-thread-theme-announced-happy-new-year#Item_42

* The judges will have two weeks after the deadline to send in the scores for all the entries. I'll then put them all together and announce the winners.

Please save comments on videos till after the deadline if possible to keep it all nice and tidy....cheers...

Edit - Some impressive work already posted....

Comments

• mm34125mm34125 Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2012
    Hey guys,

I have finished and here's my contest entry. In the last few days I've added lots of sound effects and made eight levels. I will continue working on this project and hope you like the idea.

Why is my game "outside the box"? Underground Rescue Team is unconventional, because players have to use their memory in order to win the game. At the beginning of each level the player gets a short glimpse of the underground. From then onwards, the exact memory of the level structure is more important than the happenings on the screen. In a time where most designers try to create graphically impressive games, it is unusual to see a game that focuses on what players cannot see. According to psychologists, the human working memory can hold about 4 - 7 pieces of information at the same time. With Underground Rescue Team, you can put your working memory capacity to the test. :)

Software used (apart from GS):
    -Graphics: Inkscape
    -Sounds: All vocal samples were recorded with the built-in MacBook microphone and GarageBand. All music tracks and sound effects were created in Cubase SX3 using Atmosphere, Hypersonic 2, Nexus 2, and Symphobia as virtual instruments.

Good luck to all the contestants - some of your games are simply outstanding!

Marc
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    edited January 2012
    Hi all,

At last I've finished my project. (Can't call it a 'game' really, more like a story book meets adventure type of thing) I haven't slept for about 40 hours. I even noticed 2 bugs that would make the game non-playable when recording a video for YouTube. My expectations were super high about this than what I have now in hand because of the little amount of time I had to work on this..

Why my game is out of the box?

Well... This game was first for me at a lot of things. I used the parallax scrolling for the first time and came up with a unique method. I used a unique method on music and made it kind of 'dynamic', it shapes with the speed of the player. I used a theme and story where you travel back in time to the starting event and see what is the reason behind all the things you do from the beginning. (watch the video to better understand). I used a lot, I mean a LOT of animations to make everything more visually appealing and fun. I even added few 'idling' animations. And also used the black and white theme, dynamically. You can get multiple achievements/items during the gameplay but I didn't have enough time to show overall score/achievements/items when the game ends. Also couldn't do a menu. But if you play it I think you'll agree with me that those are not necessary to have fun with this amazing story. I planned multiple endings, made the graphics-sound effects but failed to implement them because of the time. So you're stuck with 1 ending. You try to get 'love' points in-game but can't actually see what adds how many to love and what number you have when the game ends. I'm really sorry for not completing the game but I really hope everyone here and the judges can see what potential this game has..

I played all the songs, but one of them is from Chopin. I had a little discussion about playing non-copyrighted songs myself and than using them in game and we decided it was best to not use them as they are. But I failed to keep my promise and used a Chopin.. I hope it is not a big problem. It is only in 1 scene.

To sum up, it has a lot of unique aspect that has never been done before, that is hard as hell to do on coding side and hard as hell to do on the 'work' side.

P.S : On the video I'm not interacting with anything, not doing any missions. Just running. There is much more in game.
    Video:
    ATTENTION: If you don't want to see how it ends please don't watch after 6:13. Spoiler alert! :D

GameSalad Arcade: (This game runs so much more smoothly on GS Viewer. Either there is somthing wrong with my browser or HTML5. And the colors are all wrong...)

P.S : Be informed. The first loading is the longest loading in the game. It really takes up a lot of time. My biggest mistake to make first loading damn long.

• ccpccp Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2012
    Here is my submission for the TOTB4 Contest. It is outside the box, because it contains mainly letters and rectangles.

Aliens [Terminated]:

In a square village of squares, October 31, 2012, the first Alien ship was spotted. They invaded the world, as we once knew it, and imprisoned all the squares ... All that is, except one. You have escaped their deadly forces and have created a deadly gun that will terminate the aliens. The squares are counting on you to save them. Earn coins by completing missions, and use these to upgrade your rank. As the Terminator and as the last free square this task lies on you: Terminate the Aliens.

Instructions:
    Tap the left side of the screen to jump, and the right side to shoot. Earn coins by collecting them and completing missions. Use these to upgrade your rank. You must earn the rank, Terminator, to truly terminate these aliens.

Here are some images:

Good Luck to everyone!
    CCP
  • GnomerGnomer Member Posts: 292
    Major panic... but is 12pm mid day or midnight!?!
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    it mid day... glad you brought it up. I was think midnight but I checked on the totb section of Stormy's site
  • GnomerGnomer Member Posts: 292
    edited January 2012
    My TOTB4 entry: Void Runner.

So it's the end of the earth... or it was, now all that seems just a distant memory. All that remains now is you, now occupying a spirit after leaving what remained of your body on the crumbling remnants that endured the fatal destruction of planet earth.

Now in a dark twisted place that remained dormant for many years, you must take a desperate journey in order for you to end your life... but first, it seems you must survive. Spin, shrink, roll and jump your way to the light at the end of the tunnel and maybe, just maybe your suffering may at last come to end...

Can you run the void?

Features:

--| Unique style tutorial for help on gameplay
    --| Multiple combinations of jumping and shrinking leading to different effects.
    --| Addictive gameplay style that gives you a desire to beat your previous high score.
    --| Game intensifying music.
    --| Option for left or right handers.

Yet to add:

--| Make higher quality graphics
    --| Make expansion levels
    --| Add missions.

I think it is outside the box because it is based in the void, an empty place in space where some theorize we all go to die. I also believe that the multitouch controls along with an engaging and tension building soundtrack really make the game a unique and fun experience.

Gameplay video:

• mrglocklingmrglockling Member Posts: 258
    edited January 2012
    Well here it is

My Youtube link

Sorry there is no audio in the video. I do have audio in the game but my stupid computer which probably has viruses lags and sucks so I'll have to take it to the shop or something. Thats my excuse.

And My Gamesalad Link

http://www.gamesalad.com/play/63683

Why this game is Outside the Box?
    While this type of arcade game is very prominent and well known I think this one stands out. Why? Because it features little goodies all around the place like launching a spaceship in the main menu by clicking the moving stars background. Or just even the fact you can choose your difficulty and even go into the in-game store!! It also features a cute little earth with a rainbow!! who doesnt like rainbows?

Insturctions: Use WASD or up,down,right, and left arrow keys to steer the earth from total annihilation. To access the in-game store press L or click the icon. To pause use P or click the icon. HAVE FUN!!!!

===================================================================================================================

If anyone can beat my highest score of 11,300 in extreme mode post it!

-Max
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    edited January 2012
    Creatures of The Light
    TOTB4 entry
    By sciTunes

Why Creatures of The Light is an Outside The Box game:

1) Game Mechanic / control system - Many of the most popular iOS games, including most of my favorite titles, use a control system in which the player interacts directly with the game using simple and intuitive controls rather than an artificial intermediary such as a d-pad. My goal was to create a platformer that uses a flick/swipe mechanic to control the hero AND the hero's weapon. While the HTML5 method that uses the spacebar is not quite as intuitive as I would like the system works flawlessly on a touch screen device. No other game that I have ever played uses a system like this.

2) Weapon system - The light that floats above the creature is controlled by a very intuitive swipe system and is used for a number of different tasks. The light controls the camer so it can be used to explore the scene before moving the creature into potential danger. It is also used to complete the main objective of illuminating all the crystals and it is the weapon to destroy the evil stone monsters.

3) Crystals - the crystal system is a unique way of challenging the player. The crystals may be hidden behind breakable rocks, in areas that can only be seen by using your light, or may be guarded by evil stone monsters. Each time a crystal is illuminated the darkness recedes, making it a little bit easier to find your way through the level, When all crystals are filled a very cool beam of light effect illuminates the path you must take to reach the next level.

I have worked very hard on this game and I hope you all enjoy!

HTML5 Version

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE PLAYING!!!!!

1) This game was designed for a touch screen and I did everything possible to adapt it to HTML5. Here is the biggest problem that only happens on HTML5 (not on touch devices) - when the mouse leaves the game area the game does not detect the mouse position nor does it detected a mouse click or a mouse release. This is especially unfortunate for a swipe control system like this one. If the end of your swipe takes you outside of the game area the game will not know that you have released the mouse button. Trackpad is not recommended!

2) This is NOT the complete game! This is a sampling of the main game elements. Basically I took the tutorial scenes that will introduce new game elements and I made a 6 level game. The idea was to let the judges and anyone else who is interested to experience the main game elements. To get the full game experience you'll need to buy it once it is released for iOS! :)

Enjoy!

edited January 2012
    Don't poke the Moon
    TOTB4 entry
    by Old Kipper

just to explain what's happening... The controls are being use to add water to the world, space debris is adding minerals, the wind is mixing in the minerals, electricity and 'LOVE' are combining to make life and then life evolves. The point is to avoid wiping things out and move things along.

This is done in the last 6 days. It not finished so the title remains cryptic . Why is it out of the box? Its a sim of sorts but not quite (though the background programming would love to be in that direction). It doesn't real fit in any category I can think of, but I think it might amuse and interest people if it was taken where I will hopefully make it on to.

The idea is to have a small world that you control and influence and in the process learn to balance and see the result of input. The video (please excuse the sound quality) shows where I've got to and perhaps shows the direction I am going. I tend to follow my large nose during design and build. In this case it has been redirection by lack of time but I can really see how it could go on to full game with much broader management of all aspect of the environment. I would also like to have a zoom function that take you into the world at a much more in-depth mode. It does run on my ipad one with a few glitches but I think I could reduce the memory by about half and the logic more so...

SO little more to say as my brain is mush. Bring on TOTB5 but not this week.

p.s the music was slung together on the ipad...
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    edited January 2012
    My submission for TOTB4 is "Rednecks and Aliens."

I think this game is outside the box because of the unique feel brought by the art style and gameplay twists it brings to the shooter/defense genres. I think the movement and randomness of enemies in Rednecks and Aliens also feels new and fresh. Each time you play it's slightly different. Also I think the humor makes this game interesting. Some of the "outside the box" parts of this game are still in the works though. In the final game you will have more interaction with your friends truck. There will be a mounted gun in the back and you will be able to select it's target. Also, in between these trips by truck, there will be a side scrolling platform stage where you have to scavenge for supplies in the towns you arrive at. I had a ton of fun creating this game so far, and hope you enjoy playing it!

Tools/methods used besides GS:
    -Adobe Illustrator
    -Adobe Photoshop
    -Modplug Tracker
    -Audacity
    -foley
    -Audio recording (voice, guitar)

Play it now!

*If it's not playing smoothly for you in GS Arcade just check out this gameplay video.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    3 hrs 47 minutes to go.... till the contest closes.... great work already posted...
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Damn, I hate am/pm hours. I was so sure that the deadline was at midnight (since it started on a midnight).

Well, good luck to all the other entries. See you on the next TOTB.
  • skottskott Member Posts: 172
    edited January 2012
    Evil Aliens

Why is this outside the box:
    The controls to steer the missile is what is outside the box, very simple controls, touch to change direction.

STORY:
    The aliens want to destroy the world, not only the earth but a big part of the solar system - Just to be cruel and evil and because they have a big missile.

GAMEPLAY:
    It's all about speed, you need to set the best time to top the rankings.

You control the tip of a missile, very deadly - You need to guide it through space and hit the selected planet. On it's way you need to dodge meteors and avoid being hit by one. You are able to pick up different powerups. There are 3 different weapon types, lazer, plazma and fireballs. Also you need to pickup boost to speed up and that way set a better time.

In the final game there will be gamecenter for rankings

Unfortunately it does not run very well on arcade, I have noticed it plays the best in chrome. Though there are a few graphic and sound glitches.

• 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    edited January 2012
    I present to you.....Saving Bunnies!

How is Saving Bunnies outside of the box?
    When someone thinks about the end of the world and a game about it....who thinks about the end of a planet full of animals, specifically cute bunny rabbits??? Well that would be me. Planet Rabuny is about to be completely destroyed by a massive volcano, but Earth has sent a space ship to save as many bunnies as possible. There are tons of bunnies and even baby bunnies too. There are power ups that help you(Increase size of bounce raft, a bridge, and more), and then there are bad items(ice cube temporarily freezes raft, icicle shrinks raft-you must tap it 5 times to inflate, and the lava ball destroys the raft).

The controls are simple and smooth. You move the bounce raft left and right with your finger. However, instead of one bounce raft, you have two! So you're using two fingers to work together and bounce these bunnies to safety. You could even play this game as co-op multi-player. When you're saving a planet sometimes you might need help from a friend. So you can use one finger to control a bounce raft and the other person can use one finger to control the other raft. With the inclusion of someone else the game changes a lot.

The bunnies are very sporadic. They move and jump off the cliff at random speeds. If they miss the bounce raft they don't die instantly though. When they land in the water they just get pushed backwards with the flow of the river to try again. The graphics are sharp, colorful, retina enabled and have a shading 3dish effect that makes the game really pop. The background also responds to the time changing. The music has a tribal feel to it and nature atmosphere sounds are played during gameplay. I also used a lot of real world items for the sound effects like; ice, bubble packaging cushions, carrots, a paper bag, and some other things. Also the intro story cinematic sets the tone of the game......silly, fun, and kind of serious but not really.

Thank you to everyone involved in the TOTB contest. I've been sleep deprived and haven't been able to play Skyrim because of this, but it was all worth it. I had a great time. Time for sleep. Here's the my video;

(The sound goes down during the device gameplay section)

I-)

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• solvalousolvalou Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    Solvalou presents:

Super Metal Mega Mayan Death Battle: Apocalypse 2012, Adrenalin Edition!

As the Mayan Gods of Armageddon it is your duty to wipe out the human race because no one bothered making a 2013 Mayan calendar. Cleanse the world as fast as your God-Finger can and don't let the puny humans stop you from fulfilling your destiny! Don't dally, you have brunch with Galactus later on. And he doesn't want to be kept waiting :P

I think it is out of the box on the fact that instead of saving the world, you are meant to destroy it. I also wanted to a type of game that wasn't typical on the gamesalad platform and would push it, where there is a bunch of things happening on screen and manic clicking. It also shies away from the clean vector look, using a lot of texture and grit to set itself apart. It's also been planned for HTML5, freeing it from the iphones constraints(lots of spawn/destroy going on)

I learned a lot from this and this would be my first game that I've made on my own. I would like to add some more and bring it to a finished state but it seems there are quite a few bugs with HTML5 in gamesalad :(

Enjoy and have fun!

Video:

GS Arcade:

http://e.gamesalad.com/play/65888

How to play:

Punch the red bullets with your fists(Click and drag them)
    Shoot the green bullets with your godly lasers(Aim and click) You can shoot faster by using your God-Finger to click faster
    Shoot the Earth to reduce the population.
    Click any other objects for a few times to destroy them.
    The more you destroy bullets and objects, the faster your God-Beam powers up!
    When powered up click the middle Gods head(His name is Papa Jack) to "Unleash the Kraken!" (Smart Bomb)
    Smile!

I have no clue how to embed the game to this post hahaha.
    My bed is calling me.... I-) I-) I-)
  • skotleachskotleach Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2012
    Here's a video for my game "Apocalypse Postcards"

Why I think it's original:

I wanted to achieve three specific goals with my entry . First I wanted to create a fresh take on the the “end of the world” theme. Second I wanted to utilize GameSalad’s clock functionality in a unique way. Third I wanted to use at least one Gamesalad feature in a way that it was not necessarily intended. For my first goal, rather then create a game where the objective is to prevent the end of the world or cause it, the premise of my game is to photograph apocalyptic events. For my second goal, I used Gamesalad’s clock feature so that the time of day you play the game is reflected in the app. Play at night and you get a star scape. Play during the day and you get daytime sky. Play in winter and it may snow. I took it a step further by making certain events take place only at specific times of day and year. For my third goal I used the Pause function in Gamesalad to emulate photographs. When the player snaps a photo it triggers the pause screen with a photo matte png. I think I have the seeds of a great game.
  • aarioaario Member, PRO Posts: 256
    edited January 2012
    First of all I would like to suggest that everyone watching my video, especially the judges, should watch it on mute. I feel it gives a better texture to the game :). In all seriousness though I did not make any sounds, I did not even try to make any sounds, because had I done so I probably would have scored negative ..hahaha :S. Anyways, enough about means my lack of musical talent, let's dive into my new game and the reason for my week of insomnia........TA! DA!

✮✮✮ Missile Crisis ✮✮✮

My game is outside the box because of the control system used and the implementation of my in game shop. The control system is a spin on the classic iPods where instead of a wheel I use the position of the users finger to control the angle of the gun. This allows the user to be completely immersed in the gameplay while not obstructing his/her view of the screen. In the shop I used game footage to give the user a preview of what each purchase does, and while it might not be out side the box in general game design its definitely a first as far as GameSalad is concerned.

Alright now that that is out of the way let's actually talk about the game!

It is a survival game where you are trying to save the world from destruction after two countries start a nuclear war. Your little island nation has decided to take it upon itself to save the world from destruction and its up to you to man the guns! There are 6 different kinds of enemies, 7 different power-ups and one piss-off (flip) :). I have integrated In App Purchasing, iAds and Game Center, all of which can be seen in the video. I believe that I pushed GameSalad to the max on this one, oh fun fact in my game scene there are 240ish actors. Mostly everything is recycled and as you can see from the video it runs fairly smoothly, and even more surprising is that it runs smoother on my actual device in Ad-hoc. I dont think there is that much left to say other then Ive yet to finish the help scene and add credits to the options page. so without further ado.....

I would also like to point out that I was having trouble controlling the selector in the shop. This is not an issue with my game its just due to the whole trying to do it with a mouse thing, it runs erectly on the device.

Thank you all for your time, I hope you are looking forward to having Missile Crisis on your device (after all it will be free) and good luck to all the other competitors.
    I would also like to thank Jon for setting this competition up and to all the judges who will be painstakingly reviewing the entries :)

Sincerely,
    Aaron Elliott (aario)

11:50 GMT

EDIT: Forgot to mention the score is a function of all the kills and money added together divided by the inverse of the accuracy.
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    edited January 2012
    HEy there everybody

I couldn't finish my project because of much work. I had other projects open so i have to finish they first :)

Here's just my TOTB4 thread. All other projects are great!! LOVE them. Hopes the right users wins. But if there would be a TOTB5 in the next year, i'll be there :)
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/37421/totb4-bengger-applications

My video what i've made so far and a few images:

Player Walks:
    Player Hits:
    Splashscreen:
    ---
    Benjamin
    Thank you to everyone that took part in this community driven contest.

I've emailed the judges to ask them to get on with the important job of scoring each of these incredible games.

Some really original ideas out there...

Scores will be announced in the next 2 weeks... the sooner I get all the scores in the sooner I can add it all together and announce the winners.

Good luck to everyone... now go get that much deserved sleep... or keep working on your games and get them on the app store...

Cheers Jon aka stormy

*If someone had volunteered to judge but not received an email from me please email me at jon@stormystudio.com
    And thanks to you Jon for the hard work in organising things. Again I enjoyed myself and learnt a lot in the process as I'm sure the other contestants did. It's interesting to see the diversity of the entries. Cheers Kipper
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    edited January 2012
    This is the first time I joined this contest, and I'm very happy that I did. Jon made some great work with this contest!

Ashes & Roses is my 7th game (if I count both iPhone and iPad games), and I know that this is my best game so far. This contest was a great motivation to make and finish my game.

Thank you Jon, and good luck to other contestants.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    This really was a great experience. Definitely helped keep me motivated! Thanks for all the hard work, Jon!
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    A short note/Message from me:
    All the entries above look intriguing, Unfortunatley this year I was not able to finish my entry, Due to a lack of time and With what I had done, I was forced to withdraw the last moment due to a few bugs with images being lost and more.... It wasn't much anyway, Although I do have something vie been working on, it was going to be an entry for TOTB but I changed my mind, and did something else (which crashed and burned as you've read above :P) EVERY entrant to the contest as a little gift to acknowledge your efforts, The game is called "Dotty" and is a puzzle game based of green neon dots :), I shall have a video up later of it:),
    without further a due, I would like to congratulate all the entrants for there efforts, and I will be with you all the way watching what the judges decide!
    @stormystudio I'm sure the following few words are a bit late on the prize thread but howsever! :)
    FOR THE WINNER OF THE CONTEST I WILL MAKE YOU A CUSTOM ANIMATED SPLASHSCREEN AND CONVERT IT TO .PNG SO YOU CAN ANIMATE AND USE IT IN GAMESALAD :)
    Yours Sincerely,
    J.Leonard,
    LeonardDeveloper
  • mm34125mm34125 Member Posts: 35
    I agree - the contest allowed me to make a game I would not have created otherwise! Also, the deadline forced me to finish the project which can be quite hard as many of you probably know. GameSalad skills +1 :)
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    Contact me on thermoapps@gmail.com for the free project file... And provide proof of entry to TOTB, read my post above! :)
    Cheers world...

nice offer there Leonard...

and at mm34125 ....

like the GameSalad skills +1 .... I can imagine the little level up 'dading' noise as everyone learns something new in GameSalad....
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Nice to see all creativity and variety. If the timing is good for the next one I may join in...
  • kegonationkegonation Member Posts: 6

This is one of my first games i made with game salad. My friend and I wanted to create a really fast pace game that really gets people to want to try to beet their high score over and over again. The purpose of the game is to try to keep your monkey alive for as long as you can. Each meteor that you dodge and passes the ground gives you a point. You have 3 lives so dont lose all of them too fast or you will have less time to get as many points as you need to beet your previous high score. We know the artwork could of been better but I hope you still enjoy it!

-G. Kego
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    I think you are kinda late krygo, the contest is over(I think)
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Wayne and I have just finished scoring the games, great work guys and a brilliant competition!

Darren & Wayne.

GS Templates
    GS Tools
    Art Packs
    Music Packs