Bug? - Open URL does not work in HTML5 web preview

tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
edited November -1 in Tech Support
As the title says. Is this by default or not? I would be nice to link directly to our AppStore versions from inside the Game.

Comments

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    I assume this does actually work on build if it doesnt on preview. I saw on Space Wolves and Air Supply links to the full version on the appstore
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Be nice to know for sure. I would rather not have a click here button that doesn't work.
    Just played air supply online links don't seem to work for me. Can anyone else confirm this or tell me i'm nuts?
  • MichaelRandoMichaelRando Member Posts: 16
    The links count as pop-ups; when they appear not to work you're blocking popups is all.
    MichaelRando said:
    The links count as pop-ups; when they appear not to work you're blocking popups is all.

I see. Anyway to get it to allow the popups Some sites manage to bypass popup blocking. Thats not gonna be real useful as most people block popups.
    Some sites do; but being more aggressive in our OpenURL implementation was the sort of thing user feedback should drive; we don't want a system that's abused or capable of the old days of popup hell.

I open the question to the community, from an iframe what's better than window.open("url") for signaling openURL on click?
    Ah it doesnt seem to open on safari, the popup request opened on firefox ... hmm ... this could be a problem!
  • GreekSaladGreekSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 36
    @beefy_clyro

- Safari hides your pop up blocker. Go to the Safari tab and disable "Block Pop Up Windows"
    Ah yes, of course! A more aggressive way to open would be great, a lot of people playing ill just assume it doesnt work if nothing pops up

Cheers
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    Yeah I agree. If someone has clicked on a link they want to see something. So its not a spam pop up. Makes the game seem broke if links don't appear to work properly.
    HoneyTribeStudios said:
    Yeah I agree. If someone has clicked on a link they want to see something. So its not a spam pop up. Makes the game seem broke if links don't appear to work properly.

Yep I wont be putting any links in the Arcade version on game until something is Changed there. Thats a bit of a downer to be honest.
    tenrdrmer said:
    Yep I wont be putting any links in the Arcade version on game until something is Changed there. Thats a bit of a downer to be honest.

It's working as well as Safari lets it work. Do you have an example page where Safari lets you click a link in an iframe and a new browser window opens up, despite the popup blocker?

Do you want us to redirect out of the game experience and go straight to the link location instead? Globally / per browser?

This is an opportunity to engage a problem and help out vs [removed by better judgment]
    Well honestly Im not a web developer with the exception of setting up a joomla based website. So aside from knowing what an iFrame is I have no idea on how any of that works. I do think the XAT chat rooms I have embedded into pages before use iFrames and I know they pop out a new window for links. I could be wrong though. That may have been a different chat software I used at one point that was an iFrame. Like I said. Not a real web developer.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    @MichaelRando I clicked a random game on Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/wittyhobos/skinny

It has a link in the game 'also play coma' on the bottom right of the menu. This opens up a new browser window in safari with the pop up blocker activated.

Dunno if that helps?

But yes, I think a link being clicked should redirect out of the game and open a new window/tab. Most of the links in these games are going to be ones that direct the player to buy the full version on itunes.
    http://www.appsoluteentertainment.com/iframetest.html

I added an iframe with the GameSalad site in it. Scroll down to the bottom and click the cookbook link. Opens in a new tab with no apparent issues. Hopefully you guys can find something there to make it work. Again. I have no idea why it works just know it does. And yes I have not changed any popup settings.

Thanks
    Aaron
    Yes anything really, im not a web developer so have no idea, really, something just needs to happen! Whether it be a new tab, new window, i dont know, just if a user clicks, regardless, something should happen!

Cheers
    beefy_clyro said:
    Yes anything really, im not a web developer so have no idea, really, something just needs to happen! Whether it be a new tab, new window, i dont know, just if a user clicks, regardless, something should happen!

Cheers

I agree. Obviously not closing the game would be ideal but as long as its from a menu and not in the middle of GamePlay its prob not gonna be a huge issue.

So did the iFrame with GameSalad.com on my site help you guys get any ideas.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    MichaelRando said:
    This is an opportunity to engage a problem and help out

Hi Michael, seems like you've been posting a lot lately.

Anyway, I'm confused... is the concern that OpenURL could be used to trigger a lot of spam links... as the user doesn't even need to click on the link for a page to open?

Ideally, the links should all open in a new tab/window as that won't interrupt the game. Yet, spammers could use that to trigger hundreds of windows opening. Yet... you could just go in and delete their account. Basically... it's community monitoring vs. developer features.

The export to HTML 5 solves this problem. I think GameSalad is limiting the potential of the software by trying to enter the realm of content creation. If that's what you really want to do, then you become responsible for maintaining that content.

OpenURL in HTML 5 should open a new page. (That's what I think anyway)
    Add a limiter, so it can't be auto-fired... like a warning or a time-delay if two links are fired quickly.

To help police the community, there should be report links... and maybe a warning on new games from developers that are less than 30 days active.

I am a real web developer, but I don't understand the issue :)
    MichaelRando said:
    I open the question to the community, from an iframe what's better than window.open("url") for signaling openURL on click?

I think the problem is iFrame. It's the easiest way to do this, but I'm not sure if it's the best. Couldn't the code be "included" on another page? I could probably do this with PHP, but obviously everyone can't do that... what about JavaScript... or does that create security issues?

iFrame breaks page layout on the iPhone browser. People might not care about that, as they should just buy the app version of the game... and YouTube HTML 5 works with iFrame embedding.

==============

...and for those that want to follow along...

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_open.asp

...and that's why I don't understand the question. The target can be specified, so that links open in the same frame, same page or new window. Is that the issue... is this being blocked?

What's been used now? _blank?
    Photics said:
    Hi Michael, seems like you've been posting a lot lately.

I've been around ~1 year, but I intentionally minimized my visible presence here. Until yesterday I could not answer the question what-do-you-do-for-Gamesalad very well. ;)
    Photics said:
    I am a real web developer, but I don't understand the issue :)

OpenURL's desired functionality is not the question. It's more about Safari browser, it treats our call as a pop-up. (because it is.) Dealing with that; let's call it a post 0.95 issue and go from there.
    MichaelRando said:
    OpenURL's desired functionality is not the question. It's more about Safari browser, it treats our call as a pop-up. (because it is.) Dealing with that; let's call it a post 0.95 issue and go from there.

I don't know what that last line means. HA! :)

I'm new to HTML 5... so regular hyperlinks can't be assigned to HTML 5 elements?

What about spawning links in another iFrame? If you're going to go ugly... go all the way. WordPress uses iFrame in Divs in the admin section. It's quite nice looking actually. That would solve the problem of keeping the game on the page. Ofcourse, you'd be stuck in a 480x320 window. HA... or is there a way to breakout of the frame and still stay on the page? (I doubt it.)

These are just crazy ideas. I still frown against iFrames.

Actually... the iFrame would work... and fight the spam problem. When the OpenURL behavior is used, an iFrame within the iFrame (Inception) is spawned. It asks... do you want to leave the game? If you click yes, it opens the link in a new window. The link - a regular hyperlink hidden in an OK button - is dynamically generated based on a post method from the GameSalad game. The game is paused while the inception iFrame is active.

Ugly... but it would work.
    MichaelRando said:
    let's call it a post 0.95 issue and go from there.

What does that mean. You'll Look into it if you get bored? Deal with it?
    tenrdrmer said:
    What does that mean. You'll Look into it if you get bored? Deal with it?

Means it should work now. Let me know if you still have any problems, and/or email to bugs@gamesalad.com