Lion

Arceus498Arceus498 Member Posts: 5
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I am so excited!

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    New Mac Hardware is out too.

It's strange, even though I like the new Mac Mini, my 2009 Mac Mini doesn't feel old to me. I like how the newer model makes it easy to upgrade RAM. Heh, because the old way... http://photics.com/a-memory-upgrade-for-my-mac-mini ...was a bit of a challenge.

I'm disappointed with the new MacBook Air... it's still too expensive. It seems like a regular Macbook Pro would make more sense.

I'm a bit confused about being a developer and downloading Lion. It seems that I have access to all the OS downloads... even expensive server software. That's strange to me.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Purchased Lion and it's downloading very slowly now....I've got a fast connection here so must be Apples end...lots of people wanting it I guess.....though it is 3.4Gb so it might take a while either way...

I always like the look of the Mac Books Airs (new versions)....very tempting...when my macbook finally dies I think a MacBookPro will still win out...
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I want it bad, but I hear GS runs a wee bit slow on it. So I may wait for the next GS update to see if it addresses that. If it's not going to, I guess there is no need to wait...
    stormystudio said:
    I always like the look of the Mac Books Airs (new versions)....very tempting...when my macbook finally dies I think a MacBookPro will still win out...

The MacBook Air does have a great look, but the specs on the base model is dismal. The $999 model only has 2GB of ram and 64GB of storage space. My two year old Mac Mini has better than that, so it's hardly an upgrade for me. A faster processor is nice, but it's a laptop.

...and I don't see the White Macbook anymore on Apple's site... looks like Apple killed it.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/
  • DoManDoMan Member Posts: 102
    Got a friend that hates Apple? Just show the start page of the mac mini. See if they if they can beat that. Rather have a clunky plastic insert coin notebook, that takes 20 minutes to boot up, or a Macbook Air, that boots in a second? Beat that windows.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    awesome!
    DoMan said:
    Got a friend that hates Apple? Just show the start page of the mac mini. See if they if they can beat that.
    I like the Mac Mini, but not the new one. It doesn't have an optical drive. The original Mac Mini was $499. This new one is $599 without an optical drive. So, even though it has an HDMI port, that's less useful to me without a DVD player.
    You can get the external optical drive, but that's another $80 on top of everything else.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Lion is installing... Woop!.... 27 minutes to go... before my mac implodes...
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Just about to download! Hope it doesn't cause any problems!
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    SlickZero said:
    You can get the external optical drive, but that's another $80 on top of everything else.

I got a nice 1tb drive for like $50and it was the western digital one too

Cheers, Weswog
  • DoManDoMan Member Posts: 102
    Do you think it would be wise to download it on a 384k line?
  • Arceus498Arceus498 Member Posts: 5
    Apple has released Mac OSX 10.7 Lion and now if I update will GameSalad be compatible with this newly released operating system?
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    (merged the 2 threads)
    Heh, I realized that I went from liking the new Mac Mini to disliking it in just one hour :)
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    For those who have installed Lion, I'll ask the question I'm sure a lot of people are wondering.

How does GameSalad react to OS X Lion!

I need to know weather to update or not, so if anyone has any advice, please share :)

- Alex
    osucowboy18 said:
    For those who have installed Lion, I'll ask the question I'm sure a lot of people are wondering.

How does GameSalad react to OS X Lion!

I need to know weather to update or not, so if anyone has any advice, please share :)

- Alex

jonmulcahy said it runs better on snow leopard
    Oh great :( Now I am wondering weather I should get it now, or just wait for the next version of GameSalad. Hmmm decisions, decisions.
    Well he said it runs better on snow leopard not that its terrible on lion so i wouldnt think it would be terribly bad. But I know i plan on waiting though
    Thanks John. Well I guess I could always install Lion on my Mac mini and see how GameSalad responds, and if the slow-down is acceptable, then I'll upgrade my MacBook Pro (which is the computer I use primarily) to the new version. Still trying to decide, but I may end up waiting until GS releases a new version.
    I upgraded to OS X Lion early today and ever since gamesalad has been running very slowly on my mac. It was much faster when my mac was running on snow leopard. Anyone else experiencing these slowdowns in GS with OSX Lion?
    yes jonmulcahy said it runs slower on lion then on snow leopard. Check out the other lion thread for a bigger discussion about it. Ill merge these after you see this :)

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=28238
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    I haven't experienced really any slowdowns but I did just get lion

Cheers, Weswog
    Thanks John, merge away! I hope the next gs update will fix this.

Weswog, do you think it might depend on your computers ram and processor?
    When I open small projects they still run pretty fast, its mostly when I open some of my larger projects where I am able to notice the slowdowns
  • daniel184daniel184 Member Posts: 28
    I took the plunge. GameSalad seems to run fine for me so far, but it's only been a few hours. I haven't noticed any slow downs yet.
  • SRS777SRS777 Member Posts: 83
    if your an OSX developer do you get Lion for free or do you have to pay the 30 bucks?
    It could depend on how much RAM you have. Has anyone downloaded on a new MacBook Pro with an i5 intel core 2 duo processor? If so, what slow-downs (if any) did you experience?
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    You will get it for free if you are registered as a Mac Developer.

In that case go to developer.apple.com in the Mac section a you can get a redeem code that you can use on the Mac App Store.

I just installed it that way.

Also now 80% of the time i preview my game in the creator it just crashes on me. This never happened to me before when i was running snow leopard.