how to Loop Music???

willieharriswillieharris Member Posts: 294
edited December 2011 in Tech Support
when looping my audio, I often hear a pause between the loops, start and stop...

is there a way to fine tune this in GS? I have used audio software to trim the music, but it does not give me the control I'm looking for.

thanks for helping!

Comments

• LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    nope, no way to "fine tune' it; music doesn't stop for me when looping, maybe its your track,
    Hope this helps,
    Jack
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    edited December 2011
    Yup, what Leonard said, no real way to fine tune audio in GS, in fact the audio is very very basic.
    GS Is not an audio platform so we shouldn't expect too much, but even for it's stated goal it's pretty rudimentary.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Double ditto; try cutting the silence at the end and possibly the beginning of your track using Audacity, Amadeus or similar. :-)

----------------------------------------------
    http://davidgriffinapps.co.uk/

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,288
    Make sure to test on a device too.
    I've had all sorts of audio issues using GS when testing on my mac using the preview (including short pauses between loops), but found it ran fine when actually on device.
  • willieharriswillieharris Member Posts: 294
    thanks
    @gyroScope && @gyroscope: that worked fine!!! the issue was I did not cute the audio space off the "FRONT" of my audio...
    silly Mistake, but its fine now.

@Digi-chain: thanks a lot, for the tip... one should never for get to test on the devices.LOL

Thanks to all...
    @Tynan
    @LenordDeveloper.

FYI: here is the game I'm working on...it is currently free in the app store, but I don't recommend anyone really consider downloading it until apple's Developer portals reopen about January 5th 2012 latest... I am working on the update and audio was causing a lot of performance issues in the version currently in the app store. UPDATE coming ASAP tho... Thank you guys again for your help.

edited December 2011
    Another trick would be to trigger your loop every X seconds:

This would allow you to 'tune' the loop (but you would still need a neatly cut loop, no silence at the start especially)

This can be useful for making up a 3 minute song from a few two bar loops.

Click this link (it's an image) to see what I mean:

http://1.2.3.12/bmi/img828.imageshack.us/img828/3158/screenshot20111228at170.png

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited December 2011
    Hee, love it, WH; Dino Bird is very arcade! Well-made too; good luck with sales (I'm guessing it won't always be free...)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

@gyroscope: Thanks.lol
    February 1, 2012 price will be a dollar... Lots of issues need to be resolved before I can place a price tag on it, or even move it to android market.
    @Tynan: though I have fixed the issue, that was one of the first things I tried with a method, that passes the argument "loop X every Y". GameSalad did not like that at all!!
    when a lot of physic are taking place in the scene. the audio looping can some times become of set... (Though I love the thought of it working, it does not. LOL)
    for some reason MP4, loops the best. Mp3 not so good... The only issue is mp4 does not work in Mono, so I cant atomize my audio file sizes as well with mp4 as I can with mp3.
    but GS likes mp4 best, and it does not add any unwanted spaces to the beginning and end of your audio. "THIS SEEMS TO BE TRUE FOR MUSIC NOT SOUND EFFECTS."

Thank you both.
    > "that was one of the first things I tried with a method, that passes the argument "loop X every Y". GameSalad did not like that at all!"

It probably worked ok for me because I had nothing else going on ! Just a white square ! : )

> "for some reason MP4, loops the best. Mp3 not so good"

MP3s are converted to m4a when imported into GS (see table below ) so in theory they should behave the same ?

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3439/tablesj.jpg
    @Tynan: Very true, I'm only speculating, but I think my formats should be save as mp4 files before in-puting them into GS, it caused me a few head aces,
    when I allowed GS to handle the conversion process for me.
    it is also possible, and likely that I've been offsetting my audio some how when playing with the Hertz etc.(Audio setting)

FYI: I use "SWITCH" its a free audio converter for mac.
    great for quick conversions, but likely the bane of my issues.
    edited December 2011
    waymanharris "FYI: I use "SWITCH" its a free audio converter for mac. great for quick conversions, but likely the bane of my issues"

Try using Quicktime Player 7 - (using Export rather than Save As) - converts audio without any issues and is free.