Are we sure that RI works in Ad Hoc?

DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hey there guys!

I've been stumped by a crashing issue the latest few ad hoc builds of my game. So I decided to dig around to make sure that RI was actually working. It appears that there are definitely two sets of images, however when I compared screen shots from a build made in 0.9.2 vs a build made in 0.9.4 I noticed a difference in them.

It appears that the high res images are still being used on non-retina devices.

You'll notice in the screen shot that there are a lot more pixel artifacts around the edges of the characters in the old build. This is to be expected with lower resolution images. Note that I haven't change those images at all since that build was made.

I also noticed that I wasn't able to install the build on my 3G device through testflight, as it was saying that I needed an iPhone 4 despite having provisions for my 3G device. I was able to install it manually through iTunes.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here, I haven't changed my process at all since making that 0.9.2 build and that one worked perfectly. It almost seems like it isn't recognizing the fact that it's set to RI despite making both sets of images. (The final build that is)

Comments

• DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    When you published with 0.9.4 did you click on RI Immediately Before publishing? There is a bug with 0.9.4 that RI doesn't 'stay' checked.
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    DrGlickert said:
    When you published with 0.9.4 did you click on RI Immediately Before publishing? There is a bug with 0.9.4 that RI doesn't 'stay' checked.

Indeed, like I said, the build process is definitely making the two sets of images. I dug into the .app file and you can see the low res image and the @2x version for the retina. It just appears that they're not being used properly when you run the app on the device.
    No matter what I seem to do, I can't get the app to use the low res images on my 3G device. This makes me sad. I've made like 5 test builds already...
    Tried again last night, still have issues. I would suggest that people making builds with RI on, to scrutinize them. I can't be the only one having this issue.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Are you sure you used your art correctly on the 0.9.2 screen shots you have there they look pretty bad. Like it looks like you didn't have high res art in and then published with RI checked. You shouldn't see a huge difference like that even when its building it correctly wit proper sized RI art. The low res devices should look close to the high res art. the high res stuff should just be crisper
    tenrdrmer said:
    Are you sure you used your art correctly on the 0.9.2 screen shots you have there they look pretty bad. Like it looks like you didn't have high res art in and then published with RI checked. You shouldn't see a huge difference like that even when its building it correctly wit proper sized RI art. The low res devices should look close to the high res art. the high res stuff should just be crisper

I guess it should be noted that they're zoomed in like 400% in the comparison screen shot. I zoomed in (in PS) to show the difference in artifacting. And yes, the art is done correctly and everything in that respect was working wonderfully in 0.9.2

Normally it looks like this

• 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    Great, now you're worrying me. I recently submitted a new version of my game to Apple that was made in version 9.4. :/
    11clock said:
    Great, now you're worrying me. I recently submitted a new version of my game to Apple that was made in version 9.4. :/

Heh, sorry. People probably think I'm crazy or just doing it wrong...
  • 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    I retested the adhoc build. It works fine with barely any lag.