Marketplace now accepting Audio Submissions!

MChewieMChewie Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 32
edited December 2011 in News from the Dev Team
Good news to all the audio creators and those needing new professional music and sounds for their games! GameSalad Marketplace is now accepting submissions for audio content! We'll now be offering sound effects and music for purchase and use!

We'll be accepting submissions mailed to MarketSubmission@gamesalad.com starting immediately. Please include:
-Your Name
-Your GameSalad ID
-Your email
-Up to 1MB of content (one or many files) attached for review.
(this is just for submissions-obviously you'll be able to sell more if approved)

Once we review your content, we'll let you know if you've been accepted or not. If you have been accepted, you'll receive information to fill out so we can properly pay you and manage your account in our system. You'll receive upload instructions, and are good to go!

We're very excited about this addition to the Marketplace, and will be making some more announcement soon!

-MChewie

Comments

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @MChewie Hi, do you already have the submission I sent a few weeks ago?
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    This is great news...

Will you be accepting tools, we're really keen to submit our GS Merger for eg and think the users would love it.

Many users already have it and I think they will all agree it's a must have tool.

Darren.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    @utopiangames
    I couldn't agree more, your tools are amazing! and it would make it perfect if more gs users had access to them.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Is there any chance someone could look to see what happened to my application...which I submitted many many months ago now...it got approved...I sent in the paper work to go to the next step...never got a reply...emailed a few people at GameSalad...each time they've said they will look into it...and each time I never hear anything back....

(Also...if someones looking into it... could anybody let me know what happened to my sous chef status.. only noticed it has gone today... and I'm feeling sad without it...)
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    Formats !? WAV / AIFF / MP3 / AAC ? Sampling rate ? Bit depth ? . . . . . . etc etc ?

• SnapFireSnapFire Member Posts: 361
    It says you're a Sous Chef...?
    Maybe they just changed it
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    yeah thanks SnapFire.... I'm back to being a sous chef ... and much happier :-)
  • MChewieMChewie Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 32
    Apparently some people's acceptance status emails got fouled up or lost--could definitely be at our end or lost in those tubes somewhere. I'll go through today and see what I can find out and resend.

Also, in regards to audio format: MP3 and OGG would be the best two formats, as Creator uses OGG for audio, but MP3 is such a standard. You can decide your bit depth/sampling. I'll ask the engineers if they have any other recommendations, and if so, will post them.

-MChewie
    @stormystudio: I just resent your approval/submission information and pinged the engineers to verify that everything in your account has been activated. Please let me know if you have any issues that come up.

-MChewie
    @HoneyTribeStudios We have your submission and will review it today.
  • applaudmobileapplaudmobile Member Posts: 208
    @MChewie I submitted music details on the 7th Dec. did you receive mine?
  • applaudmobileapplaudmobile Member Posts: 208
    How will audio work within the MarketPlace. Will buyers listen to the whole track or just a few seconds? How do I protect tracks from being recorded (while previewed) and not purchased? Should I "watermark" tracks and the ones they buy are non-watermarked? I can't find any details about this and would like to know before submitting tracks. (also emailed same)
    @applaudmobile Great question; I'll respond for everyone interested. We downgrade the quality of the preview, which is currently limited to 15 seconds. Right now, we default to the first 15 seconds of the track, but you can provide a specific section of the track for previewing to us and we can use that instead (we'll provide specific information on how to get us that directly to accepted sellers). The buyer will get the full audio track at the original quality.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    Email sent to gamesalad team

Calvin
    @RKS The free template and pack from Popular Mechanics' Be the Spark was created by GameSalad's internal team, Game Team 1 and is provided to the community as a service by GameSalad with the permission of Hearst Communications. We don't have a plan to have free assets from 3rd parties on Marketplace at this time.
  • muveemuttmuveemutt Member Posts: 83
    Yay..Now I gotta learn how to make audio clips! :-)
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @MChewie Signed agreement now on the way from the UK. Looking forward to being able to upload tracks to the store...!

How about a ratings system so people who have bought something can give it a mark out of 5? Then let users sort the list by rating,popular,alphabetical or date.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    edited December 2011
    Yup, I was always an okay dev, but music is where I Shine!
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    @MChewie - I signed my agreement and sent it back weeks ago and not heard anything. Can you look in to this for me please?

Ace
    @HoneyTribeStudios Great idea-we've kicked around good ways to rank items, and intend to do so, but it's a little ways off on the engineering side.

@mynameisace I'm not sure what happened personally, but I'll check with the review team and see what's going on.
  • bozzyboybozzyboy Member Posts: 2
    just submitted a sound fx pack for review. when do you think the reply is going to be sent? i am impatiently looking forward to receiving a reply :))))
  • samnextsamsamnextsam Member Posts: 33
    Hi
    I have sent a sample song and the information about me.
    How long will it take before i can submit.
    Best Regard Sam
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    You have to get past the review process first to see if your work is high enough quality to be in the marketplace first.
  • samnextsamsamnextsam Member Posts: 33
    Hi
    I now :)
    I hopp that I Will get past pass the review process.
    Best regards sam
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    The audio portion of GS Marketplace leaves a lot to be desired. I was going to submit my own music tracks, but I imagine they would get trampled by the flooding of others in an unorganized system. Here's a list of things that would make the Audio marketplace useable.

1) Standard Format for Info - track length, genre, bit rate, key, bpm. These things need to be REQUIRED for all audio submissions. Your latest poster (Greer) includes none of these. How are we expected to lay down money for a track that is a total mystery, apart from the first 15 secs?

2) On 15 sec, this isn't enough to determine the quality of a track. If its an epic soundtrack designed to be played full length, then the first 15 sec are not indicative of the content of the song. Just do a full preview, and tell submitters to insert their own watermark (be it beeps or robot).

3) Some Organization, please! Right now, with the way the page is formatted (more selections becoming available when you scroll down), it takes 20-30 to get past the first poster, at which point some may get tired of browsing through a random mess of tracks. You need to have the system be able to sort by genre, bpm, track length and artist. The way you have it set up now, the very first people who submitted to the Marketplace are totally screwed.

4) You need to separate music from sounds. In this system, there is no inherent separation, and that won't work.

This system you have makes losers of us all. I'm willing to bet your marketplace has lackluster sales due to the incredibly obscure way its set up. The way it is set up will ensure that you have decreased participation and decreased purchases which hurts both you and the artist.

Seriously, where's quality control? This should never have been released.

If you really wanted a system that's just a list and a shopping cart, I could have put that together for you in 20 min for free. I understand the organization of templates and art is a more subjective process, and requires thought.... but audio doesn't. Its fairly straight forwards, and you're doing yourself a disservice to keep a marketplace like this online.

Here is one of my favorite loop sites, check it out, and see what they do right. http://www.melodyloops.com/music/

Thanks for listening to my constructive criticism. :)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited January 2012
    I as well was accepted and sent a message expressing my reservations similar to yours. I am a sound engineer with 20 years experience and don't want to have my loops cluttered in with the junk. I don't think sales will be generated in the current state of the market place. They need to have quality over quantity. I think an idea would be to let each seller have his or her own page so you select by seller so people can do their own quality control without sorting through everything.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    The Audio Marketplace is brand new, and I hope there is some sort of system that will replace the current one, because I have to agree, it's a little clustered already, and there is only 4 artists with submissions. Nothing against Mr. Greer, but now there are over 100 submissions from him, and you have to scroll down about 15 times before you can see any other developers work. In the coming months, it's going to get to the point where you will have to scroll several hundred times to see what there is in the Marketplace. Even the graphics and templates section are getting clustered. Again, it's still new, and it's a wonderful idea, and I'm sure GameSalad is aware of how quickly its becoming populated, and hopefully we can get something a little more user friendly in place eventually.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Here is a point if view from an actual user of Marketplace (I.e., someone who buys things not sells things). It sucks royally. There is no quality control at all. They allow sellers to sell Png images that are not at 72 ppi and background images that are odd sized and not power of two. One package I bought I had to import every single image into photoshop and resize the images (do I hear quality loss) and also chane every sinle image to 72 ppi from 300 dpi. Ther is just plain no excuse for GS allowing that to happen. Crazy part is that package was from a seller that was on marketplace before they allowed third party submissions. So it was a GS sponsored artist. Makes it even worse in my opinion. The way it is now I might as well go by m images from stock photo or some other vendor cause there is really no advantage to buying in marketplace since the autoimport feature in GS is worthless when you have to export into photoshop anyway to make them GS friendly image and then manually import into GS. I got to be honest, from my experience the the marketplace thing just felt like a complete scam and made me fell dirty for even using it. I think they need to pull it completely down and start over with some quality control in mind to make sure stuff that is for sale will actually be usable in GS. Also I reported this issue in a number of ways and never heard a single word from GS about it. Pathetic.

On a brighter note. I love the game engine etc..: just think this one foray into trying to make additional revenue was executed as a complete failure. Time for a redo.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @Dotsonj32
    Those are some really good points!!! I have wondered since the start if they where gonna set any guidelines for te art but the basics really need to be there. Proper background dimensions and at least minimum of even numbered image dimensions. But the powers of 2 would be even better or something close with that stuff in mind.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    @tendrmer
    Thanks, just my crazy rant for the day. Does not change my opinion of GS overall though. Really love what they are doing otherwise, particularly the native Xcode builds that are coming sometime this year. I think they are well on their way to answering the current competition (i.e., iStencyl). Let's just get some standards up in the marketplace.
This discussion has been closed.