Sound Effects cannot be heard on my computer

HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I can not hear any sound effects, not those in the sample projects, or when I import my own.

If I import audio as "music", that will play, but nothing that I import as "sound effects".

That is very frustrating, and seems strange to me. Can anyone suggest a way to fix this? Does this happen to other people, too?

I have an iMac 4,1. 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OSX 10.6.8, Game Salad 0.9.6 beta free.

Comments

• RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    The same thing happens to me, that is on my macbook.
    When I play the game on my imac, it works fine.
    Also, my computer has no idea how to open or play an ogg file, if just displays as an unknown document. I've tried opening it with itunes and it is not working!
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one with the problem!
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    I'm wondering if the problem could be fixed by installing the OGG codec or something?

I tried that, and could play the files, but it didn't help the Game Salad situation for me.

I've been importing from WAV files now instead anyway, but alas, the sounds re not playing.

Does MUSIC work for you? MUSIC is fine for me, just can't hear any SOUNDFX!

Very frustrating.

Has anyone fixed this problem for themselves? I would LOVE to know how to fix it!

I'm making plenty of progress with the rest of Game Salad, but this lack of Sound FX is kinda hurting me, because I'm working on games with a focus on sound! :)

Agghh! Help, please!

- Murray
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Rumi,

Could you please post the specifications for both of your computers, seeing as one works, and the other doesn't? I'm wondering if I could spot anything between their differences that sheds light on the matter!

Also, could you let me know if MUSIC works for you, even if SOUNDFX doesn't?

Also, on the computer that SOUNDFX do work for you, can you play OGG files on that computer? But not the other one? Just wondering if there's a correlation there...

Thanks!
    I can play the ogg files on my imac, and its set to open with itunes. and if i move that ogg file to the macbook, i can play it fine. even in gamesalad. but if i get my own ogg files and try to open them with itunes, nothing happens. Music works fine! My macbook has the following specs:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.4f12
    Serial Number (system): 4H619A9XU9C
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CBA4A0D1
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    imac is:
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.53f13
    Serial Number (system): YD01121K5PE
    Hardware UUID: AF757039-9975-5DBB-B207-B2A29C28E8F4
    Oh and all other sound files work fine.
    But since gamesalad converts them to ogg, they don't play in the engine.
    bump