Incorrect and inconsistent scene changes

domeniusdomenius Member Posts: 108
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hey, I have been developing a game in GameSalad that currently encompasses 50 levels. The level select screen has a button for each level each with a unique change scene. Sometimes, everything functions properly, but on many occasions I have observed a strange bug where you are taken to the wrong scene. Sometimes, the bug will persist between a complete close/open of the game. After restarting the game a number of times, it will eventually fix itself and take you to the correct level. In fact, I even observed the back arrow on the level select scene (takes you back to the menu) taking me to a random game level! I have tested this using both the GS viewer and using a compiled .app file and on two different iphones (both 4th gen) with the same results. Any ideas why this may be happening? Thank you for the help.

Comments

• chicopchicop Member Posts: 263
    i dont have what you're having but i have had that entering the new level opens up 2 new levels that should not be opened yet.

ive re done commands on all of these and that some how refreshed it, so it works. All except 1 level.. just keeps doing it..

i hope new update will fix it.. ive checked my code tons of times and im not doing anything weird.

hope you get it sorted.
  • domeniusdomenius Member Posts: 108
    Stuff like this seriously reduces Gamesalads viability as a serious development platform. The fact that setting up 50 scene changes is so obtuse to begin with doesn't help the fact that it becomes impossible to maintain if it can break itself for no reason.
    After going through the painstaking process of replacing every single changescene in my project, this bug still occurs with a very high frequency. I would be more than happy to hand my project file over to gamesalad if someone wished to investigate this bug further.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    domenius said:
    After going through the painstaking process of replacing every single changescene in my project, this bug still occurs with a very high frequency. I would be more than happy to hand my project file over to gamesalad if someone wished to investigate this bug further.

Send it to helpdesk@gamesalad.com so they can have a look at it.

I think the reason you're not getting many responses to this is that nobody else is actually experiencing it (apart from Chicop).

It's very easy to blame the tool. I recently was yelling at it for not saving something properly. I really just couldn't understand why it wasn't saving properly.

I was ready to send it to GS and moan about their save feature being broken!

Then I did some tests and discovered that it was actually *my* fault and that I wasn't doing something right.

I've been using this software for over two years. If *I* can get caught out now and again by my failings, then others can too!

Good luck!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the tool IF the problem was consistent. The most peculiar part is of course that simple back buttons will occasionally take me to a random game level as well, but other times the game will function without issue. I will send my files off to helpdesk and hope we can come to a solution.