Forum Marketplace Shutting Down - Monday, October 31st

2»

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Guys we are getting a forum. They just making sure it all works before switching. It's not vBulletin though. But it is really awesome.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    SaladStraightShooter said:
    @applaudmobile - Yes, custom services like music/sound production, art, etc. can still be listed on the "Jobs" section.

That answered my main question. Thanks. But where do we find the license agreement before we buy assets. I can't find them for the life of me. And without that anyone would be insane to purchase art assets in the marketplace. If it's there, Mia culpa, but it should be easier to find. If is not there, that is a huge huge oversight. I know I am not buying one thing from marketplace until it's entirely clear what legal rights I have to commercially use without royalty the purchased assets.
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 602
    MChewie said:
    As such, everyone who has not heard from us should expect to get a response next week (probably early next week-just to put a little extra pressure on us).

I hope I'm in that list! I sent in my template submission well over a month ago. :)
  • entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    I have a question that I would like to raise because it seems to me that there isn't major widespread interest in this feature from our community.

What is the long term goal of marketplace?

You can decide to keep this secret, or you can let us in on it and get the community excited and productive which will ultimately help the marketplace grow much faster.

Is marketplace currently only targeted towards GS users?

It's unclear via the descriptions available in cookbook as to what the answer to this is. It is certainly clear that they will work and integrate well with GS Creator, but there are a lot of people making games out there that don't use (because they don't know about GS yet) or don't want to use GS to create their games. Right now, there is a massive part of the market that if they were to stumble across marketplace, would not be sure that it was useable by them or not. That's a very big problem.

If this were done right, you could have marketplace be something that becomes well known in the indie game world. That would in turn get the name GameSalad out there much more and would attract new users. That would bring a whole lot more money into the GS bank account which funds new employees and speeds up production. It also brings a lot more money into the bank accounts of the content providers which in turn raises interest in the market which will ultimately bring change and growth to the platform. Targeting only GS users with graphic packs that cost $200 when a vast majority of people using creator aren't willing to put $20 worth of their own sweat in a game seems ridiculous. Expand the audience. Go after the users of other software (corona, unity, maya). Open up the assets to different kinds of business. People need graphics for websites and posters. In fact I'd say there are a lot more people out there that need graphic assets that are not game-related than game-related. The argument could be made that marketplace would become a stock photo/graphic site, but if it were done right then that could feel quite separate from the game asset products.

Bottom line is that if it's about GS making money, which it is, then there should really be a new look at the possibilities of expanding the target audience for these 3rd party assets. Right now it isn't an attractive market to put my time, focus, and money into. So when a plan is initiated that states "the buying and selling of assets via our forums is prohibited as of Monday," when the only other route for selling like this to the GS community is going through a process without any known previous success stories, what is so far a very slow acceptance procedure, and a user group that isn't showing much excitement about the feature isn't a good way to go.

You can't force people in a free market to bend to your shape if that shape isn't something that people want to bend to.

Apps wouldn't have exploded the way they did if Apple only targeted current Apple users. Apps wouldn't have exploded the way they did if no one was making any money off of them. Apps wouldn't have exploded the way they did if they were limited only to games. Right now marketplace doesn't look like a good way to make a steady income, and until that perception changes I don't see massive possibilities of growth.

I want GameSalad to continue growing and innovating.

Easier said than done, I am aware, but there are a lot of very smart people working at GS.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    entersimon said:
    I have a question that I would like to raise because it seems to me that there isn't major widespread interest in this feature from our community.

What is the long term goal of marketplace?

You can decide to keep this secret, or you can let us in on it and get the community excited and productive which will ultimately help the marketplace grow much faster.

Is marketplace currently only targeted towards GS users?

It's unclear via the descriptions available in cookbook as to what the answer to this is. It is certainly clear that they will work and integrate well with GS Creator, but there are a lot of people making games out there that don't use (because they don't know about GS yet) or don't want to use GS to create their games. Right now, there is a massive part of the market that if they were to stumble across marketplace, would not be sure that it was useable by them or not. That's a very big problem.

If this were done right, you could have marketplace be something that becomes well known in the indie game world. That would in turn get the name GameSalad out there much more and would attract new users. That would bring a whole lot more money into the GS bank account which funds new employees and speeds up production. It also brings a lot more money into the bank accounts of the content providers which in turn raises interest in the market which will ultimately bring change and growth to the platform. Targeting only GS users with graphic packs that cost $200 when a vast majority of people using creator aren't willing to put $20 worth of their own sweat in a game seems ridiculous. Expand the audience. Go after the users of other software (corona, unity, maya). Open up the assets to different kinds of business. People need graphics for websites and posters. In fact I'd say there are a lot more people out there that need graphic assets that are not game-related than game-related. The argument could be made that marketplace would become a stock photo/graphic site, but if it were done right then that could feel quite separate from the game asset products.

Bottom line is that if it's about GS making money, which it is, then there should really be a new look at the possibilities of expanding the target audience for these 3rd party assets. Right now it isn't an attractive market to put my time, focus, and money into. So when a plan is initiated that states "the buying and selling of assets via our forums is prohibited as of Monday," when the only other route for selling like this to the GS community is going through a process without any known previous success stories, what is so far a very slow acceptance procedure, and a user group that isn't showing much excitement about the feature isn't a good way to go.

You can't force people in a free market to bend to your shape if that shape isn't something that people want to bend to.

Apps wouldn't have exploded the way they did if Apple only targeted current Apple users. Apps wouldn't have exploded the way they did if no one was making any money off of them. Apps wouldn't have exploded the way they did if they were limited only to games. Right now marketplace doesn't look like a good way to make a steady income, and until that perception changes I don't see massive possibilities of growth.

I want GameSalad to continue growing and innovating.

Easier said than done, I am aware, but there are a lot of very smart people working at GS.

you lost me at maya
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    tenrdrmer said:
    Guys we are getting a forum. They just making sure it all works before switching. It's not vBulletin though. But it is really awesome.

AWESOME! can't wait to post on the new forums
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Looking forward to hearing something from you guys about the templates I submitted to the Marketplace. The new forum sounds great also!

- Alex
  • lollollollol Member Posts: 45
    The most easy answer for people that wish to sell there templates/art but do not wish to sell them on the Marketplace is just sell the on DeepBlueApps new forum http://www.deepblueapps.com/forum

Is there a rule that says you can only sell your goods here?

I fully understand why GS has done this, all businesses need to make money and when they see others making it they want some, and why not. But as always when there is money involved there will be ways around it.

I'm sure there will be lots of emails to people to buy there templates direct

Lots of pm's to buy off direct

For example:

This item for sale here http://marketplace.gamesalad.com/#product=514 , for $49.99 Im not going to buy it because there is just not enough info on it.

Just my thoughts guys.
    lollol said:

This item for sale here http://marketplace.gamesalad.com/#product=514 , for $49.99 Im not going to buy it because there is just not enough info on it.

That is one of the biggest setback to the marketplace right now. Im not sure why they cannot have a place where you can embed a video multiple screen shots etc…. The video alone would be a huge help.
  • lollollollol Member Posts: 45
    tenrdrmer: I 100% agree with you. I think its very poorly set up. If they wanted to make more money the should have just sold advertising spots on the forum like other forums do.

There is lots of sites to buy images from for games for all users here, http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ is a great site for images and other work.

I suggest people that have there own website that sell there work from should post here before they are not allowed.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    lollol said:
    tenrdrmer: I 100% agree with you. I think its very poorly set up. If they wanted to make more money the should have just sold advertising spots on the forum like other forums do.

The idea of having a GameSalad Marketplace isn't bad. Two upcoming rivals to GameSalad seem to be planning their own...

http://beta.gamebuilderstudio.com/
    ...and...
    http://www.stencyl.com/stencylworks/roadmap/

Also, I think http://daz3d.com has a nice shop. Yet, if you look at that shop, you can see why the GameSalad one is off to a bad start.

1 - No freebies... DAZ has weekly giveaways. (Give customers a reason to look around.)
    2 - Too expensive... I'd rather license DAZ3D artwork. It's much cheaper
    3 - Marketing needs improvement... GameSalad says they're working on this.

It would seem that my sound files should have been a perfect match for the GameSalad Marketplace. Yet, I saw some issues that I didn't like. I think the GameSalad Marketplace can be improved. It's still a good idea. But unfortunately, the initial implementation was not good enough for me.

My sound files are back online...
    http://photics.com/products/sound-effects-volume-1

Did I make the wrong decision? Should have I waited for the GameSalad Marketplace to get online? So far, I think the answer to those questions is no.
  • baboybaboy Member, PRO Posts: 93
    MChewie said:
    For everyone that has applied to Marketplace, we have not forgotten you!

I hope this is true because it's already been a month since I applied as a Marketplace 3rd party seller and still not a single word from you guys. I have resubmitted my application 2 times already and still no response.
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    I love that GS made a marketplace that is much more professional and I applaud them for doing such a great job. I think this will be great for many users. But on the other hand, I think it would be nice to continue to have this Marketplace. It is a great place to post services about art and sell templates. I don't see why they can't coexist. I understand that GS is in need of money in the form of a percentage but I am afraid the forums will be very cluttered and it will be hard for new users to find people to help them with there projects. I think we should keep the old one and if you don't like it, then don't have to click the tab that says Marketplace. I agree there is a lot of junk in there but beneath it, you find gold. If you think we should keep it, just post below. I do not want to start a pissing match so if you support it, you may post but if not, please restrain yourself from posting just to keep this clean. :)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Services can be posted under the jobs forum. The marketplace forum from the minute it was set up was always intended as a temporary solution and always had a closing in the future as part of the plan.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    As someone who has sold things via the market place forum..I have to say, I am all for getting rid of it as it stood in it's current form.

Whether or not it's a good move will be seen in the weeks to come I guess. But something more structured for content providers should be embraced.

The forum just ended up being a) a mess, and b) a bumping nightmare
    Hapiapps said:
    ...so if you support it, you may post but if not, please restrain yourself from posting just to keep this clean. :)

HAHA

So please don't let anyone know that you disagree so we can say Look all these people who agree.

The Forum Marketplace is closing. I am merging to the Marketplace is closing Sticky. Keep all the conversation in one place. Plenty of people there have aired their thoughts for and against.
This discussion has been closed.