Possible bug 0.95: attributes from copied actor

LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hi,

I might have stumbled upon a bug while building my TOTB3 project.

scenario:
Actor 1: 5 atributes
Attribute1
Attribute2
Attribute3
Attribute4
Attribute5

These attributes are all used in rules or interpolate, etc. in this actor 1

I need a second actor with some of these attributes so made a copy of actor 1 and named it actor 2

actor 2:
Attributes 4 and 5 are deleted:
Attribute1
Attribute2
Attribute3

Then Attribute 4 and 5 are still in actor one but on all instances in rules, interpolates, etc. they are replaced by a zero.
I get no errors of missing attributes in actor 1.

My guess is that the same id's are used in actor 1 and 2.
I can confirm this because when I copy a rule with an attribute (attribute1 for example) from actor 2 into actor 1 or vise versa it does not make this attribute blank (or zero) as it normally would when you copy stuff from one actor to the other with self. attributes.

I don't have time to test much because I am trying to win a contest so no time ;)

Can anyone else confirm this.

Cheers,
Ludwig

Comments

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Hi,

More similar to this problem.
    When I have an attribute on stage that has been altered. So it is 'disconnected' from the prototype.
    Copying behaviors inside this often results in an empty attribute.
    For example:
    Change attribute game.actorxposition to self.position
    results in an empty field where there was self.position.
    Also when I copy the actor itself on the stage it gives me empty attributes like this.

This slows down my TOTB3 build, boooohooo!

Anyone able to reproduce this?

Cheers,
    Ludwig
  • jamesmunro2jamesmunro2 Member Posts: 130
    I have had a similar thing occur to me. I had to reset all of the blank fields that appeared by hand, just as you did. I am not sure if it's a bug, or a "safety feature".

Suddenly I started getting all kinds of weird errors I never got before. It does slow things down when working, but at least it's an easy fix on our end.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    I know you loose references through 'my behaviours' but I always thought it was down to them being actor specific. Also I tend not to use copy and paste between actors after some serious disasters in 9.3. From the sound of it I shan't bother trying until it's stable.

kipper
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Thanks for the replies.
    Happy that its not me. It freaks me out ;)

I can work around it but I get it a lot because I am using a lot of on stage references to other actors. (XY positions and such).

It takes a lot of time specially when an actor starts acting weird after I altered something and I think is this alteration causing it when in fact it is a behavior jumping to zero. I can live with that for now, Actors are weird anyway ain't they ;)

Cheerio
    Ludwig