OFFICIAL GS 0.9.6 OS X LION COMPATIBILITY POST

JillSaladJillSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 43
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Gentle users!

We regret to inform you that the most recent version of GameSalad, 0.9.6, was not designed to be compatible with OS X Lion.

If you rely heavily on GameSalad, and have not yet upgraded, we strongly recommend against doing so.

Some users who have already upgraded to Lion are experiencing difficulties with Creator.

We are working to correct this for an upcoming version.

If you are experiencing issues with GameSalad 0.9.6 on OS X Lion, please send a copy of your gameproj (or a link to a dropbox location or similar), as well as a detailed description for reproduction, to bugs@gamesalad.com.

Additionally, please answer the following questions in your email.

1. Please send us your machine specs. The easiest way to get all the information we need is to:
Click on the Apple
Choose "About This Mac"
Choose "more information"
Choose "System Report" (it's a button)
Choose "File Menu"
Choose "Export As Text"
Save and attach that file to your bug report

2. How did you acquire to Lion? Did you purchase it new, or did you upgrade?

3. Are you using an Admin account or a Guest account on your machine?
- Are the file permissions set appropriately? (Sometimes upgrade OS automatically sets something wrong for saving)

4. Are you using a brand new file project or using an old one?

Having this information will help us resolve these issues in a timely fashion.

We appreciate your understanding, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks, you guys!

-JillSalad

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Good Idea Jill, Might I suggest Making this a sticky and clearing out several other stickies so people actually see it.
  • JillSaladJillSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 43
    It should be a sticky now.
  • NeverbeNeverbe Member Posts: 117
    When the upgraded version will be available?
  • JillSaladJillSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 43
    We will make another post when we know when it will be available.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    It would have been nice to see this post before Lion was released :(
    The creator is crashing on me almost every time I preview, and sometimes even in the middle of saving. Please fix this soon!
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    I have yet to get lion because of this! Can't wait for the update though. Lion looks really cool. Hope it gets out soon!
  • BahtiyarBahtiyar Member Posts: 29
    I already upgraded to lion :( GameSalad constantly crashing then there will be new release?
    Too many bugs on GameSalad.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    GameSalad does work in Lion. I used it for over 5 weeks almost every day. It did crash occasionally and I feel it ran slower, but it was completely useable.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    jonmulcahy said:
    GameSalad does work in Lion. I used it for over 5 weeks almost every day. It did crash occasionally and I feel it ran slower, but it was completely useable.

+ 1

It just run a little slower but overall it is solid. I hope they won't make the mistake of rushing out with a new update but instead make a better work by testing it properly and by fixing bugs.
  • DZTECHDZTECH Member, PRO Posts: 216
    I have been using game salad on lion ever since the first lion beta was released and it worked fine. Also for those of you that are saying you are waiting to upgrade to lion because of this you can upgrade and then with bootcamp make a 15gb snow leopard partition with the disk that came with your mac. That way you have lion and have snow leopard for game salad. Then once the lion version comes out delete the snow leopard partition.
    Another thing that is really nice is resume and autosave in Lion work with GameSalad as well
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    I've run lion for about 20 days

works great with me
  • BahtiyarBahtiyar Member Posts: 29
    I had to re-install snow leopard after problem with gamesalad on lion.
    Bahtiyar said:
    I had to re-install snow leopard after problem with gamesalad on lion.

Why don't you just make a small snow leopard partition and just run game salad on that
  • KevinCKevinC Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2011 Mac Mini this past weekend with Lion installed. So far i have not had a problem with Game Salad, although I am still very new to the program. Perhaps the issue is upgrading Leopard to Lion.
  • BlackbirdStudiosBlackbirdStudios Member Posts: 493
    KevinC said:
    I purchased a 2011 Mac Mini this past weekend with Lion installed. So far i have not had a problem with Game Salad, although I am still very new to the program. Perhaps the issue is upgrading Leopard to Lion.

Have you saved yet? That is where the issue comes in. All of your hard work, just down the drain...
    BlackbirdStudios said:
    Have you saved yet? That is where the issue comes in. All of your hard work, just down the drain...

i worked on lion exclusively with A Long Way Home for 6 weeks, never had any problems saving.
  • BlackbirdStudiosBlackbirdStudios Member Posts: 493
    jonmulcahy said:
    i worked on lion exclusively with A Long Way Home for 6 weeks, never had any problems saving.

I can't save anything without crashing. Any suggestions?
    what are your system specs / os / gs version?

what happens if you try and open one of the template files and make a change and save it
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    works fine for me...a little bit slow but that's it...not crashed during 4 nights use...saving fine.

If anyone is complaining and using a Hackingtosh setup that would explain a lot..
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    stormystudio said:
    works fine for me...a little bit slow but that's it...not crashed during 4 nights use...saving fine.

If anyone is complaining and using a Hackingtosh setup that would explain a lot..

What mac are you using stormy, just out of curiosity?

- Alex
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    For me works great, no problem at All, And I don't notice it more slow... I Think it has crashed only once.

Cheers.
  • akhilakhil Member Posts: 9
    iOS Viewer is not working on Lion.

It appears that Templates bullion variable are not behavinng right.
  • akhilakhil Member Posts: 9
    I have upgraded my OS to Lion.
  • KevinCKevinC Member Posts: 3
    BlackbirdStudios said:

Yes I am able to save and open projects without any problems. I have not had an issue with Game Salad crashing with Lion. I am using an i5 mini and Lion was already installed when I purchased my Mac.
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    i notice that it crashes more on iPad games...
  • ApplaudAppsApplaudApps Member Posts: 308
    No crashing for me in Lion but the image thumbnails in the images library disappear. Only way to get them back is shut down and restart.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    ApplaudApps said:
    No crashing for me in Lion but the image thumbnails in the images library disappear. Only way to get them back is shut down and restart.

I have this problem as well. Not really a big problem, but it does make looking up actors harder.
  • MetzoPainoMetzoPaino Member Posts: 195
    I've been running Game Salad with Lion on an early 2008 15 inch Macbook pro for a little while. Game Salad is more solid than other software which isn't designed for Lion, but I'm getting the spinning beach ball an awful lot more than I used to. I'd say you could upgrade to Lion and the downsides aren't that great (especially if you have a newer machine), but if you're nearing the end of a project I wouldn't risk it.

I really hope a fully featured Lion version of Game Salad comes out, automatic saving and full screen capabilities would be grand.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    I have been using Lion since the first beta version and haven't really ran in to any problems at all other than crashing - Let's be fair though, it is GameSalad. I'd be disappointed if it didn't crash. It'd mean the cmd+S after every single click habit that GS has given me would be redundant and if that habit went, I'd have to turn to drugs or something. See, GameSalad's instability is keeping people clean :)

Ace
This discussion has been closed.