HTML5 = Money ?

ForcingForcing Member Posts: 93
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
How to make money with HTML5? (With facebook?)

Comments

• DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    Wait till Facebook launches their HTML5 based app store?
  • ForcingForcing Member Posts: 93
    i didn´t knew that?
  • XpandemicXpandemic Member Posts: 157
    Nice didnt know facebook had an app store planned.

1. You can sell them in Google Chrome marketplace
    2. On your own site, lots of different ways you can monetize
    3. I'm 900% sure a lot of html5 app marketplaces will start popping up (HUGE opportunity if you create your own platform)
    4. ebay?? :D jk
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Isn't the game tethered to GameSalad.com though?

With Flash, I can put a .swf file on my server.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I'm a bit skeptical about HTML5 with monetization, but it's worth a shot! Having it on Facebook would be 100 kinds of awesome!
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    This has been the cornerstone of my business plan for the last two years. Here's my plan. I have a middle textbook on the human body that uses music to engage students (hence "sciTunes"). The music can be played free through a music player on the site and NOW I can also have free human body games on my site that can be played in middle school computer labs around the country/world! The textbook (workbook that students write in) ties the games and music into the classroom curriculum.

My task this summer before the beginning of next school year is to get all my human body games polished up and loaded on my site. Then I can finally start marketing my curriculum to teachers and school districts.

I can't wait to get my house packed, move to Indiana this weekend, and do sciTunes Education Products FULL TIME!!!!!
    butterbean said:
    As for me, I don't know what to think about these changes. I had a great morning... got to my computer... saw the update... and was instantly disappointed.

Man are you ever happy with a new release?
    Question for you, if i pay your Corona membership would you consider moving on?

This is a great day, HTML5 and OpenGl Chrome is the start of amazing opportunities.

T
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Photics said:
    butterbean said:
    I'm a bit skeptical about HTML5 with monetization, but it's worth a shot! Having it on Facebook would be 100 kinds of awesome!

I think the monetization happens with GameSalad. This can be a moneymaker for them. Although, the way this is setup, I think they're going the wrong way. Right now, it's GameSalad branded HTML 5 games... a YouTube for games. Sure, you can use iFrame (crude html) to put it on other websites, but that limits the usefulness of the option. It can't be used professionally.

So what if it was branding free... something more like Flash...

GameSalad would grow beyond a toy. It would be a tool for web developers everywhere... an easy way to create interactive web elements, without programming. It would also make GameSalad more competitive as an SDK.

scitunes said:
    I can't wait to get my house packed, move to Indiana this weekend, and do sciTunes Education Products FULL TIME!!!!!

That's cool for you. It looks like you got a business plan setup.

As for me, I don't know what to think about these changes. I had a great morning... got to my computer... saw the update... and was instantly disappointed.

Photics I don't think I've ever seen you be happy with an update :)
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    scitunes said:
    This has been the cornerstone of my business plan for the last two years. Here's my plan. I have a middle textbook on the human body that uses music to engage students (hence "sciTunes"). The music can be played free through a music player on the site and NOW I can also have free human body games on my site that can be played in middle school computer labs around the country/world! The textbook (workbook that students write in) ties the games and music into the classroom curriculum.

My task this summer before the beginning of next school year is to get all my human body games polished up and loaded on my site. Then I can finally start marketing my curriculum to teachers and school districts.

Sounds like games development is working out for you - hope it continues to go well. I'll be so glad when i start to make an income out of this. (First game still not out yet)

I'll be interested to hear the GS ideas on monetizing web games. The normal way with flash games is sponsorship, i.e a game site pays you to put their splash screen on your game and they host it too.

Maybe the facebook app/credits thing is what they are talking about?

I'm glad that we can make little interactive bits and pieces to put on our site. Could do some creative things using other websites as part of the game experience (clue hunting/fact finding etc)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    tshirtbooth said:
    Photics, im sry ... i hit edit rather then Quote and F'ed up your post.
    please post again.

My back button had saved it, i just quoted it in my post above.
    Here's a rewrite of what I posted earlier...
    butterbean said:
    I'm a bit skeptical about HTML5 with monetization, but it's worth a shot!

The real monetization is for GameSalad. This is like a YouTube for games... and maybe GameSalad can generate some revenue through a more popular website... but that's why I think the focus is in the wrong place. The games are tethered to GameSalad. It's HTML 5 games, with a GameSalad logo. That limits the use of what's actually a pretty awesome feature.

There was a popular app on the Mac App Store called HYPE, which doesn't seem as powerful as what GameSalad can do. Yet, because GameSalad has a reputation as a toy, it limits the potential.

The ability to post games to GameSalad.com... or have GameSalad branded games on my website... doesn't interest me. Yet, I see potential here. This could be powerful web development software...

1 - Custom sizes (480x320 is not enough... a full-screen option seems ideal)
    2 - Lose the branding / export like Flash
    3 - More stability... although, that's the nature of HTML 5. It's still new technology.
    scitunes said:

Well it's cool that you have a business plan. That seems like an exciting opportunity!

As for me, I was in a great mood this morning. I went to my computer... looked at the changes to GameSalad... and I was instantly disappointed. I don't see how this benefits me. I'm not interested in Google Chrome. I like what Apple built and this seems surprising to me. It's like Mickey Mouse is secretly trashing Apple's walled garden.

Does the world really need another Kongregate?

I think HTML 5 based GAME CREATION would have been a much better use of resources.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    tshirtbooth said:

+1 .........:)
    tshirtbooth said:

The irony of this statement as that seems the career path for most GameSalad developers... stuff like this is the reason why. I bought a pro license to remove the GameSalad logo from my games. This new feature puts it back on. It seems pretty logical why I'm not excited about Project Masala.

Maybe there's potential here, but it's pretty rough... that's the nature of HTML 5 though. It's bleeding-edge technology.

Here's another way to look at it...

Project Masala:
    Play GameSalad games on your PC (certain web browsers required... might not work exactly right.)

What it should have been...
    MAKE GameSalad games on your PC
    @ Photics - you only want GS creator on windows so you can sell more textbooks. Which is fair enough I suppose.

I would have thought they'll do it eventually in one form or another. GS might actually end up making loads of $$$
    HoneyTribeStudios said:
    @ Photics - you only want GS creator on windows so you can sell more textbooks. Which is fair enough I suppose.

That's a good reason... ha... but there are others.

If I would sell more copies of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook, wouldn't it seem logical that GameSalad would sell more copies of their software? Isn't that the main objective? I thought GameSalad was about game creation software... now they're like a content company too.

PCs are cheaper than Macs. I don't want to spend $1000+ on a Macbook when I can get a $300 netbook that does pretty much the same thing.

The GameSalad Creator is kinda buggy. It seems like a way to improve and simply the software. A GameSalad project is basically XML and content files anyway.
  • youngster9youngster9 Member Posts: 326
    When gamesalad adds android publishing then it will probably add a windows version. What would be the use of gamesalad on pc if you could only publish to ios and mac. You need a mac to publish to those. So this is a step towards gamesalad on pc. The next step is to add android and then gamesalad pc can publish to Android and web. But not ios or mac. Also tshirtbooth said on another conversation that with this new feature you can publish on the chrome app store. It is really cheap also. Only a one time 5$ fee. You can put paid apps on there too. Zombie Drop is already on the store.
  • SkyMapleSkyMaple Member Posts: 817
    Is the gamesalad logo on html5 and iPhone games now even for pros? I'm confused...
    The idea of HTML5 is to get your game noticed by people who may not have seen it on the iOS devices, and drive traffic to your paid app. I've noticed a lot of iOS apps in the google chrome store including Angry Birds, Canabalt, and other popular games.

Although I'm a tad skeptical at this point with driving traffic to paid apps, it's a great stepping stone, and will open the door to opportunities in the future like with Facebook's app store and other monetization features.

This is exciting times!
    I agree with Tshirt. Also, Gamesalad needs to market their brand too in order to keep business flowing, and gain customers themselves. This is a win-win scenario for both developers and Gamesalad, and you have to look at it from this perspective.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    I agree with a lot of what Photics has said... I was rather disappointed to see this news... to me its basically GameSalad Direct part2.

It worries me to see Gamesalad always prioritise adding new distribution streams over actually improving and updating the core engine/tools.

Theyd increase their userbase no end if they only addressed all the shortcomings of the editor.

The new Arcade is going to end up like GameMaker.... just chock full of rubbish, with a handful of good games hidden amongst the chaff.
    It makes sense that GS works towards being an SDK that can export to almost any platform.

At the same time, I do kind of agree. Imagine if all the teams were working on ios creator development. How cool would GS for iphone already be then?

But still, a few people have proved that older versions of GS were good enough for them to make successful games. So us being able to publish to variety of platforms with minimal porting work is pretty good.

Anyone who is here is still learning about game development though, so we can keep doing that while GS gets better, ready for whatever we make next.
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    I think what Photics is missing is that HTML5 doesn't end with embedding games into sites and Chrome.

Facebook is looking to compete stiffly with Apple's app store with their own, HTML5 based app store/platform. This is where HTML5 support for GS will make a huge splash.
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    If Game salad's plan is to export to any platform, Im excited already! I the only other option would be unity but I would rather make 2D games and that is why I am here. I am already salivating over the chrome marketplace and the facebook marketplace as well :)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    @chunky did u not read what t shirt posted? Masala doesn't delay any changes to the core sdk, there's different dev teams for different things.

And guys It's only been a couple hours and this is a huge start. Plug in is gone, chrome app store coming, Facebook app store and most likely removal of gs for
    Pro members, and I'm sure there's tons of other stuff there planning, there so much to come!

If u don't relize that and ur not excited, you must have your head where the sun don't shine ;)
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    @JohnPapiomitis

yup..i read what Tshirt said... but that doesnt mean that GS hasnt prioritised HTML5 over improving the editor.

Theyve obviously spent a hell of a lot of time, resources and money on planning and executing the HTML5 stuff, and although it probably is using different teams/engineers, its still obviously had a hell of a lot more invested in it, to get it done so quickly, compared to the editor improvements.

People have been asking for basic editor improvements for well over a year... snap to grid, multiple copy/paste of actors, layer tools, sprite tools, arrays etc... and none...read NONE of those have turned up in updates... yet weve had multiple major pushes in distribution tech, such as GameSalad Direct and now HTML5.

Dont get me wrong...the HTML5 stuff might turn out to be great further down the road.... but improving the editor to a proper 1.0 version should always have taken priority.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @Chunkypixels

Thanks for your response. I'd like you, and the entire Community to know, that now that the new GameSalad Arcade is out the door and live, our number one priority is bringing the GameSalad Creator to 1.0.

What does 1.0 mean?

That can mean a lot of different things depending on who you ask, whether that's a new developer who just downloaded to tool for the first time or an experience GS developer like yourself or even a founder of GameSalad, who's been working on this since before there were any offices, any employees, and certainly any paychecks.

Over the next couple of weeks we will be asking this community to engage in an active conversation on what 1.0 should be. We'll be asking this community to participate in surveys over email, discussion threads on this forum, as well as other venues.

This will become the Summer of 1.0, and I think that's going to be very exciting.

To be bluntly honest, I am hoping for image flipping, layers, grids, and some form of arrays, but my voice isn't the only one.

Again, thanks for the feedback and I hope we can alleviate your concerns with our push for 1.0 over the course of this summer.

--Yodapollo
  • MichaelRandoMichaelRando Member Posts: 16
    @Photics @uptimistik @Chunkypixels Your point(s) are legitimate and I encourage you to positively promote for core engine improvements and new features.

Please keep in mind we'd be happy to accelerate our updates; but doing that means not every update will have blockbuster new features. Getting the Creator to memory stability (0.9.4) was a nice accomplishment for native team. It's a little soon for new iOS stuff. This release is about our HTML5 effort that predates Direct and the funding. But more native goodies are in the pipe.

Be assured engine improvements & features are always happening; we are on the same page.

@uptimistik You're not in dark anymore. Devs like myself will appear from time to time, just as long as the forums are a supportive, optimistic environment where we can collaborate on the future of GameSalad together.
    Ok, for 1.0 - I think the best thing would be if the engine was REALLY efficient. Have you played GeoDefence (an excellent game)? Imagine trying to do that with GS in its current state. No chance with all the explosions, particles and objects on screen when it gets manic.

So as close to possible as no loading times. Every review I've read of a GS game complains about the loading times.
    Being able to have loads of images moving on screen at the same time without killing the framerate of older devices.
    Being able to use loads of images and sound at the same time without killing the RAM on older devices.
    Having a bit more manual control over the memory use.

And then all the useful stuff like arrays and snap to grid etc.
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    I'd love for speed improvements as Honey said, but I've been around here long enough that it doesn't seem probable.

What I'd like to see:

- Instance attributes modifiable without going to a different screen.
    - The ability to re-arrange and group into folders for: global variables, images, sounds
    - The ability to lock layers
    - Image flipping
    - Grids and the ability to snap to them
    - Arrays, even if they are just integers for now
    - Better text editing (importing fonts and improving how it looks on retina display, mainly)
    - The ability to spawn particles BEHIND an actor

I'd be ecstatic if 1.0 could include these.

Edit: Macewan I deleted your post containing a link to a tutorial.