"application executable is missing a required architecture" error

T8TRG8TRT8TRG8TR Member Posts: 120
edited December 2011 in Tech Support
I just finished a game I was making and published it just like I normally do. I compressed the file and then opened up the application loader, selected the right app, and selected my compressed file. Right after I click send, it comes up with the error:

"iPhone/iPod Touch: application executable is missing a required architecture. At least on of the following architecture(s) must be present: armv6"

This is an update to an old app but I've still never had this error before. It looks like it will still let me send it but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I just downloaded the latest GS update. I'm not sure that that matters though.

Comments

• AnunnakiCreatorsAnunnakiCreators Member Posts: 54
    Hey I was just coming here to complain about this >:[

Beat me to it! It has to be on GameSalad's end.
  • TomCoffeeTomCoffee Member, PRO Posts: 175
    Yep, I have the same error with an app I'm trying to update from just a few days ago (and yes, I also updated GS... Maybe I shouldn't do that so quickly anymore..hmm)...

Nuts...
  • Supersonic9120Supersonic9120 Member, PRO Posts: 174
    I'm here for the same thing. Any ideas????
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    Yeap me too. I emailed GS support earlier today and they said they're aware of the issue and working on it......

I shouldn't have updated and saved my file. I've learned my lesson with GS updates from now on.

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Okay just published an app to itunes this morning. Got the armv6 error. In the advanced options area when publishing out of GS I checked the REQUIRE ARMV7 box. This says only 2 gen ipod or above will be supported, no biggie, then I selected ios version 3.2 as min my 2nd generation ipod touch has 4.2 on it. I uploaded and it went in fine. Hope this helps anyone.
    Here is something I just read on a developer blog...If you want to re-add the ARMv6 architecture to your build settings, follow these instructions: Warning iPhone apps should include an armv6 architecture even with build config set?
    For example, if you want to support iOS 4.2 and still support iPod touch second generation or the iPhone 3G, you'll have to set architecture to ARMv6 and deployment target to 4.2. The original iPhone, the original iPod touch won't be supported. You should also set the UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities in the info.plist of your app.

So anyway GS only gives the option of 4.1 max limit.
  • error123error123 Member Posts: 112
    Thanks dsouza41 i did what you said here\
    n the advanced options area when publishing out of GS I checked the REQUIRE ARMV7 box. This says only 2 gen ipod or above will be supported, no biggie, then I selected ios version 3.2 as min my 2nd generation ipod touch has 4.2 on it. I uploaded and it went in fine.

worked fine for me to.
    Hmm, interesting. That may work for NEW apps, but not updates to existing apps. I made those changes (require Arm7, 3.2 as min) but this time Application Loader kicked out the following error:

"The bundle is invalid. The key IURequiredDeviceCapabilities in the Info.plist may not contain values that would prevent this application from running on devices that were supported by previous versions."

So, essentially, it doesn't want me to make 3.2 required because there's a chance that people who are using my app may still have 3.0, so this would essentially not work on their device any longer. Err... right?

Soo... updates are dead-in-the-water.... New apps okay... yes?
  • andywong33andywong33 Member Posts: 5
    same problem
    I was able to publish and submit a new app that after the error. I have two apps already on the store so I think I'm going to create a boot drive with an older version of Xcode installed to update those and see if it works. I'll let you know. I have an older version of Xcode on a disk.
  • iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310
    Thank you very much Error123. You saved me hours of troubleshooting.
  • T8TRG8TRT8TRG8TR Member Posts: 120
    Anyone know if gamesalad is working on the issue?
    Yes, they are working on it. FutureNewbApps said support emailed him. I've also seen SSS leave comments on several threads that they are aware of the problem.... But apparently no ETA on a solution...

So no updates for my apps... Was working on putting links to paid apps in my free apps... d'oh!
  • GuaveMediaGuaveMedia Member, PRO Posts: 1,262
    That's uncool :/ I just finished my Xmas Edition and now I can't update :((

Hope they fix it soon....
  • mikelowemikelowe Member Posts: 177
    @FutureNewbApps, you can still open your 0.9.87 project in 0.9.85. Unfortunately it requires a lot of boring work. Click on your project file and select show package contents. Go into EVERY xml file and change the GSVersion tag to 0.9.85. It worked for me after about 200 files.
    @Mikelowe cool, thanks for the tip! I'm too lazy to change it manually in each file so I just used Notepad++ and the "Find In Files..." feature and changed 0.9.87 to 0.9.85 in every file (took about 3 seconds!)...

I'm still new to this Mac thing so I don't know if I can just double-click on the Gamesalad 0.9.85 executable to install it on top of 0.9.87. That makes me nervous (too many PC/Microsoft Office install nightmares over the years)...
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    @mikelowe thank you for that tip. I went ahead and made it only available to armv7 devices(min 3.2 OS) last week and it went through the Application Loader fine, hopefully there's nothing to stop it from getting approved. Luckily this was a new release and not an update so I didn't have to make it available to armv6 devices. I would do what you said now and then resend it but it's a holiday themed game so I'm trying to get it on the app store asap. Thank you again though.

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• MegapixelIdeasMegapixelIdeas Member, PRO Posts: 476
    Check out Our Step by Step tutorial on how to work around this problem!

http://www.megapixelideasllc.com/armv6-architecture
  • mikelowemikelowe Member Posts: 177
    edited December 2011
    @MegapixelIdeas, I wish I had known about that feature in text wrangler earlier! took me soo long to go through all those files

@FutureNewbApps, was your original app only for armv7? I feel like apple wouldn't want you to drop support for users who have already purchased your app. I tried to make it armv7 for an update of an older app and it would not let me.

@TomCoffee, rename GS 0.9.85 so that it doesnt overwrite the new one and then right click the gsproject file and do open with -> older gamesalad.
  • LBGLBG Member Posts: 277
    Hi GS,

Is there an eta on the patch for this? I was hoping the patch would be live this morning so I could update my app and fix some glaring bugs.

Thanks

LBG