Change Regarding Scene Attributes in Custom Behaviors

LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
edited January 2012 in News from the Dev Team
Greetings folks,

We recently discovered an issue where in certain cases custom behaviors could be used in a manner which caused unintended consequences. This oversight has already been corrected in our internal environment and will be publicly addressed within the next release.

We noticed a handful of users adding scene attributes to actor prototypes, through the use of custom behaviors. While this method allowed for development strategies that are not typically available, this technique causes the .xml file to become altered in a way that is inconsistent with the established appropriate format. Alterations of the .xml file can cause a range of unforeseen problems, both in the way the project itself behaves as well its fundamental configuration.

As mentioned above, this custom behavior use exception will be closed in the next GameSalad Creator update. If you already have published games with scene attributes in the prototype, they will not be affected unless you try to alter that prototype. This change will only affect your ability to add scene attributes to prototypes in the future. Going forward, you will need to create an instance of an actor and place the scene attributes within that instance. Custom behaviors will still be available to both prototypes and actor instances but you will only be able to add a custom behavior with scene attributes to an instance of an actor.

While the vast majority of GameSalad users will remain unaffected by this change, we'd like to sincerely apologize to anyone impacted by this fix. We take the integrity and stability of our users' projects very seriously, which is why it was necessary for us to close this exception.

Comments

• scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I really wish there was a way to access the camera from the prototype. Actually it would be really nice if the prototype had access to all scene attributes.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    All Default Scene Attributes At least.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited January 2012
    I hope all the scene attributes will be available through prototypes as well , and especially the scene origins which are very important to use the basic feature of touch with offset in big scenes .

Roy.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited January 2012
    it would be nice if gamesalad dealt with touch offset behind the scenes.
    So users do not have to think about it!.

Yes , but i think there will be a conflict with Hud(non scrollable) and scrollable actors if the touch will always register with offset "behind the scenes" ,
    Simply giving us access to scene origin from prototypes will make our lives much easier ;)

Roy.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @lauren you do a great job with your communication posts!
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2012
    Hi Lauren,

+1 for accessing scene attributes in the Prototype rules. Or maybe there is a good reason why this hasn't been done in the past?

----------------------------------------------
    http://davidgriffinapps.co.uk/

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SnapFireSnapFire Member Posts: 361
    @tenrdrmer

+1
    -Thomas
  • jorkosjorkos Member, PRO Posts: 353
    I'm frustrated GS didn't catch this much earlier but relieved they've discovered......this explains why my creator was freezing and acting weird in certain situations. Thanks guys. I hope the QA team is building games with these kinds of issues. I believe there are also fundamental issues around sound file management.....please test adding and deleting sounds/music, etc.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @jorkos if you have an issue and can reproduce it please submit a bug report with detailed steps on how to reproduce the issue.
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    @jorkos & @tenrdrmer- Agreed! Please pass any issues onto our team via the contact form. Here is helpful information on what we are looking for in bug reports: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/36997/support-contact-bug-reporting#Item_1
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    @jorkos: Additionally, I wanted to mention that we are completing comprehensive QA testing behind the scenes. We even have an internal game team (outside of our standard QA team) at GameSalad that builds and publishes games. That way we can see the real world application of GameSalad Creator and it also ensures that we are seeing the same issues that our developer community does.