Game runs faster on iphone 3gs than ipod touch 4 - is this normal?

DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,288
edited December 2011 in Tech Support
Hi guys, I've built and tested my game using my ipod touch 4th gen.

This evening I've just had chance to test on my friends iphone 3gs. I was expecting it to run less well on the 3gs but its far better! Is this normal? I believed the ipod4 shared same tech as the iphone 4 so am surprised.

In summary:
average fps on my ipod 4 is between 35-45 fps.
average fps on the 3gs is around the 60fps mark.

The game is essentially a point and click adventure so the lower fps have never been a huge concern - but I was worried it would struggle on the 3gs so am really suprised/relieved!

Please share your wisdom on this!...

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    they really should get around the same FPS. All of my tests comparing an iPhone 4 vs 3gs have shown similar if not identical FPS.

its possible your ipod 4 is messed up or not really an ipod 4
  • DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,288
    Well - its def an ipod 4, bought from a large reputable online store in the UK. Only owned a few months - bought to test GS built games on. I've only installed a few other GS built games on it too, so pretty much as new. Bizarre - but I'm so glad my game runs so well on 3gs!

I thought that generally iphone/ipod 4 would have a real improvement over 3gs anyway.
    Is ipod 4 not as good as iphone 4? Am I missing something here?
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    They have the same processor, but the iPhone 4 supports the Retina Display graphics and 3Gs doesn't. So yes, it makes sense it would run faster on the 3Gs if you are using high res graphics.
    Ok yeah I guess that would makes sense... but no, I'm not using high res graphics anyway.

Anyone know of any diagnostics tests to check your iphone/ipod is running as it should?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I find it odd anytime my 4th gen device does not run at 50-60fps you have to be doing some pretty heavy stuff normally to keep it down low.
    Well - basically I have scenes populated with quite a number of large actors/images (all non-movable). They're on screen at all times with alpha set to either 1 or 0 depending on how the scene needs to appear at any given point.

This is curious - but I have had no reason to believe my device isn't functioning correctly.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    Is your iPod jailbroken?
  • threepeasoupthreepeasoup Member Posts: 33
    Hey Digi-chain,

Ipod touch 4th generation is almost identical in hardware specs as the iphone 3gs. The only real difference in hardware specs is that the Ipod touch 4th gen runs at a underclocked 800 MHz, while the 3gs is underclocked 600 MHz. Both have the same ram specs.

Going from tenrdrmer, the ipod touch 4th gen has a resolution of 960x640 px at 326 PPI. Iphone 3gs runs at 480 × 320 px (HVGA) at 163 ppi. If its any problem with the fps issue, I think your first problem is there. Otherwise I have no idea :p.

I hope this info helps.

• ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    Faulty maybe.