0.9.90 Pro Webinar Discussion: Introducing Tables & In-App Purchase

LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
edited January 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Hello Pro members!

The Pro member webinar is starting momentarily online in GoToWebinar. We are excited to work with you guys directly and provide a detailed look at our new 0.9.90 release features: tables and in app purchase.

Again, we would like to take this moment to apologize to those unable to join us today due to the 100 person limit. This being our first webinar, we were not sure of user reaction and we have been truly overwhelmed by the response and demand for this webinar.

We are currently exploring options to offer more webinars on this subject very soon, expanding our future webinar attendee limit, and also delivery methods for archive video of todays's webinar.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the webinar afterwards. And again, we look forward to seeing you online (or on the forums) today!

Comments

• morphinegamingmachinemorphinegamingmachine Member, PRO Posts: 449
    will we see others who log In ilk a chat room? cause i just see myself right now
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    Nope. To protect everyone's anonymity we will not be showing anyone's names and all questions will be read anonymously.
  • sdsmith64sdsmith64 Member Posts: 221
    ok 5 minutes after the time to start....waiting
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    yes i had the same and an audio message that it will begin shortly
  • JackYdJackYd Member Posts: 93
    same here^..when is this thing starting?
    it should be like ....now
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    I already crashed once.
    Ow it begins! yahooo!
  • olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    Putting a voice to the username is nice...
    edited January 2012
    well I'm mad....I had to log out of one computer and try to relog back in on another computer....but now it said that some one else is using my email user name! ...so now i can't see it!!!!! saw only 20minutes of it
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @sdsmith64

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try to log in again - I just checked through our system and you're email address is not currently logged in. If you continue to have issues getting in, please let me know. Thanks.
    @Yodapollo no i still get this: "Someone has already joined with the same email address" ...it would be good to have a recording of this and have that link send to the pro users email.
    Thanks guys, awesome.

I have one question: Is it possible to buy for example 1 bag of coins and 1 sword in one purchase.
    I believe the question was asked but not really answered well.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @sdsmith64

We did record today's webinar and we will aim to make it available in the next few days. Again, sorry for the technical issues. We'll try to iron all these out as we continue to do more Professional webinars. Thanks.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    Thank you ! it was very informative and well explained !

Roy.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Very nice Webinar. Only 34 attendee.

Nothing that wasn't already on Tshirtbooth videos so if you missed it just watch the videos on gshelper.com and you're good to go.

Q/A:

1. Will there ever be IAPs subscriptions?

Wait and see but probably we won't see it very soon. Probably never. But it can be mimicked using the iOS clock and the actual IAPs. But there's no telling if Apple will approve it.

2. About the Product ID for IAPs. It is as with leader boards were is better to use something like com.gamename/companyname.IAPname ? Will there be problems with other devs using the same Product ID as mine?

There probably won't be problems with multiple devs having the same Product IDs

3. IAPs in adhoc?

Yes. Best way is to create a test account in iTC.

4. Pop Up will appear?

There is a notification if errors occur (like network problems).

5. IAP can change multiple attributes?

No. And it's not even recommended.

6. Is there a limit on how many IAPs we can implement?

Apparently not but it's better to check with Apple.

7. Is there a limit with Rows and Columns?

1000 each. But there's a cheat on gshelper.com

8. Is random really random?

Apparently yes. Some trouble to demonstrate :)

Unanswered questions from me:

1. When images are not used anymore in runtime will the relative RAM be flushed away or will it adds up until crash?

2. The new table feature is great. One of the main use for it is to store texts. Why didn't you also take some time to fix the Display text behavior? As it is now it looks bad even on non retina devices.

3. The random weapon example was nice. But without a way to easily save those weapons somewere it's not so useful. Do you have an estimate on when the ability to write tables during gameplay will be available?

Fun moment: The Creator crashed once during the presentation :)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Sill not sure how he was changing the image via table text
    Good work guys :D

I did screen record the session and would have offered uploading it but it didn't record sound :(
    @LudwigHeijden I think it can be made after the purchase with some additional rules
  • LuckyLurcherLuckyLurcher Member Posts: 343
    Well done webinar! Thanks. Tables look amazing!
    Okay, guys it was fun, I am going to have diner now ;) bye!
    @SSS Oh, on the GoTo app it was showing only 34. And that seemed strange because the webinar should have been full :)
  • thebitmasterthebitmaster PRO Posts: 75
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for all the hard work putting together IAP and Tables! They are both huge upgrades to an already great tool. The Webinar went pretty well, especially considering it was the first one you did.

I have two Big Questions:

The fact that GS now has In App Purchases integrated is fantastic, but I haven't heard anything to address concerns over the fact that LodSys has been systematically suing indie developers who use IAP. Has GS entered into any kind of licensing agreement with them to alleviate this threat, or are we on our own in dealing with it? I've been waiting for IAP to monetize several of my games for a while, but, frankly, am completely unwilling to take advantage of your hard work as long as these kinds of lawsuits are still being leveled.

The second question is about Tables. Are table values runtime-modifiable? I noticed it's possible to specify a Table name as the first argument of a Change Attribute Behavior, but it only the name of the table. There doesn't seem to any ability to specify the row and column. What does it mean that it can appear as the first argument without the row and column? The idea of tables being writable is very exciting because they could basically be used as arrays (among many other uses), which would close one of the biggest feature holes in GS.

Thanks!

Scott
    As far as i could see, the image changing was done by having the images 1st imported into the image section in GS
    Then on his 1 icon actor he had change attribute that referenced the column in the table
    The row is what the self.ID is set at (each icon had its own id ... 1,2,3, etc etc)
    In the table they were named as the images are named when imported

So the change attribute behaviour runs, it looks up the relevant position in the table, uses its own self id to know how far to go down the table and knows what column to look at as well. When its looking at the right place it see's the value called - magic_sword and looks up that in images and changes to that.
    @thebitmaster At the moment tables are not writeable. But they're working on it.
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    thanks fot the webinar
    could you make some of the project files available to download
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Would just like to say how incredibly impressive Billy Garretsen was - thanks very much to both of you.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    @Rob2 +1

lot crammed into that hour! and, I enjoyed it!

@};- MH
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    @thebitmaster You can specify row and column in tables. If you go into the expression editor, under the list which includes functions, there is a table cell value function. This has three parameters: Table, row, column. Check out TSB videos to see how to call both specific and random data from tables.
  • thebitmasterthebitmaster PRO Posts: 75
    LiquidGameworks: I realize that in the Expression Editor. What I'm saying is that you can choose a table name as the value to be assigned *to* in an Change Attribute Behavior, even though that feature isn't supported and you can't specify a row and column there. Why, then, does the table name even appear in the list? And what exciting undefined behavior occurs if you assign something to it?