lookout GS new kid in town

BSideGamesBSideGames Member Posts: 392
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
I just saw this on TIG source... stencylworks it's a flash Drag and drop game maker windows and mac. on the road map it says iphone, ipad and tons of other stuff coming later this year.

And it's free, I'll be putting it to the test tonight.

Just thought I would share

Comments

• AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I too will try that out. At least to see what it's all about.
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    Looks pretty nice, some stiff competition is cropping up!
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Looks like it's got cloud game creation. Nice.
    *edit* it may just be chat and a marketplace but still nice.
    Did I see a built in IRC in there...SOLD!
  • youngster9youngster9 Member Posts: 326
    The way you program is just like Scratch and App Inventor for Android. I saw the video and it looks pretty good. I will try it out as soon as possible.
  • BSideGamesBSideGames Member Posts: 392
    I just found the resource packs, health bars, cut scenes, and tons of other stuff.
    The fact that it's going to let you develop for the iPhone using a PC is a pretty big deal.
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    That wont be possible to make iphone apps with windows

Cheers, Weswog
    for pc it will be only for android probably just like corona. I am downloading it right now.
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    I'll probably just use it to make flash versions of my games to post on Kongregate and such. It may be a good way to get more exposure.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Tadpole Rescue (iPod Touch/iPhone)
    i will try and recreate my games and see how they look and how easy it was to develop. If i think it is better i might switch.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    It also says will require an iOS Developer Subscription as well as an annual subscription from us wonder how much that will be?
    BBEnk said:
    It also says will require an iOS Developer Subscription as well as an annual subscription from us wonder how much that will be?

You will always need an iOS Developer Subscription it is the right to release games on the app store. If want to release games on your own you need that. The annual subscription will be like corona. If it is a good program it might be worth it.
  • FloridaGamesFloridaGames Member Posts: 328
    Im to lazy to test it out myself, but i'm interested to see what you guys will think of it.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Does the fact that ios devices dont have flash matter? or do they convert the game into some xcode project. I have no idea how that would work.
  • m456arcusm456arcus Member Posts: 189
    Won't require a Mac but will require an iOS Developer Subscription as well as an annual subscription from us.
    Hmm... wonder how much that will be? Still, looks very interesting.

Edit: Whoops, sorry BBEnk. Also, I think since Flash CS5 can make iOS games natively, this uses that as a shortcut. Maybe.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I still don't see this as a threat to GameSalad. its just flash. and most tech companies including Apple feel flash is on its way out. so why would you want to set yourself up to build games on old tech basically. I mean sure I don't really no !@#$% about flash but I wouldn't want to put my cards in technology or a development language Apple doesn't care to support?
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 602
    Cool. I signed up to their email list.

Funny, I just posted today info about the App Game Kit from the Game Creator's. Looks like iOS developers/hobbyists will be getting more and more options this year!
    tenrdrmer said:
    I still don't see this as a threat to GameSalad. its just flash. and most tech companies including Apple feel flash is on its way out. so why would you want to set yourself up to build games on old tech basically. I mean sure I don't really no !@#$% about flash but I wouldn't want to put my cards in technology or a development language Apple doesn't care to support?

Flash is on it's way out as a video and web solution. However it's found new life as a animation, app and game creation tool. I think it would be foolish to write this new comer off as not a threat, because it is. Apple doesn't have to support it, they don't support any of the SDK's that GameSalad uses like Box 2D, nor the stuff Carona uses. If it's not Xcode, Apple doesn't directly support it, so that shouldn't be a concern to you.

IMO Flash by itself is a much better game development tool than GameSalad as it currently stands, it's just that you have to code to make it happen. This tool bridges that gap. All you have to do is look at games like Alien Hominid, Fragger, No Time To Explain to see that. Actually, there are right now a bunch of really great games on the AppStore made in Flash.

Don't get me wrong I love GameSalad it's allowed me to do stuff I otherwise wouldn't be able to do on my own. You guys have to understand that competition only means GOOD things for us. It will force both companies to improve their products, and that's only good for us.
    Weswog said:
    That wont be possible to make iphone apps with windows

Cheers, Weswog

This is not accurate at all, it is very possible. You can already do it using Flash.
  • CelestialiCelestiali Member Posts: 55
    Uhmmmm... BTW the URL to find this software is http://www.stencyl.com/
    I've played around with it a bit, it's not as innate intuitive as GS is or as simple to use, but it's definitely very designer friendly. The fact that I can hide layers, is amazing.
  • rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    Not sure how much I can share, but I was part of their beta product and let me say that if you know how to use GS behaviors, you'll be pleased at how easy is to assign "behaviors" to objects...literally, if you want an object to move you just drag the "move" behavior...want to jump? Just drag the "jump" behavior and it jumps...is that easy.
    The thing I loved the most is the tileset...so cool to create a platform type layout in seconds.

Some might get intimidated because there's some coding involve to expand behavior functionality, but like all software (including GS), it takes time and practice.

Definitely worth checking out ;)

-RD
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    ^^^ Will definitely take a look :D Trying to learn some corona over the summer.
  • izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
    This is quite a big deal. And I really don't think they are going to use CS5 flash export to iOS facility. From the screenshots I gather that users can dig down to the code level. I'm assuming actionscript 3. Much like LUA used in gamesalad can be translated into xcode, Im sure the stencyl guys can use actionscript 3and do this in a similar way. I'm quite hyped up about this, because you have the ability to send your games to kongregate and others.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    NextGenEntertainment said:

I would suggest you learn GS first.

makes Coding a lot easier if you know how it works.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    NextGenEntertainment said:

Whoa wait a min you were just begging to keep people with GameSalad but you are looking elsewhere for programing?

Sorry That was rude of me. I just cant stop my fingers sometimes and my delete key is broken.
    Thanks DreamLab, good thing I don't have to worry as I know GameSalad :D

I bought a pro account about a month ago Aaron, I will DEFINITELY stay with GameSalad. Leaving, is completely different.

Enjoy Your Day,
    Matt

(I was not "begging", I was simply recommended to GS that they add that feature)
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    I just used it for a while and it is a good program and I like some of the features it has built in so I am going to wait a while to see where this goes

Cheers, Weswog
    I'm going to stop posting about this as I feel it is unnecessary, but I am working on some amazing apps, I choose to keep them hidden until I am ready to release.

Matt
This discussion has been closed.