Possible 0.9.80 save bug?

SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I'm thinking this is a bug cause I'm 90% sure this was working before the update but is anyone having Save issues?

Here's whats happening:

Go into game, get to 'Level Select' scene (this scene shows the scores and positions as text attributes so it's Displaying ScoreA, ScoreB ScoreC and ScoreD (B,C and D are locked at first)

You play Level A and come back to this Level choice screen - all looks good - Score A is showing the proper score the rest are 0 - All is good.

Click the back to menu button to the main screen (this is where the saved scores and positions are loaded) - go back to the Level select screen and ScoreC and ScoreD are now the same as ScoreA.

Now I know this is occurring at the load screen as I put a Display text attribute for ScoreC to see if it changed there and it does. So you would think "Well SS, you've had too much to drink! you've got the ScoreA loading key is going to the C and D attribute" - BUT ITS NOT!!

The only way I can see this happening is if ScoreA was being saved to ScoreC and D and therefor loading the same Score - but there is no Save for scores happeing in these 2 scenes

I've checked all possible settings and they are correct. The save keys match, the attributes match, the display texts match. So am I going mad or can I classify this as a bug?

Comments

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    This is interesting, I put a debug on the ScoreA and ScoreC in the main menu - Score A comes back with 1540 (a proper Score number) and ScoreC comes back as 0 - this is correct but the same ScoreC value set to show the text Display of is showing the Score A value!
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    This sounds like an issue I was having with my scores after this recent update. Every so often my new highscore would update to the correct highscore slot, but would also update the next slot below it to the same number.

I went over and over the rules, but couldnt find any reason why it would be doing this. In the end, the only thing i could think of was that somehow the score updating wasnt getting enough time to do the saves before the next rule kicked in, so I added a short timer. So far, Im no longer seeing the dodgy double score, but Im not convinced 100% that its fixed.

The fact that it wasnt a consistent bug, and only happened every so often makes me think it could still be in there... but at least its not showing up in testing anymore... so far! :)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    wrap it in a .1 second timer with run to completion checked, and make sure everything is case sensitive.

there are a lot of 'bugs' like these that pop up with every release due to them increasing the performance of the back engine. most of the time the engine is just processing stuff too quick and require a timer to make sure it completes.
    Will try a timer and se how it goes, thanks.
    Nope no difference with timer - so I decide to change the Key name of the Scores but as I was doing that I noticed something weird.

Of the 4 attributes, Score A and ScoreB let me click in the name and enter a change with no pop up window. If I click on the C or D (the ones giving me trouble) I get the expression pop up window - I find that rather odd. Going to replace them and see
    THAT DID IT!!

SO if anyone is having an issue where your scores are getting duplicated into other score attributes - check your loading attribute where you type the key - IF it pops up when you click on the text instead of just highlighting the text (like you hit the expression 'e') then replace it or duplicate one that doesn't do that and add the proper key info.

Thanks guys - you may not have had the answer but you pushed me to look further at the loading area.
  • RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    thats not good, just delete the rule and make a new one without the expression editor
    It's not a rule, it's part of the load attribute where you place in the key. Expression editor is supposed to be there but only open when I click on it not in the text box.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Did replacing them work?

Other than that, I found my load/save errors to be entirely my fault!

QS :O

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    when i said rule i meant the load behavior
    :)
    Yes replacing them worked - I think this also explains why my game centre scores were not posting cause I'm seeing the same effect - nice when things get fixed.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Im having an Issue with Save Stuff, Will test your solution and report BAck.

Cheers.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Finally! This post save my day, was like 4 hours trying to figure out why it was not working, and was because of this:

SO if anyone is having an issue where your scores are getting duplicated into other score attributes - check your loading attribute where you type the key - IF it pops up when you click on the text instead of just highlighting the text (like you hit the expression 'e') then replace it or duplicate one that doesn't do that and add the proper key info.

Cheers.